·
Premium Member
2,591 Posts
Maybe a place to hook a strap? :dunno:

Reactions: Robnik and JD4044M

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Possibly to reduce weight??? I like my Titan forks.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Possibly a cost saving measure but the answer is probably something extremely simple such as the only reason for the holes is an attempt to make the frame look cool and somewhat imitate other manufacturers frames.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Strategically placed or cut holes in steel shapes typically serve 3 purposes, aside from being functional as was suggested above with being a place to hook a strap or something. They’re usually aesthetic or to lighten the member, or are designed to actually stiffen it which is designed via a steel modeling and design software-bending and shaping steel with holes in it or then putting holes in it to stiffen the shape or make it easier to bend is pretty standard in industry.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Strategically placed or cut holes in steel shapes typically serve 3 purposes, aside from being functional as was suggested above with being a place to hook a strap or something. They’re usually aesthetic or to lighten the member, or are designed to actually stiffen it which is designed via a steel modeling and design software-bending and shaping steel with holes in it or then putting holes in it to stiffen the shape or make it easier to bend is pretty standard in industry.
But this is in regards to a Titan frame? Don't get me wrong, for the money I'm very pleased with what I received but it's Titan...... The holes are probably just to look cool. I don't think steel modeling and design software or any other "standard industry" is a factor in their pricing.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
But this is in regards to a Titan frame? Don't get me wrong, for the money I'm very pleased with what I received but it's Titan...... The holes are probably just to look cool. I don't think steel modeling and design software or any other "standard industry" is a factor in their pricing.
I didn start my explanation with “typically”, I was giving possibilities for why they could be there.

Understanding it is a Titan product however I do agree, they’re probably just for looks (aesthetic) just as I mentioned was a probability.

·
Administrator
18,514 Posts
Reactions: PJR832 and mark02tj

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Yeah, when they were designing it with their crayons they probably just decided it was too much work to color in all the spots so they left a few blank and this is what happened. :eyeroll:

Rob

Reactions: PJR832 and ky_shawn

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Yeah, when they were designing it with their crayons they probably just decided it was too much work to color in all the spots so they left a few blank and this is what happened. :eyeroll:

Rob
Hey that seems like a possibility, but regardless of how or why...... They work well enough for me. My frame does not have the cool cut outs, I may take a sharpie out later today and draw some squares on mine.

·
Premium Member
13,841 Posts
Hey that seems like a possibility, but regardless of how or why...... They work well enough for me. My frame does not have the cool cut outs, I may take a sharpie out later today and draw some squares on mine.
Haha, I'm on that, great idea :thumbup1gif:

Seriously though, I'm with you, for the money I've had no complaints and they work well for my needs. Plus the last time I looked Artillian still doesn't have a round bale spear option so they are out for me.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Haha, I'm on that, great idea :thumbup1gif:

Seriously though, I'm with you, for the money I've had no complaints and they work well for my needs. Plus the last time I looked Artillian still doesn't have a round bale spear option so they are out for me.
Exactly, for the money I have no complaints. I know I didn't purchase forks that is in the same league as others but I can say this about them. My forks/frame has not twisted or bent in any way yet and I have USED them. My tractor that came with a MSRP of well over 30 grand I can't say the same for however! My weak lift arms on my GREEN tractor has twisted into a pretzel TWICE. Once by honest to goodness BARELY pushing against a 4-6" tree stump and again by backing off the trailer, the corner of my box blade dug into a gravel driveway twisting the other one. I have over $500 invested in lift arm replacements because I have a supposedly high end tractor with WEAK crap on it.

·
Registered
12,641 Posts
Exactly, for the money I have no complaints. I know I didn't purchase forks that is in the same league as others but I can say this about them. My forks has not twisted or bent in any way yet and I have USED them. My tractor that came with a MSRP of well over 30 grand I can't say the same for however! My weak lift arms on my GREEN tractor has twisted into a pretzel TWICE. Once by honest to goodness BARELY pushing against a 4-6" tree stump and the other one by backing off the trailer and the corner of my box blade digging into a gravel driveway twisting the other one. I have over $500 invested in lift arm replacements because I have a supposedly high end tractor with WEAK crap on it.
jeepers-them arms must been made on a Friday-Monday holiday weekend-maybe then. all i can say is wowise!:munch:

i had a Ford pickup back a long time ago-i swear was produced on such a weekday.:munch:

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
jeepers-them arms must been made on a Friday-Monday holiday weekend-maybe then. all i can say is wowise!:munch:

i had a Ford pickup back a long time ago-i swear was produced on such a weekday.:munch:
I have read there was a time the arms built Monday through Friday was simply a poor part and JD resolved the issue with an updated lift arm. I just read that, I don't know if it's true. There was two different part numbers which leads me to believe it's true but it still cost me a bunch of money for parts that should have never been weak to begin with considering the brand of tractor and cost of the machine.

Reactions: PJR832 and BigJim55

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is the answer....

Nobody really knows

I called Titan about a billing issue and brought up the mysterious holes in the frame. The person I spoke with said they were "just part of the design". In other words they didn't know and offered that response to shut me up.

Do I think a dozen small rectangular holes added up to significant weight reduction and thus more carrying capacity? No
Do I think the Chinese company that made this attachment went out of it's way to make the design more stylish? No
Do I think these rectangular holes are the legacy of an extinct civilization and when lined perfectly with magnetic north, at noon, on the winter solstice reveal the true location of Atlantis? Yes! And what a bargain less than $500 shipped to your door.
Do I think these forks are sold somewhere else in the world and perhaps those holes have an actual purpose? Yes
Do I intend to use them as needed to accomplish the mission of the day? Yes

I shall rest comfortably this evening knowing that the mystery of the rectangular holes has been solved.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Here is the answer....

Nobody really knows

I called Titan about a billing issue and brought up the mysterious holes in the frame. The person I spoke with said they were "just part of the design". In other words they didn't know and offered that response to shut me up.

Do I think a dozen small rectangular holes added up to significant weight reduction and thus more carrying capacity? No
Do I think the Chinese company that made this attachment went out of it's way to make the design more stylish? No
Do I think these rectangular holes are the legacy of an extinct civilization and when lined perfectly with magnetic north, at noon, on the winter solstice reveal the true location of Atlantis? Yes! And what a bargain less than $500 shipped to your door.
Do I think these forks are sold somewhere else in the world and perhaps those holes have an actual purpose? Yes

I shall rest comfortably this evening knowing that the mystery of the rectangular holes has been solved.

Thanks
wow, what a load of sh*t.... This is an answer I can totally be content with regarding my Titan pallet forks.

·
Registered
12,641 Posts
Here is the answer....

Nobody really knows

Thanks
well-:munch:-ur answer made me do this:lolol:in a good way-oh. hey-if ur happy-then i'm happy:good2:

Reactions: ky_shawn and PJR832
1 - 20 of 40 Posts