Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ordering a 1025r and not sure which tires the R3 or R4. Will be used mostly on shale driveway , grassy areas, and a little in the woods. For Snowplowing, mulch ,top soil. I was leaning towards R3 as to not tear up lawn areas. Plan to use chains in the winter.

Any advise would be appreciated

·
Administrator
20,894 Posts
You have described a perfect scenario for R3s IMHO.:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
14,910 Posts
OR R4's ,never had the turfs on a 4X4 but on a rear drive only turfs not worth a dime for my 2 cents when you live on a hill side.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have had both the R3 and R4's, use the same as you discribed, I mow about 3 acres and personally I have no damage to the lawn mowing even when turning as sharp as you can with the R4s. I would not even consider the R3s when plowing snow or moving dirt, gravel or landscape work. After demonstrating both, the R4s was the way to go for me.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
I am ordering a 1025r and not sure which tires the R3 or R4. Will be used mostly on shale driveway , grassy areas, and a little in the woods. For Snowplowing, mulch ,top soil. I was leaning towards R3 as to not tear up lawn areas. Plan to use chains in the winter.

I do mostly mowing or snow removal with the R3's. I have not found a need for chains for snow removal, but have figured that someday I will need them. 4 wheel drive makes a world of difference. I considered the R4's, but went the safe route with the R3's and have not regretted it. I think that if I was doing plowing, that might be where I would need chains (or R4's). You really need R1's for plowing, but that is not a satisfactory solution for the great majority of our usage for these small tractors.

Dave

·
Registered
374 Posts
Rrrrrrrrr,,,, somethings.

I have the R4's but I'm considering getting R3's. It's been a soggy spring here in NW Ohio and I'm damaging the lawn with every turn of the wheel. It's to the point that that I've reverted to letting the wife mow with the old Simplicity 42" mower again. I'll save the 1025 for mowing our small pasture fields as needed.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Either tire would be fine for the OP. I have the r4's. their ok at most things, a good all around tire. Turfs would be better on the lawn, R1's would be better in mud & dirt.

My lawn is very wet right now, just shy of having standing water on it. My 1026 is not breaking though the sod, but is leaving clear tread prints all over the lawn.

·
Registered
489 Posts

yukonb,

I have loaded R3 tires. I suspect they provide better ground contact than the R4s - at least it looks like they do. I can plow with my rear blade and move snow piles with my loader without adding chains. Much of my yard is sloped and I cut the grass, thatch and aerate (4WD when going uphill) without tearing up the grass.

I was pulling a couple of 1" vines out of a 50' tall tree last week and the vine was almost to the top of the tree. The 1026 pulled it all down without tire slippage.

If you want the toughest looking tires, the R4s win. If you want the best overall performing tires, the R3s win. I think the R3s might offer a softer ride too.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Another vote for R4s. Low psi and full of rimguard makes for a very capable tractor.
I've pulled hundreds of trees and saplings over the last year, some as large as 6" trunk.

Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts