Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Titan Ballast Box after reading some good reviews here about them. I'm pretty pleased with it so far, the only negative thing I've found is it has a problem with my Harbor Freight QH. I saw another review here that said it worked fine with I-match, so it's got to be due to the difference in the top hooks. When first looking at it I thought sure it would work fine, but on hook-up the hook starts under the top pin and bushings and due to the hook taper it rolls the pin forward enough that the body of the hook in the bottom curve hits the outside of the box and won't let the pin go all the way down into the hook. (Hope that makes sense). :flag_of_truce:

It will work with just the top pin, without the bushings on it, so I will probably just use it this way. Might get ambitious someday and redo the top bracket, if the top pin were just an inch further forward it would work fine with the bushings.

Anyway, here are some pictures.

Box had a few battle scars but everything inside looked fine.

20180121_134406.jpg

Hoisted it out of the box with one of Kenny's slings. They are great for a lot of things.

20180121_135529_HDR.jpg

I like the pipes in it for tool storage.

20180121_140237.jpg

Came with all of the pins except the ones I added for the QH.

20180122_143519.jpg

Pretty good color match except for the dust on it.

20180122_145500.jpg

Also like the built-in receiver hitch.

20180122_145757.jpg

This came FedEx and the driver said that he had to get someone to help him load it into his truck because it was so heavy. He had been dreading how he would get it unloaded if no one was home. He was very glad to see my 1025r with the forks, just pulled up to the back of his truck with the forks level with the floor, he just shoved it out onto the forks, and we both left happy. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
That seems to be a common problem with the HF quick hitch. I had the same problem with some other issues. It does appear that they changed the mounting of the hook. Mine was bolted on, I took all the bolts out and welded mine on. The bolts were preventing my attachments from going on. Then I had the same problem as you did. I solved the problem by using smaller pin on the top. If I ever get some time I will cut some of the hook out so to let my attachments fit proper. I do not use any of the IMatch collars on any of my attachments. How much was that box? I really like that, with tubes for tools, receiver hitch and a door to release your ballast. Thanks for posting.

·
Corndog Hater
11,778 Posts
Thanks for the write up and pics. I like that box. I have only been on their website a couple times and hadn't seen it. As for the HF QH, that's why mine is leaning against a wall in the barn and I switched to Pat's EZ change.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That seems to be a common problem with the HF quick hitch. I had the same problem with some other issues. It does appear that they changed the mounting of the hook. Mine was bolted on, I took all the bolts out and welded mine on. The bolts were preventing my attachments from going on. Then I had the same problem as you did. I solved the problem by using smaller pin on the top. If I ever get some time I will cut some of the hook out so to let my attachments fit proper. I do not use any of the IMatch collars on any of my attachments. How much was that box? I really like that, with tubes for tools, receiver hitch and a door to release your ballast. Thanks for posting.
Yeah the top hook is usually my problem with the HFQH. I had the problem early on with hitting the bolts so I bought the replacement hook that sets it out further. Solved that problem, but none of my attachments were quick-hitch compatible so I've had to modify them. I couldn't weld the hook in place 'cause every attachment needs the hook at a different height so I use pins in it instead of bolts to change the height quickly. Had to make up a chart to show what height each implement needs. :laugh:

I like this Titan ballast box, the green one must be popular because it's hard to find. Ebay and Amazon both list the box but every time I checked all they had was the red color. Here is the link for Titan that has the green.

Titan Green Ballast Box

I searched online and found a 5% off coupon that worked, found that here:

Coupons

The 4th item down on the page is the coupon code TITANFF5 and it worked for me so the box was $259 less 5% for final price of $246.05, with free shipping.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the write up and pics. I like that box. I have only been on their website a couple times and hadn't seen it. As for the HF QH, that's why mine is leaning against a wall in the barn and I switched to Pat's EZ change.
I'd probably be better off if I used Pat's, but I'm stubborn, I am determined to make this QH work. :crazy: :lol:

·
Corndog Hater
11,778 Posts
I am determined to make this QH work. :crazy: :lol:

So was I for 2 or 3 years. Eventually I was defeated.:lol::flag_of_truce:

Reactions: PJR832 and Robnik

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm glad you posted this. I've been debating between a buying a ballast box, building one myself, or some kind of weight rack hitch. I keep going back to this particular box. The price is low enough I'm not sure it's worth the time and materials to try to build one, especially since I'd have to borrow a welder to do it.

That lift gate intrigues the heck out of me. I'd rather do something like sand than concrete, but trying to figure out how to empty it or allow water to drain has had me convinced it wouldn't be a great option. That lift gate changes that quite a bit.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm glad you posted this. I've been debating between a buying a ballast box, building one myself, or some kind of weight rack hitch. I keep going back to this particular box. The price is low enough I'm not sure it's worth the time and materials to try to build one, especially since I'd have to borrow a welder to do it.

That lift gate intrigues the heck out of me. I'd rather do something like sand than concrete, but trying to figure out how to empty it or allow water to drain has had me convinced it wouldn't be a great option. That lift gate changes that quite a bit.
I've been thinking the same. You would probably have to put something for a liner in the bottom for sand as there are some drain holes in the bottom, and leaves a crack at the bottom of the lift gate. I've been wondering how many bags of sand I could get in it by leaving the sand in bags. Lowes has 50 pound bags of sand.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've been thinking the same. You would probably have to put something for a liner in the bottom for sand as there are some drain holes in the bottom, and leaves a crack at the bottom of the lift gate. I've been wondering how many bags of sand I could get in it by leaving the sand in bags. Lowes has 50 pound bags of sand.
I had that same thought about a liner. I was thinking some burlap or a woven feed sack of some kind would do the job. Heck, even an old sheet might do the job.

·
Premium Member
12,771 Posts
I got close to 700 lbs in mine by using the box extension and 7-3/4 in. x 2-1/4 in. x 3-3/4 in. concrete bricks from Home Depot. This left a bit of space at the top which I use for a toolbox that holds all my chains, straps and extra hitch parts (which contributes an extra 75 lbs)..

Ballast_ext2.jpg

E26R0224.jpg

·
Registered
185 Posts
I wanted to share the Titan Ballast Box I have too. I also have the HF quick hitch and that top hook is a real tight fit on the top pin of the box. In fact I have to remove the top pin and then connect my lower quick hitch hooks to the box, then install the top pin. Kinda defeats the purpose of the quick hitch as much on and off I have to do. I will be adjusting the top quick hitch hook by either shaving it or making a new one, but for now it works.

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
I can confirm that my Titan ballast box fits just fine without any issues with my JD iMatch Quik-hitch.

note: (in the pics I did not have the quik-hitch bushing installed, but I do now and it fits just fine.)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can confirm that my Titan ballast box fits just fine without any issues with my JD iMatch Quik-hitch.

note: (in the pics I did not have the quik-hitch bushing installed, but I do now and it fits just fine.)
Thanks for posting that, obviously the iMatch must be what they designed for and the QH hook is just thicker than the one on the iMatch.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thanks for posting that, obviously the iMatch must be what they designed for and the QH hook is just thicker than the one on the iMatch.
There are a number of posts throughout this forum where folks have issues with the different off-brand quick-hitches fitting different 3-pt attachments, and most of these difficulties seem to involve the top hook.

I have a couple of non-JD 3-point attachments and so far, they all have fit the iMatch without issue.

Reactions: ColonyPark

·
Registered
40 Posts
Before I pull the trigger on ordering one of these, wanted to see how your guys' are holding up.

I saw some posts from about a year ago where there seemed to be some quality issues, particularly with welds. I don't want to drop $250 on a box that has issues like that. However, I like the setup of the Titan with the pips and 2" hitch to make it more versatile.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Before I pull the trigger on ordering one of these, wanted to see how your guys' are holding up.

I saw some posts from about a year ago where there seemed to be some quality issues, particularly with welds. I don't want to drop $250 on a box that has issues like that. However, I like the setup of the Titan with the pips and 2" hitch to make it more versatile.

Thanks in advance!
My box is doing fine. I have used it in the woods for about 12 hours so far for balancing my loader work. I am bouncing around and working the tractor pretty hard. The box has done its job well. Its about as full of pea gravel as I could fill it, so I am guessing around 400lbs of weight in the box. I have no complaints so far. I think Titan makes a pretty good product.

As far as the quality I see no issues with my particular box. I think the welds, although not Mercedes quality are pretty good and penetrated enough that I do not think there will be any issues. The Paint was scratched slightly when I opened the box but I think that has to do more with UPS then Titan.

I would recommend it as it is one of the more affordable ways to have rear ballast.

·
Registered
275 Posts
No issues with my Titan box. Yeah the welds are a bit crude looking and I could always take a grinder to them to smooth them down a bit, but it's just a box. I like the 2" receiver and the handle tubes (with drain holes) that come with the Titan.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Landscape fabric would work well, I use it inside flower pots to allow drainage and to keep the dirt in.
Hi, how are you? I need your help! Seems like you know much more than me about landscape fabric! I need to buy some landscape fabric, I select an article from Google, but still, I don't know which one to buy, can you please recommend one that is long-lasting!

Thank you!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts