Green Tractor Talk banner

Titan Ballast box received.. and going back..

11K views 63 replies 32 participants last post by  Dedge522 
#1 ·
Finally ordered a Titan Ballast box as I was tired of putting the box blade on for ballast and needed some more to work safely with the artillian forks. Had a slight scare pulling some pallets out of the back of the truck and realized it is time!

It was delivered today and was all happy to get it unboxed and filled and realized it was broken at the top link! So now I get to figure out return/exchange with Titan and Amazon tomorrow which should be fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#4 ·
Wow... hard to imagine that type of break from rough handling... I mean, the paint isn't even scratched up.

I'll just throw this out there... if you can weld or know someone who can, that is easy to fix. It's going to cost Titan to take it back and ship you another one. It might be worth asking if you could get it for half price or less. I once ordered a new gas tank for a 9N and it came with a big dent in it. Rather than exchange it they told me I could just keep it for $50 and they would refund the rest of my money - - done!

#6 ·
Yeah I was there and watched Fedex take it out of the truck and use a hand cart to bring it to my garage. But I’m sure there must have been some rough handling before to break it like that.

I have always wanted to learn to weld! But not on a new piece of equipment I just bought... We will see what Titan offers. Maybe this will be what I need to get the finance committee to approve a welder!

#5 ·
damage

just wondering was fedex the carrier

#12 ·
How the heck could FedEx even handle it rough enough to cause this break? The force's exerted at this point just being a ballast box is high. Has to be a problem with the steel itself.
I agree...
It looks like this piece is bent in a press before welding it on, I'd guess it was stress-cracked from the start. I'd sure design that differently, the weight of the box IMHO should not be hanging from those two bends.

#9 ·
Not that it couldn't be welded up just fine, but the last thing I'd want to think about is if the repaired 700 pound ballast box on the back of my tractor is gonna fall off :lol:

I'd just politely tell them to send me a new one and have them provide a call tag for FedEx to come pick up the damaged one from you. It's their problem, not yours. Good luck, Titan can be a nightmare to get a hold of. However, they are just fine other times.

#10 ·
How the heck could FedEx even handle it rough enough to cause this break? The force's exerted at this point just being a ballast box is high. Has to be a problem with the steel itself.

#11 ·
:unknown:yeah-i packed and unloaded ltl freight for 8 yrs, and to have the steel tear like that-jeepers-a tow motor would of had to catch it-while lifting it or something like that. and the box was empty due to being shipped. so i think that is out.

me thinks the fella packing it must of been dozing while covering it.:sleep:or this maybe:cell:

was there a hole in the cardboard there??? if not-then ur problem is with Titan!! good luck:munch:

#13 ·
The box wasn’t even big enough to cover the attachment points, they were sticking out and just wrapped in cardboard and tape. So they were just asking to be caught on something even if it wasn’t a stress or bad steel. I was surprised that was how it was packaged.

But the more I look at it I agree with KennyD it was a stress crack and a bad design. I am now thinking of just returning it and getting a JD one. If that pin wasn’t in there it would be torn completely off.

#16 ·
The box wasn’t even big enough to cover the attachment points, they were sticking out and just wrapped in cardboard and tape. So they were just asking to be caught on something even if it wasn’t a stress or bad steel. I was surprised that was how it was packaged.

But the more I look at it I agree with KennyD it was a stress crack and a bad design. I am now thinking of just returning it and getting a JD one. If that pin wasn’t in there it would be torn completely off.

Now that makes more sense. :good2:

#20 · (Edited)
If it was shipped via fedex there is possibility at anything. I used to rarely have an issue with fedex however the past 6 months has been horrible with service. We order a lot of items for property remodels and it's gotten to the point we don't want to order anything. It's not that the companies we order from or fedex isn't taking care of the broken merchandise, they have been great actually at picking up the damaged items and shipping replacements. It's the time delays in having to deal with the shipping back and forth. The boxes arrive and look as if they was involved in a roll over accident while being transported. I'm not arguing the quality of Titan being good or not, I'm just saying the shipping has become horrible no matter who you order from.

#22 ·
I hadn't thought about you ordering through Amazon, so maybe that will help. But, I did just check Amazon and none of the Titan products are "Amazon Prime". Hopefully Amazon will still help you out.

Reactions: ctrider and PJR832
#23 ·
Prime just means free 2-day delivery so it is understandable why a ballast box wouldn't be Prime shipping. Prime or no Prime Amazon should still stand behind the product. I've had excellent service from Amazon on the few defective items I have received.

#24 ·
There's more to it than that. Prime also gives you more liberal return policies - usually free return shipping, no questions asked. If it's not Prime, you may be subject to the return policies of the actual vendor. I think the ability to return may also depend on whether the order is "fulfilled by Amazon" or by the vendor.

Reactions: PJR832
#26 ·
I think it also depends on whether the product is defective or you just decided you didn't want it.

#25 ·
Amazon has always been great, Titan is what I worried about but This is what I found on titans website for return policy...this sounds pretty clear, they refund and pay for shipping.

If you receive a defective product or see a quality issue in the first month, Titan will refund the original purchase price, as well as providing return shipping:
Any quality issues with your item should be reported within 30 days of delivery.
Customers will be asked to provide photographs that provide a clear image of the quality issue in question.
Please be advised that defective products and photos providing proof must not be altered or modified in any way, respectively.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#27 ·
Well I just got off the phone with Titan, and it went better than expected!

They will return and refund the entire amount and pay for the return shipping. I had them schedule a pickup through FEDEX for me so I didn’t have to take it anywhere. No issues, no questions, no offers to repair or anything, just return and refund.

Looks like I will be going back to the JD dealer for a ballast box. I won’t trust that ballast box with 600lbs in it. Even though it could be fine, it is now in my head and I would rather a better quality.

#45 ·
Well I just got off the phone with Titan, and it went better than expected!
They will return and refund the entire amount and pay for the return shipping.
I had them schedule a pickup through FEDEX for me so I didn’t have to take it anywhere. No issues, no questions, no offers to repair or anything, just return and refund. Looks like I will be going back to the JD dealer for a ballast box. I won’t trust that ballast box with 600lbs in it. Even though it could be fine, it is now in my head and I would rather a better quality.
:bigthumb: Good to hear you were given good service in returning the damaged box.

#28 ·
Good to hear that they are going to take it back and its not going to cost you anything other than your time for going to get another one. It sucks though that you even have to deal with this. From the picture and what I see, it looks like what I like to call "pot" metal, not a piece of steel. I like to use that term when the metal looks like what a piece of OSB board looks like when you cut into it..... I would bet that the "steel" came from CHINA !!

#38 ·
Good to hear that they are going to take it back and its not going to cost you anything other than your time for going to get another one. It sucks though that you even have to deal with this. From the picture and what I see, it looks like what I like to call "pot" metal, not a piece of steel. I like to use that term when the metal looks like what a piece of OSB board looks like when you cut into it..... I would bet that the "steel" came from CHINA !!

I don't believe it is pot metal, just pre-cracked from the manufacturing process, and poor quality steel.

Most of the products Titan sell's are imported from China. This is how they sell cheap and offer "free" shipping.

#29 · (Edited)
Looks like the same shipping company who dropped mine off

Well,

I must confess that I'm ALSO not impressed with Titan's shipping department. Here's how mine arrived a few months ago.

Mark

Attachments

#30 ·
Well,

I must confess that I'm ALSO not impressed with Titan's shipping department. Here's how mine arrived a few months ago.

Mark
Yes, that was the same way mine arrived. I couldn’t believe they left those points out there like that.

#34 ·
I'm not trying to come off as being an a$$ by asking this, I'm just merely asking. How would you expect Titan or any shipper to package a large steel box to be shipped for the cost they are charging for the product and offering free shipping. A large box filled with packing styrofoam? I have ordered a few things from sources and not doubt agree my pallet forks from Titan could have been better packaged (they didn't even arrive with cardboard anywhere to be found) but in general any attachment I have purchased for a budget price arrived with bare minimum in mind.

I can't say I agree with the above statement! Maybe I missed the shipping disclaimer which stated "Free Shipping if you're OK receiving a damaged product". I don't care what company or product it is, take a little pride in your product. Last time I checked I didn't receive all my Amazon products damaged.

#35 ·
I didn't realize Amazon charged for the shipping, when ordering directly through Titan free shipping is something they offer.

#37 ·
I guess I'm glad to hear that they are taking care of you with this situation, I personally have never had any contact with Titan customer service but have heard few horror stories. Maybe they are trying to step up there game.

PS
I'm still happy with my pallet fork purchase from them

#42 ·
When I start hearing reports of ballast boxes falling off the ends of tractors and pallet fork frames
collapsing, I'll get worried. Until then I won't give it a thought.

:bigbeer:

#43 ·
Good viewpoint. While I agree that the broken mounting sucks it is almost assuredly from transport issues judging by the lack of oxidation I can see in the picture. Additionally the top link of a ballast box should see little and only occasional load. The load should be carried on the draft arms and the top link only has to prevent rotation and if adjusted properly won't see much.

#54 · (Edited)
Here is my Titan Ballest Box review from 5/17/2017. A similar issue during shipping.

....Unlike some reviewers on this site, the Titan Ballast Box arrived in the right color (Green), The cardboard box it was delivered in shows a red ballast box, but the green attachment points sticking through the box assured me it was the correct color. The Bad: The implement had been dropped in shipping and the top link was bent 2". Instead of returning it, I used a torch and bent it back to the correct position. The Good: The metal is thick and the welds are good for a lower cost box. The extra weight is very helpful when using the FEL.

#56 ·
Just reading through this thread and it just reinforces my choice to buy stuff like this locally when possible. I usually don't have the patience to "call the Internet" when there is a problem. That said, I'm glad to hear Titan made good on it with a refund.

All this has me wondering how the heavy-hitch tooth bar will come shipped...haven't ordered it quite yet, but its on the short list. Of course, one would think its very difficult to ruin a beefy hunk of steel.

And Chinesium? Ugh..... My 220R loader was made in Mexico and the frame masts were made in China. :gaah: But, I digress...

#57 ·
heavy-hitch tooth bar is shipping In Taped Card Board and then Inside of another Box If I remember right It was well packaged It was a Bit of a Pain to get it Un-packaged Greg does a Great Job Packing his equipment:flag_of_truce:

#61 ·
Yup, my artillian equipment all came packaged to survive even the laziest carriers!

With all this I am actually now thinking of going heavy hitch and buying weights... but man the price of shipping the weights is crazy! Trying to find some local but hard to come buy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.