Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone have any experience with this ballast box from Titan? I know they sometimes get a bad rap for poor quality but I bought pallet forks from them for my 2320 and haven't had any problem at all. Seems like with a coat of JD green or two this could be a good buy for $220 seeing that the JD one is closer to $400. I have a HF quick hitch with the top adaptor so I think it should work. Right now I have a homemade cement block that is about 800lbs but it's not made quite right and it shifts around in the QH. Any thoughts?

Titan Attachments Category 1 Ballast Box 800 lb. Capacity 3 Point Cat 1 Tractor

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with this ballast box from Titan? I know they sometimes get a bad rap for poor quality but I bought pallet forks from them for my 2320 and haven't had any problem at all. Seems like with a coat of JD green or two this could be a good buy for $220 seeing that the JD one is closer to $400. Any thought?

I do see some advantages, such as the hitch receiver. However, it is obviously not made nearly as heavy duty. Look at the lower 3pt arm attachments. Those would break off very easy. I see it is rated for "up to 800Lbs concrete". I filled my JD box with concrete this past summer and it weighs 1042 lbs and I plan to also hang about 300 lbs of weights off of it. Note on the pic below of a JD box how much better the lower 3pt pins are reinforced. If you max out the weight and the first time your tractor hits a bump on only one rear wheel, causing the box to swing sideways, those lower pins are going to break right off. I bought the Titan Skid Steer to 3pt attachment for my loader and it gets me by, but it is very cheaply made.

Dave

5022.JPG

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with this ballast box from Titan? I know they sometimes get a bad rap for poor quality but I bought pallet forks from them for my 2320 and haven't had any problem at all. Seems like with a coat of JD green or two this could be a good buy for $220 seeing that the JD one is closer to $400. I have a HF quick hitch with the top adaptor so I think it should work. Right now I have a homemade cement block that is about 800lbs but it's not made quite right and it shifts around in the QH. Any thoughts?

For the money, it's easier to overlook some things such as the pins for connecting to 3 point. I'd say the big difference comes down to how you use your tractor. Do you need a ballast box for occasional use around the yard or would this stay on the tractor more often than not. If you work your tractor fairly hard at times then 800lbs beating and banging around back there might cause failure sooner than later. However, it wouldn't take much work with a welder to beef it up when/if it falls apart and you still have saved a chunk of change

·
Registered
610 Posts
They don't show the dimension between the lower arms and the top link, but the width looks right for a quick hitch. Worst case, you'd have to modify the top pin position or move your hook to use it with an iMatch. The Deere design keeps the weight closer, but the Titan has some nice features, too. Like a previous person said, it's a good base for some fine tuning at that price point.

·
Super Moderator
8,130 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,743 Posts
I bought the 42" Titan forks and I am happy with them. When I ordered my 1025R last July the ballast box was 269$$ I got it haven't used it yet but I do like the quality of the Deere.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Maybe it's a moot point with a larger tractor, but the ballast box on my tractor contacts the ground when bucking snow or dirt up onto a pile. I've also had issues with grounding it while excavating a hole. I wish that I'd have spent my money on a rear weight bracket like a Heavy Hitch and satchel weights.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I just posted some updated pics of the box, in the thread linked by SGS in post #6 above, in case someone finds it useful.

·
Administrator
18,274 Posts
How are you supposed to take it off without sitting it on wood blocks or something else? Those lower pins are sooo low-I am pretty sure the average 3PH will not lower that far.

Reactions: JD-4100

·
Registered
610 Posts
How are you supposed to take it off without sitting it on wood blocks or something else? Those lower pins are sooo low-I am pretty sure the average 3PH will not lower that far.
When you weld them back on at the right height to work, you fix that problem. :mocking:

They are so close to actually building something that works, it's pretty funny. The features they've added looks like an "engineer" took five minutes looking at a google image search and got some good ideas. Too bad they didn't take another five to talk to anyone who owned a tractor, or look up the ASAE quick hitch dimensions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts