Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the TKV-20 since June of 2019, and have been very pleased with it. So pleased, that last year I ordered their new deck boot as it was supposed to perform better. I ordered it in June of 2020, but I only installed it near the end of the mowing season, and mowed maybe one or two times with it. I didn't notice a significant performance increase, but I chalked it up to possibly needing to sharpen my blades and wrote it off.

Last weekend I setup the 2032R for mowing for the first time this year, attached the hose to the deck boot, and started off. 15 minutes in, the hose fell off of the deck boot, and was crushed by the rear wheel of the tractor, rendering it unusable. On further inspection, I swapped the hose end to the one that wasn't crushed, and examined how tight the fit was with the provided clamp. To my surprise, I was able to pull the hose off of the boot with little effort; it is not a tight fit, and most likely explains why I didn't see any better performance (and this year it was actually much worse) than the JD boot that I had originally. I couldn't tighten the clamp any more and still get it to close, so this wasn't an issue of not clamping enough; the supplied clamp cannot crush the supplied hose enough to transfer any of the clamp load to the Terra King-designed boot. My take on this is that Terra King have not made the boot outlet large enough, and the hose they have supplied is overly large for their boot outlet; it does, however, fit the intake on the TKV-20 just fine.

I called Terra King, which is redirected to Superior Tech, who have now been bought by Agri Fab. Speaking with the rep, he said that at one point, they were supplied with a hose that was out of spec, and was slightly large, and that could be my issue. But he was not willing to replace the hose, the best he could do is offer me 20% off and free shipping. He would also throw in the clamp for free, as the one that was in place was crushed as well. I use this to mow my two small fields, the grass is already 2' tall, and I can't mow until I have the replacement hose, so he had me over a barrel. I paid the $182.65 for the new hose.

I received the hose on Wednesday, and went out to compare it today. It is the same size as the hose I had previously, and therefore I did not have the incorrect hose. Unfortunately, this means that the Terra King boot is of poor design. I did bring this up with the rep, and he sited manufacturing tolerances. That is a poor excuse to me; if your manufacturing tolerances are such that you cannot supply a functional product, then you should reevaluate your method or process until you can correct it. You should not sell poor quality parts, and then charge your customers to replace damaged parts caused by your other poor quality parts.

Here is a video of the Terra King boot:
https://youtu.be/hIf4qqDSEm4

Here is a video of the JD boot:
https://youtu.be/fhGvN4y9PVM

Unfortunately, I'm now in need of one more clamp as when I was trying to tighten the clamp down on the Terra King boot to ensure it wasn't user error, my second clamp stripped out and is no longer adjustable. They did supply one new quick release clamp to me to replace the one that was crushed, and also supplied one worm drive hose clamp, which is now in place on the MCS side, but will be replaced ASAP as it eliminates the quick-disconnect ability to clear clogs.

The JD boot is now back in place on my mower deck, the Terra King boot is sitting in the barn. I am less than pleased to have spent $190 on a boot that doesn't function correctly, and an additional $182 on the replacement hose. None of the parts I used were supplied by anyone other than Terra King, and their system simply doesn't work with their boot. I think it is incredibly poor to expect your customer to have to build up the boot outlet with tape in order to get a good seal (as another member here has had to do), when this system is sold together as one working unit.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Wow. Doesn’t superior tech also make the jd boot?

·
Premium Member
10,327 Posts
Wow. Doesn’t superior tech also make the jd boot?
I don’t think they do because if I remember right that boot came in a John Deere parts box. When the had their own boot made they obviously undersized the outlet because I have the same problem. The hose I have fits the John Deere boot and the Terra king blower inlet with no problem. It is only loose on their new boot and the hose is way too tough to crush down on the boot. I wrapped a few wraps of gorilla tape around the outside of it after it fell off twice but luckily it went to the right instead of the tire side. I was a little disappointed when I bought the new boot and saw it was not correct because it is a little too expensive to not be perfect.

I really thought they would send you the hose because it is their issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.