Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really a truck but looking for tires for our Toyota Sienna AWD van. Since it is now 10 yrs old and still only has 155XX miles the OE still has good tread thinking at least 1/2 wear but 10 yrs old. They are Run Flats :banghead: so not many choices and since no spare tire and no place to put a spare tire.:banghead: almost need to stay with Run Flats.

It came with Dunlops but have been looking at Bridgestones. Driveguard or Blizzak. Yes one all season the other a Winter tire, which ever I buy I will be leaving them on year around. Winter tire will cut MPG down a little and wear out quicker compared to the Driveguard.
Had been leaning toward the Driveguard since we have the Subie and I keep winter tires on it in the winter months. But there may be a few times during the winter months we may take the van instead of the Outback. I've always been one to complain about 3 seasons tires for the area we live in . They may be fine since the small amount of snow we've had for the past couple of years.:dunno: But on the other hand the Blizzak may last us a long time since we only drive the van maybe 5000 miles a year. I've had that tread design and just putting them on a FWD and then putting them on the rear at the end of winter I could get two winters out of a set driving that vehicle 5-7 days a week 44 miles round trip to work.

May not do anything till summer before going to the beach, :dunno: I just think I want to trust a 10-11 yr old tire for a long trip. :dunno: Van has been to Amish 180 miles one way once and planning on another trip hopefully this month.

HELP :banghead:

:munch::munch:
Thanks

·
Registered
21,436 Posts
I can’t be any help but am in a similar predicament with winter/all season tires for my pickup. I am a firm believer in winter tires where I live also, but....

I have a set of Blizzaks for the Beetle Bug which are awesome. When it is icy out I feel better with that than my 4WD pickup.

But now I don’t have to go anywhere. When I was working it was no choice but to put winter tires on.

I will be needing tires by next fall. My winter tires are done. I will be running the factory all season tires this winter for the first time and quite apprehensive about it. But I can’t afford to buy 2 sets of tires within 10 months ($900 per set).

I may go with an all terrain tire that has the snowflake rating.

About the run-flat tires - why must you use them? Maybe I don’t understand.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,028 Posts
When our Forester needs tires it's getting Firestone Winterforce Tires.

·
Registered
21,436 Posts
Another thought - related to Gizmo's post -

If I were to run winter tires all year the Blizzaks would be my last choice. They have what is called micro-cell technology on the first half of the tread. This works great on ice but is prone to wear much faster especially in warm weather. I feel the Winterforce or equivalent might be the way to go.

Another possible issue with running winter tires all year is sloppiness on the highway. If you do much high speed (above 55mph) driving on the highway winter tires will be quite sloppy compared to other tires.

I only drive my pickup an average of 5k miles a year now. Almost any regular all season tire should last 40k miles at a minimum. So that would be 8 years - at the end of their useful life. I am going to look into the Winterforce tires for running all year on my pickup. If they would last 4-5 years I would be happy and problem solved for me.

·
Super Moderator
4,885 Posts
I have Blizzaks on my Tundra (4WD) for the winter and we had been using them on the other half's Infinity Q50 (AWD) but the tread life on them stinks. I put her's on her car for 2 winters and they were bald by Feb of the 2nd winter. I'll be putting mine back on the truck this week for their 2nd winter but they'll need to be replaced next spring. As I recall, they claim you'll get 40,000 miles out of them but that is very optimistic IMO.

I just put Michelin snows on her Q50 to replace the Blizzaks. They are much quieter on dry pavement than the Blizzaks and are supposed to be better on ice. We'll see how well they handle snow.

·
Administrator
20,351 Posts
Blizzaks were great in Alaska, but once the temps get up into about 40 degrees, you could almost watch the tread melt as you drive. I do not recommend them if you plan on using them year-round.

·
Registered
21,436 Posts
Blizzaks were great in Alaska, but once the temps get up into about 40 degrees, you could almost watch the tread melt as you drive. I do not recommend them if you plan on using them year-round.
That reminds me - was at a tire shop in Mass getting a tire fixed when a guy came in to get his winter snows off in April. I mentioned about how late it was doing that as it was a warm spell - he said yeh, I could see black streaks on the road behind me.

I ran Blizzaks on all my VW’s for winter and had no problem with wear. But I put them on early December and off mid March. Plus no highway driving - to work I averaged probably 40mph on all back roads.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I've always run Michelin tires on my vehicles. Better wear better ride better traction. But they are costly.

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
I don't believe many people even heard of this brand of tire, but I can say they were awesome on my wife's AWD Equinox. Mileage (a bit over 55,000) out of them was excellent, but that is with any tire when you religiously rotate and keep them aired properly. There was still enough tread to pass another inspection too!

The tire brand was Nokian, and the tire was called the WR G2. A really weird tread design. Half summer tread, and half sort of a winter or aggressive all season. Never saw anything like it before. I was very skeptical. My wife couldn't have been happier, the way they performed in the snow for 5 years.:good2:

·
Super Moderator
7,911 Posts
I don't believe many people even heard of this brand of tire, but I can say they were awesome on my wife's AWD Equinox. Mileage (a bit over 55,000) out of them was excellent, but that is with any tire when you religiously rotate and keep them aired properly. There was still enough tread to pass another inspection too!

The tire brand was Nokian, and the tire was called the WR G2. A really weird tread design. Half summer tread, and half sort of a winter or aggressive all season. Never saw anything like it before. I was very skeptical. My wife couldn't have been happier, the way they performed in the snow for 5 years.:good2:
Nokian is well known in Europe and New England for snow and all season tires. They make a good product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
14,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies,
Stan, Run Flat tire is OE tire I have no spare tire.

So far I've found , Dunlop, Bridgestone, Pirelli , Continental tires that fit the Sienna . I think 4 different tires from Bridgestone, 2 from Dunlop Price over $200 , and same for the last two.
Believe me if I could find a no name brand I would try them.

Gizmo, I like the Blizzak tire but have heard very poor mileage , I've had the Winterforce tire on the work Caravan and I liked them . I have Mastercraft winter tires for Subi and only have maybe 3000 miles on them but them seem to hold pretty good., but ofcourse they are not available in Run Flat.:banghead:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,028 Posts
Thanks for the replies,
Stan, Run Flat tire is OE tire I have no spare tire.

So far I've found , Dunlop, Bridgestone, Pirelli , Continental tires that fit the Sienna . I think 4 different tires from Bridgestone, 2 from Dunlop Price over $200 , and same for the last two.
Believe me if I could find a no name brand I would try them.

Gizmo, I like the Blizzak tire but have heard very poor mileage , I've had the Winterforce tire on the work Caravan and I liked them . I have Mastercraft winter tires for Subi and only have maybe 3000 miles on them but them seem to hold pretty good., but ofcourse they are not available in Run Flat.:banghead:
I had Mastercrafts on our Tundra, no complaints from me.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
773 Posts
Several sports cars have no room for spare tires and they don't install runflats. Manufacturer provides a tire sealer like "fix a flat" and a small air compressor that plugs into your cigarette lighter. Maybe that's an option?

·
Premium Member
14,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thinking about calling a few tire shops in Morgantown ,where I see a lot of Sienna minivans and see what they are selling.

I've been thinking about fix a flat and a compressor.

Yesterday wife and I talked and we may just go with a good all season and if a major snow storm comes along it stays in the garage and we take the Subie.

·
Registered
21,436 Posts

I was first introduced to Nokian on my TDI Club forum (diesel VW). A lot of members from Canada where Nokian seems to be the go-to tire. I am going to seriously look at them for my pickup. I really want a mild (quiet!) all terrain tire that has the snowflake (winter) rating. Of all the big manufacturers the only one I found is the BF Goodrich KO2 which is way too aggressive a tire for my needs and looks like it would be quite noisy.

I had Mastercrafts on our Tundra, no complaints from me.:thumbup1gif:
As far as I know MasterCraft is made by Cooper. I see a lot of Mastercraft tires on pickups here.

Thinking about calling a few tire shops in Morgantown ,where I see a lot of Sienna minivans and see what they are selling.

Yesterday wife and I talked and we may just go with a good all season and if a major snow storm comes along it stays in the garage and we take the Subie.
I see now about the run flats - no spare - hmmm. Maybe a AAA membership and let them deal with it?

This is how I have been the last few years. I don’t have to go anywhere. Our pantry and freezer is always stocked. I can pick and choose what day we go to town for groceries. I make sure all our doctor appointments are in before the middle of December and don’t start again until at least mid March.

Just stay home!

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
Isn't Nokian a Finnish brand? If so I would think the Finns know a thing or two about winter driving. They sure seem to be the rally car experts too.
Yes. A Finland company.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Or a small squirt bottle of soapy water and a plug kit, leaving the fix a flat for a last resort repair. That stuff isn't the best for tpm sensors if your vehicle is equipped with them. And tire shops hate it...

I had Mastercraft snow tires on my Ram' s spare wheels. Plowed snow several winters with them on the truck and they worked great...wore well enough that I swapped them onto the "good" wheels when i traded the Ram.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Several sports cars have no room for spare tires and they don't install runflats. Manufacturer provides a tire sealer like "fix a flat" and a small air compressor that plugs into your cigarette lighter. Maybe that's an option?
My 2014 Malibu has no spare but does have the fix-a-flat and air compressor you mentioned.

Have not had to use it and hope I never do.

·
Premium Member
14,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the replies and thoughts.. After talking with 2 different tire shops in Morgantown and the local shop in Bruceton . Our daughter and SIL have a Outback and they have the Goodyear TripleTred+All-Season and they like them so after much thought that is tire I'm going with.
The local shop is ordering them from Goodyear warehouse and should be here in 3-4 days. I was thinking of putting the Mastercraft LSR but then remember SIL telling how good these hold in snow. Tomorrow while in Morgantown will stop at Advance and get Fix a Flat and a decent air compressor.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Assurance+TripleTred+All-Season

1 - 20 of 23 Posts