Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally ordered a Titan Ballast box as I was tired of putting the box blade on for ballast and needed some more to work safely with the artillian forks. Had a slight scare pulling some pallets out of the back of the truck and realized it is time!

It was delivered today and was all happy to get it unboxed and filled and realized it was broken at the top link! So now I get to figure out return/exchange with Titan and Amazon tomorrow which should be fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,428 Posts
Wow... hard to imagine that type of break from rough handling... I mean, the paint isn't even scratched up.

I'll just throw this out there... if you can weld or know someone who can, that is easy to fix. It's going to cost Titan to take it back and ship you another one. It might be worth asking if you could get it for half price or less. I once ordered a new gas tank for a 9N and it came with a big dent in it. Rather than exchange it they told me I could just keep it for $50 and they would refund the rest of my money - - done!

·
Registered
187 Posts
damage

Finally ordered a Titan Ballast box as I was tired of putting the box blade on for ballast and needed some more to work safely with the artillian forks. Had a slight scare pulling some pallets out of the back of the truck and realized it is time!

It was delivered today and was all happy to get it unboxed and filled and realized it was broken at the top link! So now I get to figure out return/exchange with Titan and Amazon tomorrow which should be fun!

just wondering was fedex the carrier

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow... hard to imagine that type of break from rough handling... I mean, the paint isn't even scratched up.

I'll just throw this out there... if you can weld or know someone who can, that is easy to fix. It's going to cost Titan to take it back and ship you another one. It might be worth asking if you could get it for half price or less. I once ordered a new gas tank for a 9N and it came with a big dent in it. Rather than exchange it they told me I could just keep it for $50 and they would refund the rest of my money - - done!
Yeah I was there and watched Fedex take it out of the truck and use a hand cart to bring it to my garage. But I’m sure there must have been some rough handling before to break it like that.

I have always wanted to learn to weld! But not on a new piece of equipment I just bought... We will see what Titan offers. Maybe this will be what I need to get the finance committee to approve a welder!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just wondering was fedex the carrier
Yes Fedex was the carrier and I was there when they took it off the truck all nice but not before when they probably threw it around!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
From the pic it looks like you have a weak piece of steel. Over the many years of construction I have seen steel do that before. Waiting to see what you find out? Good luck! :munch:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Not that it couldn't be welded up just fine, but the last thing I'd want to think about is if the repaired 700 pound ballast box on the back of my tractor is gonna fall off :lol:

I'd just politely tell them to send me a new one and have them provide a call tag for FedEx to come pick up the damaged one from you. It's their problem, not yours. Good luck, Titan can be a nightmare to get a hold of. However, they are just fine other times.

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
How the heck could FedEx even handle it rough enough to cause this break? The force's exerted at this point just being a ballast box is high. Has to be a problem with the steel itself.

·
Registered
12,017 Posts
How the heck could FedEx even handle it rough enough to cause this break? The force's exerted at this point just being a ballast box is high. Has to be a problem with the steel itself.
:unknown:yeah-i packed and unloaded ltl freight for 8 yrs, and to have the steel tear like that-jeepers-a tow motor would of had to catch it-while lifting it or something like that. and the box was empty due to being shipped. so i think that is out.

me thinks the fella packing it must of been dozing while covering it.:sleep:or this maybe:cell:

was there a hole in the cardboard there??? if not-then ur problem is with Titan!! good luck:munch:

·
Administrator
17,570 Posts
From the pic it looks like you have a weak piece of steel. Over the many years of construction I have seen steel do that before. Waiting to see what you find out? Good luck! :munch:
I agree...
It looks like this piece is bent in a press before welding it on, I'd guess it was stress-cracked from the start. I'd sure design that differently, the weight of the box IMHO should not be hanging from those two bends.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The box wasn’t even big enough to cover the attachment points, they were sticking out and just wrapped in cardboard and tape. So they were just asking to be caught on something even if it wasn’t a stress or bad steel. I was surprised that was how it was packaged.

But the more I look at it I agree with KennyD it was a stress crack and a bad design. I am now thinking of just returning it and getting a JD one. If that pin wasn’t in there it would be torn completely off.

·
Premium Member
4,216 Posts
[/B]:unknown:yeah-i packed and unloaded ltl freight for 8 yrs, and to have the steel tear like that-jeepers-a tow motor would of had to catch it-while lifting it or something like that. and the box was empty due to being shipped. so i think that is out.

me thinks the fella packing it must of been dozing while covering it.:sleep:or this maybe:cell:

was there a hole in the cardboard there??? if not-then ur problem is with Titan!! good luck:munch:
I don't know Jim, you may be right with the fork lift thing, just look at all the dings, dents and marks in the paint, thats not just a factory defect that's abuse by something... Possibly storing more than one on top of another and stacking issues. :dunno:

·
Registered
3,919 Posts

My guess is that (once you get ahold of them) Titan is going to offer you somewhere between $25 - $100 to "have it repaired locally" (<-- a phrase that they apparently put in their emails). Based on many other Titan threads that I've seen, that seems to be their modus operandi. But....

Not that it couldn't be welded up just fine, but the last thing I'd want to think about is if the repaired 700 pound ballast box on the back of my tractor is gonna fall off :lol:

I'd just politely tell them to send me a new one and have them provide a call tag for FedEx to come pick up the damaged one from you. It's their problem, not yours. Good luck, Titan can be a nightmare to get a hold of. However, they are just fine other times.
... I have to agree with goodworkstractors on this. You shouldn't have to go through all sorts of hoops to "have it repaired locally" when you haven't even mounted it on your tractor yet. Titan SHOULD offer to send you a new one. My guess is that you'll have to fight them for that option.

Keep in mind that your time is worth something. Let's say you make $50k/yr on your regular job. That puts your time at roughly $25 per hour. So, if you opt to "have it repaired locally", it's going to take you at least 2 or 3 hours to talk to your buddies to see if any of them know a local welder/fabricator and then talk to him about repairing it. You'll have to cart it over there, probably leave it there until it's ready, then back over to pick it up. So, if the guy charges you $50 to fix it, you still have 4 or 5 hours taking care of this (not to mention your time and frustration with Titan), so at least $150. And even then, it's "repaired" - not "new". You paid for "new"!!

I bought stuff from Titan in the past and had issues with it. They will fight you tooth and nail about taking them back. They will ignore your emails and your voice mails. (I actually had to "trap" them using the sales chat feature on their website) They will place the blame on FedEx and tell you to file a claim with them. You may have to get your credit card company involved. Keep pushing them to do the right thing - which is to exchange it. My advise would actually be to make them take it back and refund your money. Then buy a box locally - whether it's from your JD dealer, Tractor Supply, Rural King, or even - God forbid - an orange one from the local Kubota dealer or (gasp!!) a red one from the local Mahindra dealer!! :laugh:

Keep us posted. I truly hope you have an experience with them that proves me wrong!!

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
The box wasn’t even big enough to cover the attachment points, they were sticking out and just wrapped in cardboard and tape. So they were just asking to be caught on something even if it wasn’t a stress or bad steel. I was surprised that was how it was packaged.

But the more I look at it I agree with KennyD it was a stress crack and a bad design. I am now thinking of just returning it and getting a JD one. If that pin wasn’t in there it would be torn completely off.

Now that makes more sense. :good2:

·
Registered
589 Posts
Yeah, and I don't see any spot on that piece where it took a big blow. You'd think the paint would be chipped off.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Great. I received mine last week and haven't even taken it out of the beaten up box yet. :banghead: Hopefully mine is in one piece.
If it was shipped via fedex there is possibility at anything. I used to rarely have an issue with fedex however the past 6 months has been horrible with service. We order a lot of items for property remodels and it's gotten to the point we don't want to order anything. It's not that the companies we order from or fedex isn't taking care of the broken merchandise, they have been great actually at picking up the damaged items and shipping replacements. It's the time delays in having to deal with the shipping back and forth. The boxes arrive and look as if they was involved in a roll over accident while being transported. I'm not arguing the quality of Titan being good or not, I'm just saying the shipping has become horrible no matter who you order from.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts