Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone have any thoughts or experience with these two tires in the larger 5-6 series utility tractor tire sizes.

I have some experience with both in the smaller 1-2-3R series tractor's tire sizes.
All has been extremely positive, which is why I am looking to do the same on my 5115M.
I am virtually positive the R1 ag tires are going to be to aggressive/destructive for my purposes. Looking at the best compromise with one of these new hybrid radial tire designs.

Looking at swapping out the R1 Michelin Ag tires that came on my 5115M, for some of these new Hybrid ag/turf radial tires. Both Goodyear and Galaxy offer them that would suit my needs.
I am also planning to drop my rear wheel size from 34s to 30s.
I am keeping the lead lag ratios in mind. Also studied several factory combinations and comparing all the different front and rear diameter ratios in those optional combinations. To result in the below combo choices I a have come up with.
I am wanting a little shorter and little wider tire then stock, with more tire less rim on the rear which will be filled with liquid ballast.
Stock rear Tire Size is 420/85R34 = 62" x17" on 34" Rims
Stock front Tire Size is 13.6R24 = 47.6" x 13.6" on 24" Rims

In the R14T
I am looking rear tire size 460/85R30 = 60.5 x 19.1 on new 30" Rims.
I am looking at front tire size 340/85/24 = 46.8 x 14.2 on a existing 24" Rims.

In the Galaxy Garden pro3
I am looking at a rear tire size of 480/70/30 = 58.2 x 19 on new 30" Rims
I am looking at a front tire size of 380/70/24 = 45 x 15 on existing 24" Rims.

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
No experience with either but just looking the Goodyear is going to be better than a R1 for being easy on turf but yield more R1 like pulling in dirt. The galaxy looks very turf friendly and should still being decent at pulling. Depends on which side of the scale you want to be. Goodyears on back and galaxies on the front might give you the best of both. Not tearing things up turning yet having the more aggressive pulling on back. I would bet the good year on back would still leave bar marks sod.

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No experience with either but just looking the Goodyear is going to be better than a R1 for being easy on turf but yield more R1 like pulling in dirt. The galaxy looks very turf friendly and should still being decent at pulling. Depends on which side of the scale you want to be. Goodyears on back and galaxies on the front might give you the best of both. Not tearing things up turning yet having the more aggressive pulling on back. I would bet the good year on back would still leave bar marks sod.
Thanks .
That’s pretty much what I was thinking too , just based on the looks of the tread designs. That would make sense .

·
Premium Member
9,213 Posts
I concur, going from R1s to the Goodyear R14Ts is not much of a change other than footprint.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Have you looked at the Hakkapliea (spelling, I know..) tires? Saw some on the 5R tractors. Was impressed that they might work very well in wet, and snowy conditions as well as more turf friendly.

Reactions: cc1999

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you looked at the Hakkapliea (spelling, I know..) tires? Saw some on the 5R tractors. Was impressed that they might work very well in wet, and snowy conditions as well as more turf friendly.
Are these what your referring to?
Yea I think those would be good for turf.
Maybe a Problem in mud, meaning that tight tread may really pack up and not clean out very well.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Anyone have any thoughts or experience with these two tires in the larger 5-6 series utility tractor tire sizes.

I have some experience with both in the smaller 1-2-3R series tractor's tire sizes.
All has been extremely positive, which is why I am looking to do the same on my 5115M.
I am virtually positive the R1 ag tires are going to be to aggressive/destructive for my purposes. Looking at the best compromise with one of these new hybrid radial tire designs.

Looking at swapping out the R1 Michelin Ag tires that came on my 5115M, for some of these new Hybrid ag/turf radial tires. Both Goodyear and Galaxy offer them that would suit my needs.
I am also planning to drop my rear wheel size from 34s to 30s.
I am keeping the lead lag ratios in mind. Also studied several factory combinations and comparing all the different front and rear diameter ratios in those optional combinations. To result in the below combo choices I a have come up with.
I am wanting a little shorter and little wider tire then stock, with more tire less rim on the rear which will be filled with liquid ballast.
Stock rear Tire Size is 420/85R34 = 62" x17" on 34" Rims
Stock front Tire Size is 13.6R24 = 47.6" x 13.6" on 24" Rims
View attachment 779255
In the R14T
I am looking rear tire size 460/85R30 = 60.5 x 19.1 on new 30" Rims.
I am looking at front tire size 340/85/24 = 46.8 x 14.2 on a existing 24" Rims.

In the Galaxy Garden pro3
I am looking at a rear tire size of 480/70/30 = 58.2 x 19 on new 30" Rims
I am looking at a front tire size of 380/70/24 = 45 x 15 on existing 24" Rims.

View attachment 779245
just a FYI i might be intrested in the take off tires n wheels if you decide to let them go a little more ground clearance might help me in the hay field i have the 24s n 30s now

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well now I am leaning towards the galaxy option, since I traded my 4720 back to goodworks for another 5115M.
I had already bought a pair of galaxy 380/70/24s for back of the 4720. Since I traded it backwith R4s still on it, might as well use the rear galaxy tires for the front of the 5115M. Just amazes me that the front tires on a 5M are the same general size of the rear tires of a 4Series. Lol

·
Premium Member
9,213 Posts
Since you already have the fronts, that's the option I would pick.

·
Registered
427 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
I don’t travel a lot of dirt, here. Mostly sod, turf or hay fields. My R1’s are hard on the real estate so, I keep off those areas when it’s wet or soft.
We do have a lot of snow and ice, however. And clearance when plowing is a good thing!
Was +6F this morning. Gonna be a late hay season this year...

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Since you already have the fronts, that's the option I would pick.
Now seems the trick might be getting that 480-70R30 Galaxy radial turf size here in the US.
All the online option appear to be over seas. Several listing for them in the UK.

I have found this one , which shows that size and is the website I had used when studding these available sizes.
I have request a quote from them. As well as made a second request from a local AG tire store for quote for them.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just a FYI i might be intrested in the take off tires n wheels if you decide to let them go a little more ground clearance might help me in the hay field i have the 24s n 30s now
Thanks Tazz, I keep you in loop.

The local Ag Tire and wheel shop does take trade in tires if there good or in like new shape like these are in.
Not sure what they will offer me for them. I will keep you posted.
I am still trying to get a quote from them on the rear Galaxy tires.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Thanks Tazz, I keep you in loop.

The local Ag Tire and wheel shop does take trade in tires if there good or in like new shape like these are in.
Not sure what they will offer me for them. I will keep you posted.
I am still trying to get a quote from them on the rear Galaxy tires.
understand...i also dont know if there are any fittage issues etc for my older model etc....LOL then i would have to eventually find a home for my tires n wheels (circle of life) LOL ...seems like a lotta work for a couple of inches clearance and im cheap LOL 😂

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Well so far I am coming up empty handed on locating the rear Galaxy tires . Seems they may only offer that 480/70R30 size In Europe.

Looks like it‘s going to be the R14Ts provided those are available.
I called the website I posted a link to earlier when I never received the quote I requested. They said they could not find the galaxy garden pro at all in that size.
I did find it in that size but only showing on European websites.

I guess I am just going to go for a full set of R14Ts if I can get them.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Another Update: Seems Goodyear/Titan isn't going to start building these larger sizes till sometime in July with a September ETA, I would get them about the time mowing season is winding down.

Now my AG tire dealer is steering me towards these Nokian TRI 2s . Look good and they would be a little wider and a little less aggressive then the R14Ts.
If we can get these in a timely fashion then this probably what I am going to have to do to get one of my 5Ms setup as more turf friendly.

I do like the tread design just fine, they look like they would work well for what I am looking for.
These come in sizes that run a little wider then what I was looking at in the R14Ts.

480/80R30s

And fronts would be 360/80R24s

Here some pics of these tires mounted up on larger tractors.

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I found some better pics of the Nokian tires on a 5 series.
This on is an 5R and the rear tires are 34" so not quite what I am getting since I am dropping my rears to 30" rims.
Overall look should be very close to this tractor.
These are the winter version of the Nokian tire. Mine would be the TRI 2s which is pretty much the same tire without all the siping for ice and snow traction.

Reactions: Zebrafive

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Now my tire dealer is trying to convince me to go with, these waffle wheels, vs getting a set of wheels from DEERE.
He says these are better, in that they are stronger, and they are powder coated.
What do you guys think about these wheels?

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Have you checked Ag Wheel Express? Call them, they may have just what you are looking for. They buy factory take offs and resell to the general public.

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Have you checked Ag Wheel Express? Call them, they may have just what you are looking for. They buy factory take offs and resell to the general public.
Nice !
‘Thanks for the tip.
They have the rear 30x15 Deere take off rims, where a pair of them is less then 1 of the rear waffle wheels I was quoted today.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts