Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I did my 200 hr. Service I added a wee bit to much hydro fluid where it's up to the top line on the stick, cold. What's the best way to drain a little.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Best way to drain small measured amounts is to siphon them out of the top or filler. Get a little drill drive pump or one of those trans/oil siphon pumps.

Otherwise you probably have to try to open the drain plug and let some out.

·
Premium Member
14,114 Posts
I did this once or twice with the sight glass days of the 2210 & 2305. Not the way I liked , but the only way I could think of was loosen the drain plug till it started to leak. Of course it was way to slow for my needs , so loosened the plug just a tad more, man fluid and plug went everywhere.. The next time , still made a little mess just not as bad, I held on too the plug till I removed what I thought was enough .
Neither way was good but I couldn't think of another way. I though of loosening the oil filter, didn't know if it would ruin the gasket. I didn't have a suction hose long enough to put down the fill tube and wasn't sure if it would have worked anyway...:unknown:

Wish you luck , we've been there.

·
Premium Member
10,954 Posts
If you mean the top of the cross-hatch on the dip stick then you are fine, no need to drain any out. That is the "true" full mark for the sump.

I overfilled mine a bit recently and I used one of those suction-style oil extractors to remove the excess. It worked perfectly. I simply inserted the hose down the dip stick hole and sucked a bit out. Never spilled a drop.

Extractor.jpg

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you mean the top of the cross-hatch on the dip stick then you are fine, no need to drain any out. That is the "true" full mark for the sump.

I overfilled mine a bit recently and I used one of those suction-style oil extractors to remove the excess. It worked perfectly. I simply inserted the hose down the dip stick hole and sucked a bit out. Never spilled a drop.

View attachment 34122
Thanks everyone. When I read the instructions it said that if you are at the top line it will overflow from where ever. ? Where did you get that oil extractor, looks pretty cool.

·
Premium Member
10,954 Posts
I bought it from Amazon. It has been handy. I have two Honda generators that are a royal pain to change oil due to the goofy crush washer and they make a mess inside the frame. I now suck the oil out and forget the drain plug. Same with another mower engine where the oil drains all over the frame. Now it's mess free. It takes a little longer to drain the oil but it seems to get more out.

On my X500 I always seemed to drain just under 2 qts. With the oil extractor I was about to drain every last drop to the point where when I put 2 qts of oil back in it was right on the full mark.

·
Premium Member
10,954 Posts
Thanks everyone. When I read the instructions it said that if you are at the top line it will overflow from where ever. ? Where did you get that oil extractor, looks pretty cool.
My 2720 has the goofy sight glass and the non-existant dip stick. The sight glass seems to be all over the place whereas the dip stick is more consistent.

Looking at the 1023e manual I see the following:

• Check oil level on dipstick. Oil level should be between levels (B) and (C) on dipstick.
  • Do not overfill transmission. Oil expands during operation and could overflow.
  • If oil is above top mark on the dipstick, drain to proper level.
So you do not want to be ABOVE the top mark.

·
Registered
21,475 Posts

View attachment 34122
Yep - this!

http://www.amazon.com/Pela-Oil-Extractor-6-liter/dp/B0000BYO97

Pela 6000 Oil Extractor - IDParts.com

I've had one for years to do top side oil changes on my VW TDI's. Have used it many times for other stuff also - and yes - the hydro fluid on my 2520. At my last change I was relying on the sight glass as I was topping off, but missed it when the glass became full - kept adding until I finally figured out a way to get at the dipstick and ended up 1.5 quarts over full. Got the Pela extractor out and sucked it out through the dipstick tube. That was nice as the extractor is pretty slow, so I sat behind the tractor and watched the sight glass - then pulled the hose out at just the right time to have it show 1/2 on the glass.

If you are at the top line of the dipstick I wouldn't worry about it. I see in your sig line you have a front plow. You know you will loose a little bit of fluid each time you install/remove a hydraulic line. I install/remove my loader many times in the summer and probably loose 1 quart in all over the year.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,200 Posts
Yep - this!

Amazon.com: Oil Extractor - 6 liter: Sports & Outdoors

Pela 6000 Oil Extractor - IDParts.com

I've had one for years to do top side oil changes on my VW TDI's. Have used it many times for other stuff also - and yes - the hydro fluid on my 2520. At my last change I was relying on the sight glass as I was topping off, but missed it when the glass became full - kept adding until I finally figured out a way to get at the dipstick and ended up 1.5 quarts over full. Got the Pela extractor out and sucked it out through the dipstick tube. That was nice as the extractor is pretty slow, so I sat behind the tractor and watched the sight glass - then pulled the hose out at just the right time to have it show 1/2 on the glass.

If you are at the top line of the dipstick I wouldn't worry about it. I see in your sig line you have a front plow. You know you will loose a little bit of fluid each time you install/remove a hydraulic line. I install/remove my loader many times in the summer and probably loose 1 quart in all over the year.
Seeing as how you said it I don't have about hooking up the FEL or something that uses the hydro fluid. :laugh: Guess I said it didn't I?! :lol: Shut up Levi, it's taken care of.

·
Registered
21,475 Posts
Seeing as how you said it I don't have about hooking up the FEL or something that uses the hydro fluid. :laugh: Guess I said it didn't I?! :lol: Shut up Levi, it's taken care of.
Oops - I was reading too fast and missed the loader in the sig line. Well more to my point then.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts