Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we're are having a 5-7" snow event at my place...softy, fluffy snow and my first go 'round with the 1025r and 54" plow. It has been said a Bizillion times before on this forum but I thought a stone driveway might add more traction on my turf tires and just under 525lbs of ballast.....BWAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!! Let's say I'll be buying chains on Monday Morning. Sliding into turns no es bueno! This is powder...imagine ice????

My two words of the day......TIRE CHAINS!

A BELIEVER!! :flag_of_truce::flag_of_truce::flag_of_truce::flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
My 4WD 650 will go nowhere with turf tires,,,
here is a pic of the tractor stopped by the snow,, (it did back out, barely)

Add 90 pounds of 2-link chains, it pulls a 7 foot landscape rake pretty good,,,
Not perfect, but, pretty good.

I have front chains for it,, but, I am not that desperate,,, YET!! :flag_of_truce:

:laugh:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Corndog Hater
11,773 Posts
It's actually flat.
I guess the plow makes all the difference. With a full ballast box, turfs and my flat asphalt driveway, I had no traction issues. But I have a snowblower.

·
Registered
12,466 Posts
Well, we're are having a 5-7" snow event at my place...softy, fluffy snow and my first go 'round with the 1025r and 54" plow. It has been said a Bizillion times before on this forum but I thought a stone driveway might add more traction on my turf tires and just under 525lbs of ballast.....BWAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!! Let's say I'll be buying chains on Monday Morning. Sliding into turns no es bueno! This is powder...imagine ice????

:bigthumb: well -i'm glad ur seeing the light now--and putting ur CHAINS on.:lol: it could be the type of stone u have in ur driveway causing the lack of traction-:dunno: hard to tell from here:laugh: while ur getting chains-get a set with the ice cleats on the cross chain-ok. a little more money for them, but they will bite a LOT MORE-than just plain cross chain will. have fun-and good luck.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
on frozen ground, snow, or ice...there is nothing that gets more traction than tire chains, period.

I'd make sure and get a good set of 2-link spaced chains.

You will NOT regret it. My 316 has 2wd, old Goodyear turf tires, and chains, and it's almost unstoppable.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts

In the words of somone else.

Duh.

Turfs and chains is the best winter traction around here. Add obscene amounts of weight and go anywhere.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
892 Posts
I've pulled a car sideways thru twice that much snow on my 3005. I'm running R4s at about 8psi though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Bought chains for the rears and reconfigured chains that were for my old tractor that were almost new, to fit up on the front. Have R4s, which were better than the turfs on my old tractor but still needed chains. Using the bucket first snow, I had no steering. Actually don't use 4x4 a lot, just they give superior steering traction. By the way not using the bucket anymore. Wish I bought a 54 blower but have a 48 inch. Great for straight on, just not so much turning a corner. But I would imagine the 54 if turned to hard would do the same.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Corndog Hater
11,773 Posts
But I would imagine the 54 if turned to hard would do the same.
Yep. I added wings to my 47", making it 60". I still had the same problem on the curve on our driveway. I haven't used the wings in years. Not having them on also makes the 47" not seem to unwieldy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
No problem for me

I have a 1025R with turf tires and the 47" snow blower. I put wheel weights on (50 pounds each rear) and have no trouble at all. I don't even have a ballast box.

Now, I have turf tires becasue I have a lot of turf so it makes snese for me. A couple of times I have used 4WD when I am pushing a big pile but that is it

·
Registered
23,026 Posts
I have a 1025R with turf tires and the 47" snow blower. I put wheel weights on (50 pounds each rear) and have no trouble at all. I don't even have a ballast box.

Now, I have turf tires becasue I have a lot of turf so it makes snese for me. A couple of times I have used 4WD when I am pushing a big pile but that is it
Everyone has wildly different conditions as far as paved or dirt driveway, flat or steep hills. And there is a big difference if using a blower vs. plowing (pushing).

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
I bought a 430 last week. It had a blade. Weights and chains but not installed. We got 2" of powder. Wanting to play with it i plowed. My lot is fairly flat, but a small 2' rise over 10' to the street.
It went forward well but it was 5-6th strip i could finally back out to the street. On aspault or a crusty ice base it was great forward, on glare ice is was useless. I did a few 90° rotations trying to back out. In the part seen.

I added a weight bracket

And tried a flatter but glare ice section for cleanup. I got stuck sure enough. Had to yank it with the 420 and ags but on clear ashault under where my truck was parked.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I bought a 430 last week. It had a blade. Weights and chains but not installed. We got 2" of powder. Wanting to play with it i plowed. My lot is fairly flat, but a small 2' rise over 10' to the street.
It went forward well but it was 5-6th strip i could finally back out to the street. On aspault or a crusty ice base it was great forward, on glare ice is was useless. I did a few 90° rotations trying to back out. In the part seen.

I added a weight bracket

And tried a flatter but glare ice section for cleanup. I got stuck sure enough. Had to yank it with the 420 and ags but on clear ashault under where my truck was parked.

Nice 430. My 400 does the same thing with really crusty snow/ice and I have ag's on it. It just doesn't like ice. You need chains if you are dealing with a lot ice. Probably need a spreader for some salt and then hope the sun/salt do their thing and start breaking up that ice.

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Nice 430. My 400 does the same thing with really crusty snow/ice and I have ag's on it. It just doesn't like ice. You need chains if you are dealing with a lot ice. Probably need a spreader for some salt and then hope the sun/salt do their thing and start breaking up that ice.
Here is the full shot.

I get full southern expoure besdides shadows from the neighbors seen is a major factor until march.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts