Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put together a quick and dirty, roll around stand for my forks and forks rack. I can pull the forks rack off with my loader arms, spin the stand around and mount the forks. To remove, I unmount the forks, spin it around and drop the rack back down on the stand with the loader arms. Roll the stand out of the way. Total cost? Maybe 25 bucks?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,222 Posts
Nice fabrication job. It certainly is a compact way to store them but like the previous poster, I'm not a fan of having to mount and dismount those heavy tines every time I need to use the forks. For me the less I have to manhandle those tines the better.

·
Premium Member
13,367 Posts
Nice job j. white, I like it :good2:

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
Nice job . . . I went this route to reduce the footprint of several pieces of equipment. (I have scaffolding for high work in the shop and house.) The forks go up there on the second level still in the pallet that the box blade sits on. The forks are easily removed and re-attached as necessary.

Implement Tower.jpg

·
Registered
514 Posts
Nice job . . . I went this route to reduce the footprint of several pieces of equipment. (I have scaffolding for high work in the shop and house.) The forks go up there on the second level still in the pallet that the box blade sits on. The forks are easily removed and re-attached as necessary.
I do like this idea but would question ballast when removing the BB from the 2nd level then having to remove said ballast to attach the BB. But I don't have my ballast on very often with the rear blower in the winter and mostly mowing duties in the summer.

·
Premium Member
12,222 Posts
I do like this idea but would question ballast when removing the BB from the 2nd level then having to remove said ballast to attach the BB. But I don't have my ballast on very often with the rear blower in the winter and mostly mowing duties in the summer.
I'm not sure what he is using for ballast but with a ballast box it wouldn't be an issue.

1. Assuming tractor is setup with loader and ballast box for normal operation
2. Swap out bucket, attach forks
3. Remove box blade from top shelf
4. Remove ballast box and attach box blade
5. Swap out forks, attach bucket as required

·
Premium Member
13,367 Posts
I'm not sure what he is using for ballast but with a ballast box it wouldn't be an issue.

I thought it was just me not understanding, thanks for clearing my mind. :lol:

·
Registered
514 Posts
I get the flow, just for me the extra steps would be a negative as my ballast box isn't on very often, but it would be on to remove anything from the shelves.

also, my BB is not QH compatible as it is ORANGE and was a cheap price 2nd hand.

I thought it was just me not understanding, thanks for clearing my mind. :lol:

·
Premium Member
13,367 Posts
I get the flow, just for me the extra steps would be a negative as my ballast box isn't on very often, but it would be on to remove anything from the shelves.

also, my BB is not QH compatible as it is ORANGE and was a cheap price 2nd hand.
I get it, just busting on you, my ballast box is on my iMATCH and it's still a PITA at time to put it on just move something quick, but I do it anyway.

·
Premium Member
12,222 Posts

Well that certainly would make a difference. My ballast box is just shy of 800 lb. and is on the quick hitch. It stays on the tractor 98% of the time. For those times when I need to use the rear blade, landscape rake, or drawbar I can remove/attach it without getting out of the seat. I can only imagine what it would be like wrestling into position without the quick hitch. Fortunately I already had the quick hitch prior to getting the loader and ballast box so I never had the pleasure.

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts

jgayman ~ You got it . . . remember the scaffolding is for storage, not daily use so much, you know, on/off, on/off.

I have my ballast box filled with crushed gravel, 350 - 400 pounds if I remember correctly, just right for the task. Oh, I also have rear wheel weights.

IMG_5178.jpg

Weights-5.jpg

Shop-2 330-18.JPG

Once you establish a process it goes very smoothly, 10 minutes or so.

·
Registered
514 Posts
jgayman ~ You got it . . . remember the scaffolding is for storage, not daily use so much, you know, on/off, on/off.

I have my ballast box filled with crushed gravel, 350 - 400 pounds if I remember correctly, just right for the task. Oh, I also have rear wheel weights.

View attachment 593394

View attachment 593418

View attachment 593410

Once you establish a process it goes very smoothly, 10 minutes or so.
All that room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
looks good. I don't care to pull the tines off every time I take the forks off myself.
I have to agree with this, wrestling those tines is a risk on the back for sure (I've ruptured the same lower disc twice in the last 15 years and that is no fun) but currently my goal was to keep them handy, inside and somewhat mobile. I hope to someday have the space to keep them assembled and on a shelf.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I think that would be great if I stored mine long term, but it seems I'm switching back and forth pretty often. I think OP is using the loader to do the lifting from his description, so it' shouldn't be too hard on your back. I used a wooden wire spool, I can switch back and forth between the forks and the loader easily. If I had concrete in my building, I'd put wheels on it. As it is, it's in a good spot, but If I need to move it I can lift it with the forks or just roll it.
CiTlIiI.jpg

·
Registered
514 Posts
I think that would be great if I stored mine long term, but it seems I'm switching back and forth pretty often. I think OP is using the loader to do the lifting from his description, so it' shouldn't be too hard on your back. I used a wooden wire spool, I can switch back and forth between the forks and the loader easily. If I had concrete in my building, I'd put wheels on it. As it is, it's in a good spot, but If I need to move it I can lift it with the forks or just roll it.
View attachment 593674
I like this idea. I have an extra spool and a concrete floor.

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
All that room.

Yep when I'm just storing the equipment it's very nice with "all that room" . . . But this winter I decided to park my Dodge truck in there and then a half ton of hay I didn't want to store in the barn just yet.

Then it's like this:

Moving Dodge-4.JPG

Remember when everyone tells you to 'build your shop twice the size you think you'll need' . . . it's great advise. I never planned to park the Dodge in the shop but having it in there this winter allowed me to work on it in dry and warm conditions.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have a 3 bay detached garage for my "shop" but like yourself, it fills up quickly depend on the season.
1 bay for the Deere and attachments
1 bay for the "crap", kids old toys, pool things, various things
1 bay I try to keep mostly open for oil changes on the truck and tractor and just to have room to work on whatever. It also has my work bench along the wall.

This spring I plan to clean up the kids side and rearrange it all to my liking, now that the ex-wife has moved out

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
I have a 3 bay detached garage for my "shop" but like yourself, it fills up quickly depend on the season.
1 bay for the Deere and attachments
1 bay for the "crap", kids old toys, pool things, various things
1 bay I try to keep mostly open for oil changes on the truck and tractor and just to have room to work on whatever. It also has my work bench along the wall.

This spring I plan to clean up the kids side and rearrange it all to my liking, now that the ex-wife has moved out
I have a four bay garage and like stated, I have no more room for anything (and Big Jim wants to sleep in there when he comes up to run my dozer for a few days!) , it does fill up fast, in fact one of my employees calls one of my bays the highway Barn with all the implements and tractors plus a 5 yard sand pile to keep the sand dry for driveway sanding.. I need another barn and I now have three! However the taxes I pay on these structures prohibits me from building another one! Time to get rid of some stuff I guess.. I have my forks, work platform, sander, quick JD hitch, snowblower etc. on doilies so I can wheel them out of the way if necessary when not in use.. I even have my backhoe bucket up 8 feet and supported so I can park my RTV in there for the extra room! It can be very crazy looking for needed space sometimes. I do have a nice 14x24 foot garage addition to one of my barns that has the 450E dozer inside and all my split firewood and leftover building supplies when I was in business so even that's full.. Don't even ask about the one shed we have, that's all my wifes gardening supplies and stuff... and that's a 12 x 20 building! The 16x24' pool house,, nope, all pool stuff and outdoor tables and umbrellas! The only other room I have is our pool house bathroom and that's mine so she needs to leave that alone!!!! I Need my space! :bigbeer:

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have a four bay garage and like stated, I have no more room for anything (and Big Jim wants to sleep in there when he comes up to run my dozer for a few days!) , it does fill up fast, in fact one of my employees calls one of my bays the highway Barn with all the implements and tractors plus a 5 yard sand pile to keep the sand dry for driveway sanding.. I need another barn and I now have three! However the taxes I pay on these structures prohibits me from building another one! Time to get rid of some stuff I guess.. I have my forks, work platform, sander, quick JD hitch, snowblower etc. on doilies so I can wheel them out of the way if necessary when not in use.. I even have my backhoe bucket up 8 feet and supported so I can park my RTV in there for the extra room! It can be very crazy looking for needed space sometimes. I do have a nice 14x24 foot garage addition to one of my barns that has the 450E dozer inside and all my split firewood and leftover building supplies when I was in business so even that's full.. Don't even ask about the one shed we have, that's all my wifes gardening supplies and stuff... and that's a 12 x 20 building! The 16x24' pool house,, nope, all pool stuff and outdoor tables and umbrellas! The only other room I have is our pool house bathroom and that's mine so she needs to leave that alone!!!! I Need my space! :bigbeer:
never enough "space".

1 - 20 of 28 Posts