Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my first new horse trailer, it had no wheel balance weights. I asked the dealer (owner) about balancing and the response was "trailer tires don't need balancing; it's just a waste of money."

I bought tire and wheel replacements later for this trailer. This is what etrailer.com said when I ordered them. "At etrailer.com, our tire and wheel combinations are mounted so that the high heavy spot on the tire is aligned with the low light spot on the wheel. This provides adequate balance for trailer tires."

When I bought a new horse trailer a couple of years ago - same brand, same dealer, same person - the wheels were already balanced. "A smoother ride for the horses," said the dealer.

Now I'm in the market for an equipment trailer. I've been to a few dealers and noticed that most of the new trailers I've seen do not have wheel balance weights, but some do. By not balancing, the manufacturer pockets a tiny bit more profit, I'm sure.

My common sense tells me that wheel balancing is a good thing, but what's your thought on whether to balance trailer wheels or not?

·
Administrator
20,362 Posts
Balancing doesn't cost a lot, but can easily shorten the life of bearings and brakes, not to mention be harsh on your cargo. Why not balance them?

To those who said commercial truck tires don't need to be balanced either, phooey. I couldn't believe the difference it made.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
I balance my horse trailer tires just as done for a vehicle -at 70 miles an hour the wear on unbalanced tires will shorten their life. Really don't want blowouts on loaded horse trailer. I run 'D' range tires at 65psi.

My flatbed and stock trailer - I don't...they never get that far from home.

·
Administrator
17,298 Posts
Many will find this controversial...but I run DynaBeads in mine and it runs smooth as silk at 75mhp, maybe it would without them-but maybe not? They are cheap and effective IMHO. I rum them in the motorcycles too and have for many years without any other balancing aids.

·
Registered
21,495 Posts

·
Administrator
17,298 Posts

·
Registered
11,407 Posts
Balancing doesn't cost a lot, but can easily shorten the life of bearings and brakes, not to mention be harsh on your cargo. Why not balance them?

To those who said commercial truck tires don't need to be balanced either, phooey. I couldn't believe the difference it made.
Phooey? Haven't heard anyone say that in a long time. :laugh:

·
Administrator
20,362 Posts
Phooey? Haven't heard anyone say that in a long time. :laugh:
I did it to attract comments from old guys. Looks like it worked! :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
4,732 Posts
I do not have them balanced on my 14 K tandem axle dump or flatbed. I never ran balanced trailer tires so maybe I am missing something I don't know about. If it has electric brakes, the first time you forget to turn them down empty and flats spot the tires, the balance will be gone anyway though.

·
Registered
11,407 Posts

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
New to me

Many will find this controversial...but I run DynaBeads in mine and it runs smooth as silk at 75mhp, maybe it would without them-but maybe not? They are cheap and effective IMHO. I rum them in the motorcycles too and have for many years without any other balancing aids.
Those are new to me, first time I've heard of them. Can you tell an out of balance condition when first starting to move?

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
4,732 Posts
Those are new to me, first time I've heard of them. Can you tell an out of balance condition when first starting to move?

Treefarmer
No. Only when you get above 50mph typically unless the were really really bad.

·
Administrator
17,298 Posts

Treefarmer
No, never.

No. Only when you get above 50mph typically unless the were really really bad.
Ive heard 25 and 30, but whatever once the tire is spinning fast enough to feel anything, the beads are already distributed.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Those beads are pretty common in oversized Jeep tires as well. A lot of guys that off road their Jeeps will do it since you "air down" when you're on the trail and wheel weights will also get knocked off on the trail.

I went to a tire shop that specializes in big-rig tires to get one of my old Jeep tires repaired. They used them tractor trailer tires quite a bit as well.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Dynabeads are also popular with motorcycle tires.

Rob

·
Administrator
17,298 Posts
Dynabeads are also popular with motorcycle tires.

Rob
Yup, I have been running them for years in mine as stated above.

·
Registered
472 Posts
We do a lot of trailering with the race team. We have the 28' open trailer with 3 axles under it and another parts/tool trailer that we tow along to race events. We put about 25k miles on in 3 years of towing. I can tell you from experience with small diameter wheels balancing makes a huge difference.

We would eat through tires and bearings on the small diameter trailer tires in short order. Somewhere in the middle of Iowa one is running around loose on a rim still I'll bet you. We thought most of the wear was from wheel alignment so we focused there and took some of the wear out (the bad wear anyhow) but never got rid of it.

Once we balanced the tires three things became very evident: 1) tires wore much more even and for more miles. 2) bearings lasted much longer in the trailer axles. 3) We had much less problems with brakes on the trailer (needing adjusted, wearing out...)

Not 100% sure why but my guess is that all the ups and downs the tires make travelling back and forth across the country added heat and stress into the wheels and tires. Since we started balancing the tires we have not changed a tire on the trailer in about 5k miles. On our first trip out west we rotated tires every 800 miles and even became experts at changing tires off the rims with two tire spoons from Harbor Freight (no kidding, we could remove a wheel, demount the tire, remount the tire, inflate it and install the wheel in the length of time it took to fill the fuel tank to 3/4).

I would guess that in larger diameter tires it may be less of an issue but honestly, the harmonics of an out of balance tire have to go somewhere. They are either going into the suspension (springs/shocks) or into the trailer axles and into the trailer. For the $4 it costs to have them done why wouldn't you?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,103 Posts
The nice thing about these is the tire should never need balancing again. :thumbup1gif:
I believe as a tire wears, while using mechanically attached weights, it should be balanced again at some point during the life of the tire.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
My snowmobile trailer never had balancing done, and my first 10k equipment trailer was the same. My current equipment trailer, BigTex 10ET, towed -horribly- when I brought it home (3 hour drive). Had the wheels balanced and it made a huge difference.

I pulled all four wheels and took them to BJ's. I think it ended up costing me about $35 or thereabouts to get all four balanced up. Why WOULDN'T I do it at that price?

With newer heavy ET's coming with radial tires instead of bias ply, balancing becomes more and more useful (and necessary).

I've heard of the DynaBeads from my motorcycle days but have never used them myself. Lots of good comments about them, though.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts