Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ordered a Titan ballast box, and it arrived last Saturday. Certainly it will do what a ballast box is supposed to do, but based on website pics and info, I think the quality of the box is not what is should be. Top link bracket welded on crooked; sliding door tracks and box bent outward at the bottom; e.g. toward the outside of the box, so that didn't happen in shipping. Door would not close the last inch, and then it took a rubber mallet to get it back up. Powder-coat finish is very thin to completely missing in many areas, bother on the outside, and inside.

Emails to Titan have gone unanswered this whole week. So if you decide to buy one, don't expect too much. It still will serve the purpose, and the price, delivered, was certainly attractive. The order was processed quickly, as was delivery time of 3 days.

Titan; I know they must be selling quick, but have your shop guys pay a little more attention to detail.

·
Premium Member
9,639 Posts
That was my thought too, but wasn't sure.

I'd tell them to take it back and send you one that's made right.
He would be better off to just tell them to take it back.

·
Registered
12,452 Posts
JD-4100--now u know why the price was so much cheaper, than others. I looked around and decided to have mine built by my old neighbor, who has been welding all his life, probably a little more than jd's one, but I know who did it, and watched while he was doing it too. hey-u took a chance, now ur just have to patch it up urself, cause I doubt ur e-mail will ever be returned. I hope so-but doubt it.

Reactions: TJR345

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
You get what you pay for. Lol

Reactions: Doug and TJR345

·
Registered
523 Posts
I purchased the Titan pallet forks and a Harbor Freight quick hitch. They work OK but are heavy, low quality, difficult to change positions, and spotty on the paint job. But I expected that knowing what I paid for. We have to be willing to pay for quality if that is a requirement in our purchase. It wasn't in these particular cases. My other purchases before and since have not been to the low price, but best quality and suitability to my application. Getting what we pay for is the new American Way. I try to buy US-Made products when ever I can, and I'll complain all day if they are not 100% up to snuff. My Chinese purchases are assumed to be inferior and have always been so, and I have relinquished the right to complain when that decision is made.

Only my opinion on my purchases.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Send it back and get a John Deere ballast box or make your own.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Hopefully the same person that welded the ballast box in the picture on their website, didn't weld the boat they're coming over on or it may sink!:hide:
My kid's learning Chinese as his second language and a friend just came back from a trip over there (sight seeing). With their shoddy building practices, I really question the safety of just being in that country. Bridges aren't all that safe. Buildings aren't either.

This article is 4 years old: Look At All The Major Chinese Bridges That Have Collapsed In The Recent Years - Business Insider

As tragic as this is; it takes talent to have a building just fall over.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do have the option to send it back, and have seriously considered doing that, but I am going to correct the defects, make a few mods, paint it, and use it. For the $229 delivered, I doubt I could build and finish one for much less. And I need it now. They did provide the hitch pins, and the thickness of the steel they used is appropriate. Most of the welds aren't bad, and I weld, so I can fix this thing.

So, with some cutting, grinding, welding, and painting, and it will be ok. I already have repaired the sliding door tracks, and although the top link lug is on crooked, there is enough play in the top link, to hitch it, even without much straightening.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
315 Posts
My kid's learning Chinese as his second language and a friend just came back from a trip over there (sight seeing). With their shoddy building practices, I really question the safety of just being in that country. Bridges aren't all that safe. Buildings aren't either.

This article is 4 years old: Look At All The Major Chinese Bridges That Have Collapsed In The Recent Years - Business Insider

As tragic as this is; it takes talent to have a building just fall over.

Straw in concrete is not exactly like Rebar in concrete.......:unknown:

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
I do have the option to send it back, and have seriously considered doing that, but I am going to correct the defects, make a few mods, paint it, and use it.
I assume you've contacted Titan already, but I know several people that have received partial refunds from them after receiving products that had problems. You might push them a bit and get something for your time and materials used to repair the box. :flag_of_truce:

·
Premium Member
9,639 Posts
I do have the option to send it back, and have seriously considered doing that, but I am going to correct the defects, make a few mods, paint it, and use it. For the $229 delivered, I doubt I could build and finish one for much less. And I need it now. They did provide the hitch pins, and the thickness of the steel they used is appropriate. Most of the welds aren't bad, and I weld, so I can fix this thing.

So, with some cutting, grinding, welding, and painting, and it will be ok. I already have repaired the sliding door tracks, and although the top link lug is on crooked, there is enough play in the top link, to hitch it, even without much straightening.
Sorry about your problems with the ballast box JD-4100.

At least you can weld and fix it. I would agree with 56FordGuy, and hopefully you can get some of your money back from them for your troubles.

If you are considering an iMatch Quick Hitch, you might want to think about fixing the top link.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I assume you've contacted Titan already, but I know several people that have received partial refunds from them after receiving products that had problems. You might push them a bit and get something for your time and materials used to repair the box. :flag_of_truce:
Well I had hoped to be able to tell them about this, but they do not respond to emails, and they do not answer their phone. It just rings about 8 times, then disconnects. So they seem to have isolated themselves. :unknown:

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
JD-4100,
Sorry for all the BS you are going through with this, but I am taking it as useful information out of all this. I am making a mental note not to order from them. If they cannot answer an email or pick up the phone, let alone try to get any type of refund, then they really don't deserve to be in business.

Thanks for making us all aware of these problems.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts