Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tires are you guys running? I'm running BFG all Terrain t/a 265/75/R16 on all 4 corners, and I hate them with a passion. running at recommended Pressures, They have about 30k and the rears aren't even legal. Fronts are better but not by much. They are noisy, and support is non-existent. But to their credit, they handle nice and had decent traction.

What do you guys use? I need an all-terrain tire, and something I can tow with. E load range is a must. 16" rims.

Thoughts?

·
Administrator
20,352 Posts
BFG all-terrains just simply melt away on a heavy truck.

If your truck is mainly on the street, like most are, go with as much rubber that will fit in the tires footprint. In other words the bigger the gap in between the lugs of the tire the less rubber is on the road. More rubber on the road equals more longevity. Less rubber means bigger gaps which is better off road.

Most trucks running crazy looking tires are virtually never off the road, but they sure look cool, don’t they?

Any way, this is just general statements and observations, not 100% accurate for all situations and conditions.

I can tell you this, my truck is a heavy work truck, but won’t see much real off road, so a good heavy duty all season makes the most sense for me. If it were a Jeep and I was wheeling it, it have awesomely large, loud, and cool looking off road tires.

So what are you doing with your truck? Daily driver/grocery getter? Hauling big heavy trailers and never see dirt? Long haul? Takes hay out to the cattle on the back 40?

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mostly on road, going around to places I need to go. Towing? The most I pull is the tractor, so around 7000? pounds or so (Including trailer). I don't off road much, but i do have to go off the beaten path across a pasture once in a while, including wet ones. Snow traction is a concern, and I do get into muddy spots once in a great while. But mostly just on pavement and gravel roads.

Thats the other thing- gravel+bfg all terrain= ripped and notched treads. In other words, these tires hate gravel. Even just riding along normally and not spinning the tires kills the treads.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have Michelin LTX-AT on my '17 Sierra 2500 and I'm pleased with them. My driving is similar to yours, they currently have 36k miles of wear and I project they'll be replaced next fall at somewhere between 45-50k. I rotate them every 5k and only in the last 6k miles have I noticed traction begin to fall of in wet weather.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I run Toyo open Country ATII, I do a mix of everything, tow, highway, farm work and some but little off-road.
I really like them guessing a 45k tire and they both, look good, but also have some road noise.

·
Registered
21,449 Posts
The Cooper AT/3 seems to be a popular choice - a few guys here who have ranches in the west have made positive comments avout them. While I haven’t had this exact model I have become a Cooper tire fan over the years.

They make a few different models in their AT line -

Cooper Discoverer A/T3 | Cooper Tire

Oh - and made in the USA!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have F150 FX4 that I do a lot of towing with and its my daily driver. It has a level kit and 34inch tires. Nothing crazy but gets my to a tire size that looks more appealing. The Original tires were Pirelli's and I hated them. They handled horrible on anything but perfectly dry paved roads.

I Quickly changed them to Goodyear Wranger Duratracs and they are great tires. Handled amazing in snow and mud/dirt. They are a decent road tire that handled well in all conditions. They were a little loud on the highway but it was manageable. I got 65K out of those tires but at the end of their life they got to be pretty loud.

I now have Nitto Terra Grapplers G2's and that are pretty quiet on the road, and seem to handle well. They handle my trailer weight decent but are clearly not as good in the snow or dirt as the Wranglers. They do well but my perception is different now after having the wranglers. I think I get a little better mileage with the Nittos.

I have found that there is no perfect tire. They all have their place depending on what you need. I have never had BFG's simply because people say how fast they wear out.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
As soon as I got the new 2017 Ram 2500 I swapped out the stock tires for Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Around 14K miles on them now and I have to say I love them. They are very quiet on the highway - probably quieter than the stock tires - and they have been wearing very well.

Rob

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I second the Firestone Destination AT's. My dad runs them on his 3500 RAM as does my old neighbor on his F350 with a 7.3L diesel. Both of those trucks are load range E tires if memory serves me. Also, my brother just had a set put on his 1500 Silverado, loves them so far.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
My 2018 came with these tires,, they ride surprisingly nice,,, :dunno:

When I was signing for the truck,, I thought that within a month, I would be getting smoother tires,,
but, I ended up enjoying them this year,,, :good2:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
CADplans, those are Goodyear Duratracs. I have those on my 1500 Silverado. A little noisy above 55mph but GREAT in the sand/mud. I bought them because I don't drive the truck except for 1000 miles a year and I use it for field/woods work, she ain't no road queen.

·
Registered
11,379 Posts
I second the Firestone Destination AT's. My dad runs them on his 3500 RAM as does my old neighbor on his F350 with a 7.3L diesel. Both of those trucks are load range E tires if memory serves me. Also, my brother just had a set put on his 1500 Silverado, loves them so far.

What JDSwan87 said. I have them on my Silverado, but not 10 ply.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I am currently running a set of Duratrac's on my Tacoma which replaced a set of Hankook dynapro ATM RF10s which I was able to squeeze 95k miles out of. Quite on the road, decent in the snow given the Tacoma is so light in the rear and I will not carry extra weight in the bed with a 4x4 truck.

This will be my first winter with the Duratracs since they were put on in the spring. Road handling is fine, a bit loud but they are heavy compared to the Hankooks. I wanted to try out the tire and this could be the last set for this truck so why not...

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
Michelin 275/70/R18 LTX Defenders on my 1/2 ton '14 Silverado double cab. They are load range E too!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I am currently running a set of Duratrac's on my Tacoma which replaced a set of Hankook dynapro ATM RF10s which I was able to squeeze 95k miles out of. Quite on the road, decent in the snow given the Tacoma is so light in the rear and I will not carry extra weight in the bed with a 4x4 truck.

This will be my first winter with the Duratracs since they were put on in the spring. Road handling is fine, a bit loud but they are heavy compared to the Hankooks. I wanted to try out the tire and this could be the last set for this truck so why not...
^^ Agree with these options.

I had that Hankook ATMs (285/75R16) on my 01 F250 with the 7.3L diesel. I got 49k on them, only rotating every 10k, and 80% of the driving was either towing my 14k toyhauler or hunting, so a lot of gravel and off road. They probably had another 5k or so, but it was hunting season and I wanted new tires, as I sometimes make poor decisions on "road" selection when in the field. :laugh:
Only got stuck once due to traction. Sticky mud is a struggle for them, but great in the snow/ice, dry pavement, handle gravel well.
Also had them on my wife's explorer, and she got 58k out of them.

I went to Duratracs, as I wanted something more aggressive for the muddy trails hunting. Also in the 285/75R16, next week they will be replaced with the same tire. I'll have about 44k on them. I did rotate more often, about every 6k average. They cost a little more and wear a little faster, but are a better tire in every category except dry pavement and tire noise.
Only times I got stuck was due to running out of ground clearance. They just dig until there is nothing left for them to grab!
Traction did fall off, for the driving I do hunting, I should have changed them at about 40k. If it was spring, I'd run them through the summer easily, as I'm sure I'd get over 50k on them.
I did lose about 1 mpg going to the duratracs from the ATMs.

My plan now, duratracs for OCT-APRIL, then a second set of wheels with ATMs for summer towing the camper.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts

I should also note my old neighbor gets 70k miles out of the Firestone Destination AT's. My dad got about 90k miles out of them hauling travel trailer across the country, so 95% highway miles. Both rotate every 10k miles.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
When I was doing courier work for Deere I was driving between 100 to 120 thousand miles a year and every November I would put on a set of Michelin LTX. They were 10 ply and I got great wear out of them. I don't miss the miles but I do miss the money.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Im not a tire professional but with the research and experience I have, I probably know more than a lot of them. I wanted an AT type tire that would also hold up on the road. I am a beekeeper and I have to take the van offroad a lot. I settled on a set of the Kumho Roadventure AT51. They are aggressive, wear like iron, ride great for a 10 ply tire, and look good. They also didnt break the bank. I also just picked up an older Ranger 4 x4 to take the place of the van off road. I wanted the best off road tires I could get. Wasnt too worried about on road use. I did my homework and ended up with Mastercraft Courser MXT. I know...not a top name BUT made by Cooper in the USA, affordable, mean in the snow and mud! On the road they make a little noise but I dont care. They actually ride decent. If I still had a plow truck thats what Id have on it. Those are both top notch 4 x4 tires and you arent paying extra for the name. I always hated those BFGs but had 2 prs of the AT3s. They were good til they wore down. They did last a long time.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I have a 4x4 dually and have done a lot of towing but I need off road traction as well, so any tire I have put on there wears pretty fast due to the weight of the truck and the inability to rotate the tires. With that said, I have had Michelin LTX traction tires, great but expensive, Good year, great but expensive and really wore fast, now I am using Cooper ST Maxx. I like them the best but the fronts are wearing and starting to make some noise. I think the best miles I got out of a set tires on the dually was the OEM tires which were made by general. I replaced them around 37k. My experience with any of the AT tires and towing is they can be squirrely until they break in. I tend to tow more than 10k so I am sure that makes a huge difference. If you are just hauling your tractor around on open deck trailer that's less than 20 feet and 7k maybe not such a big deal.

I have used Cooper a lot in the past and really like that brand of tire. I use the Cooper ATP's on my 4x4 suburban with good success. I have been eyeballing the Mastercraft tires for my son's 4x4 but still weighing the cost vs use since it has 20 inch rims on it. 20 inch tires are way more expensive than 16 or 17 inch tires in case you are thinking of up sizing the rims/tires. :bigbeer:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts