Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been waiting for a material collection system since I bought my tractor. Tuesday I was able to order the TKV for mine. I really like the set up, no power flow to add, a big steel fan, everything in one item in one to hook up and the ability to run this independant of the deck. Should be hell on leaves and dried grass.

I say possibly any because it sure looks like the only thing required that would be custom would be the deck adapter.

Since it was just finished for both the 60” & 72” deck they have not updated their website with it on a Deere but I will post photos as soon as mine arrives.:good2:

For more information:

https://www.terraking.com/

https://www.superior-tech.com/material-collection-systems.html

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have the MCS 20 on my 1025r. This setup replaced my GT 235/Cyclone Rake setup which I liked very much. A few thoughts after owning one for 4-5 months.

The MCS 20 unit itself is awesome. It is very well thought out on function and very well made. Most of it is stainless steel. The push button dump works very well.

As for the powerflow head... This is without question my biggest frustration. My system is setup on a 1025r with a 54" mower deck and Oregon blades. My experience tells me, the powerflow head will not work with a 72" deck because it can't handle the volume of clippings coming out of it. If I go on vacation or get busy and miss a scheduled mow day, where the grass is a bit longer and thicker, the powerflow head clogs easily. It simply cannot handle the extra volume on a 54" deck, much less a 72" deck. I would imagine a 60" deck is pushing it to it's limit.

Overall, I am very happy with the setup. The fact that it connects to the quickhitch in seconds is very efficient. I set my unit up myself including the wiring harness that connects to factory plugs. I would buy it again if it was on a 54" or smaller deck. I would have to really think about it on a 60" or larger deck.

Just my opinion. TIFWIW

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
TKV 20 (MCS 20) for new 2032R & 2038R or possible any

It appears the TKV20 from TerraKing only fits a Kubota BX series according to their website. I have the 14 bushel three bag MCS and those bags get heavy after about 10 dumps. I like the Superior tech MCS20, but having one powered off the rear PTO would be the cats meow. Having the old hydraulic dump setup from years past (or available in Europe) and the blower powered off the rear PTO would be even better.

EDIT: emailed the company and asked if the TerraKing would fit a 1025r. Here’s the response I got.

The TKV 20 is definitely compatible with the John Deere 1025R w/ 60" mid mount mower. We also manufacture a similar 20-bu MCS system as a licensed product for John Deere that uses your existing Power Flow blower to fill the hopper

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
I have the MCS 20 on my 1025r. This setup replaced my GT 235/Cyclone Rake setup which I liked very much. A few thoughts after owning one for 4-5 months.

The MCS 20 unit itself is awesome. It is very well thought out on function and very well made. Most of it is stainless steel. The push button dump works very well.

As for the powerflow head... This is without question my biggest frustration. My system is setup on a 1025r with a 54" mower deck and Oregon blades. My experience tells me, the powerflow head will not work with a 72" deck because it can't handle the volume of clippings coming out of it. If I go on vacation or get busy and miss a scheduled mow day, where the grass is a bit longer and thicker, the power flow head clogs easily. It simply cannot handle the extra volume on a 54" deck, much less a 72" deck. I would imagine a 60" deck is pushing it to it's limit.

Overall, I am very happy with the setup. The fact that it connects to the quickhitch in seconds is very efficient. I set my unit up myself including the wiring harness that connects to factory plugs. I would buy it again if it was on a 54" or smaller deck. I would have to really think about it on a 60" or larger deck.

Just my opinion. TIFWIW
Does it plug the chute in front of the fan, from the deck back to the impellers? Does the plastic tube fill and plug and the fan can't draw the lawn material through it?

Looking at the design, I would wonder if the clogging point would be where the deck adapter attaches and the near 90 degree angle occurs to blow the clippings into the tube? Can you see the clogging occurring in that area, or is it somewhere else in the system?

Like most collection systems, I would assume this is also pretty temperamental with wet grass as well for clogging, correct? Not just rain wet but even dew on the grass.

Perhaps the impeller diameter along with the tube diameter were increased to accommodate the larger deck sizes, which would make sense. I do know the MC Cart system with the deck driven blower really is a leaf chopping and collection monster, just as I would imagine this would be.

·
Registered
168 Posts
It does also struggle a bit with wet grass. Depending on conditions, it can clog in front of the impeller and after it. The thickest part of my lawn, I have to slow down quite a bit or it will clog up.

I have a nice mature lawn that is pretty thick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Showed up this morning. Only had time to unload it and get to work. I will have more to report later.:good2:

I do not think there’s going to be a lot of plugging problems with an 8 inch hose and a 15” fan spinning at 3000rpm.:laugh:

Of course all I know right now is the packaging job was good.

:yahoo:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Step 1 wiring

Ran the wiring for the actuator to dump it. Sorry for the number of photos but someone might find it handy. Some of them won’t really mean anything unless your doing it. The wiring kit supplied is nice. Step one is changing a fuse behind the left side engine panel. Then there are three wires to hook up on a terminal block under the cowl on the left side. There is a relay that can be held by a screw that is already there in a perfect spot. The wires then go across to the right side and run down diagonally behind the ecu. At the lower left there is a trough that angles down perfectly to the underside of the platform. Once I realized the cruise control wire starts where the new wire comes out of the trough and is routed and anchored along the frame right back to where i needed to go. I routed the new wire around the fuse box and back to where a bundle of wires goes through the fender behind the roll bar into the area under the side console. The direction say to go back around the fender and this would be fine but I had a pin tool for the connector and decided to add a hole and grommet right below the existing one. Then the wire for the actuator exits out the back by the rear svc lines.

Some oberservations.
1. The directions supplied are very good but I wish they were in color.
2. I was glad I had just washed it. I still had to blow out some area because there is not much room to work underneath and having dirt fall in my eyes would have made it worse.
3. I think the wire that runs from the junction block to the rear console could be 6”-12” longer. I don’t like rats nests but it would have been tight had I went around the fender instead of through it. There is plenty of room for any extra under both the cowl an the side console. I did leave some play in it cowl because I didn’t want it stretched tight and that probably played a part as well.
4. I do not like the connector used at the actuator end. It is the two flat blades, one vertical, one horizontal that has been used forever. I much prefer the watertight connectors they used for the switch connections under the side council. Probably because they actually come apart nice and it doesn't feel like your tearing your thumb nail off trying to release it.
I would rather have a short wire on the tractor side and a long one on the actuator but I suppose that is how the actuator is made. I have been wanting to put something like a 7 pin trailer hitch plug-in on the back of the tractor anyway and if I know me this will get tail lights on the back so I will change it anyway.
5. They supplied a switch that goes right into the empty slot on the console. I appreciate the factory look and location.

I will supply more photos of it mounted tomorrow. I did hook it up so I could cut the PTO shaft to length but no official photos until I get my quick hitch adapters and the deck chute attached. I only posted the one so it would show the wire to the actuator.

The deck chute is a kit straight from Deere and looks straight forward.

In hindsight I should have gotten the caster wheel kit. Might need to correct that one.

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
Looks awesome, great pictures! I'm pretty excited to hear how that fan works, 1/4" steel PTO fan sounds insane. A few questions:

Do you think it will be easy to access the fan to clean it?

Are the bearings for the fan sealed on the inside where they will contact grass clippings?

Are the bearings for the fan greaseable?

·
Premium Member
4,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Looks awesome, great pictures! I'm pretty excited to hear how that fan works, 1/4" steel PTO fan sounds insane. A few questions:

Do you think it will be easy to access the fan to clean it?

Are the bearings for the fan sealed on the inside where they will contact grass clippings?

Are the bearings for the fan greaseable?

I will do the chute tonight I hope. Well maybe not but i did get these photos’s. The pop can will give you an idea of the size of this blower and the top chute clean out is easily big enough to get into as well. I like the flip clamp for the hose, very quick and easily to remove without tools.

Easy to clean. Looks like the bearings are protected behind the open faced fan. The maintenance instructions only mention lubrication for the pto shaft so I will say they are sealed.

I don’t know how long this is going on but I was happy to see the warranty doubled for registering it. It is one year now for residential and I am not opposed to 2 years.:good2:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Tonight I squeezed in doing the easy part. I put on the quick hitch bushings and the deck chute and hose. The hose is much tougher than I expected.

I dropped the deck to a cut height of 3” and fired it up on it is own with out the deck running. There is a very strong draft, actually shockingly strong around the bottom of the deck on the chute side and when I held a Scott’s shop towel down by the edge at the far side of the deck it did suck it towards the chute not hard but impressive since it is 6’ away with a 3” gap around the bottom on a smooth floor.

In case anyone thinks I am affiliated with them in anyway, I am not.

I will take some photos tomorrow outside with it raised up and showing how it dumps. Plus can’t have to many shop pictures.:laugh:

They do recommend front end weights for the smaller tractors, I have them but empty it is not light up front at all but of course it has the deck on it. :greentractorride:

Not surprising; They look so much better on a Green tractor.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,928 Posts

Very Nice! I love my 1025r MCS 20. The JD Powerflow head could move more volume at times, but overall a great unit.
I like the power flow I have with the MCS14. The bags get heavy after dumping them anywhere from 15-30 times and my wife can’t lift them. I’ve looked at the MCS20 with electric dump and the more times I lift the bags the cheaper that MCS20 looks.

Curious what you paid for the setup herminator. If you don’t mind sharing. I know my current setup was around $2300.

·
Premium Member
4,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I like the power flow I have with the MCS14. The bags get heavy after dumping them anywhere from 15-30 times and my wife can’t lift them. I’ve looked at the MCS20 with electric dump and the more times I lift the bags the cheaper that MCS20 looks.

Curious what you paid for the setup herminator. If you don’t mind sharing. I know my current setup was around $2300.

This is very close to the price of a MCS-20 for a 1025R when you add up the unit, the chute kit, electrical kit and power flow on that. Both are in the $3,500 range, but there is shipping, but there is no taxes so it is basically a wash in state or out with that figured in. What I like on this but I have never used a power flow so maybe it is easy also. This is two bolts that hold the chute on, unhook the wire and pto lower and drive away. Under 2 minutes to put on or remove.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts

This is very close to the price of a MCS-20 for a 1025R when you add up the unit, the chute kit, electrical kit and power flow on that. Both are in the $3,500 range, but there is shipping, but there is no taxes so it is basically a wash in state or out with that figured in. What I like on this but I have never used a power flow so maybe it is easy also. This is two bolts that hold the chute on, unhook the wire and pto lower and drive away. Under 2 minutes to put on or remove.
The powerflo requires a bracket be mounted under the mmm. This bracket has a bracket/pipe on it that the Z bracket sits in. The powerflo sits on the other end. Swing the powerflo over the deck opening. Loop the belt around the extra pulley on the right mower spindle. Slide lever to tighten belt which is all that holds the blower against the deck.

Little more complicated.....,

·
Premium Member
4,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The final product. Sorry for the delay, I was taking the photos yesterday and my wife mentioned maybe I should mow the lawn.:laugh:

Casters on the way:good2: It is easy to hook up as is but I realized when I was shortening the pto shaft it would be easier just to roll it back and forth. Especially after I saw the nice box blade “skates” posted.

Overall very happy with the design.:good2:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
That's pretty sweet:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I’m jealous. Might have to be an upgrade in the coming years.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts