Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking at a 1025r right now. The dealer is getting aggressive on pricing to try and move stuff for end of year. The only thing in my mind is the blower vs the 54" plow with angle.

I have an x324 with the 44" snow blower on it now and live in the Rochester, NY metro area. We get snow between 3" and 3' (per storm, between 3 - 8 storms /year). The 44" in blower does a great job, the issue is that the x324 doesn't have a locking differential and is a bit light in the rear-end, so I will end up spinning quite a bit. The dealer has a great deal on a 'back-room' plow with angle kit for the 1025r, or I could go for the snowblower at a... less generous price.

I'm somewhat sold on the snowblower from a performance perspective. I have a 160 foot driveway with a 40'x40' turn around. Just curious if you all have an opinion on the blower vs. plow and how it'll perform in mid to heavy snow on a 1025r.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
12,321 Posts
I'm looking at a 1025r right now. The dealer is getting aggressive on pricing to try and move stuff for end of year. The only thing in my mind is the blower vs the 54" plow with angle.

I have an x324 with the 44" snow blower on it now and live in the Rochester, NY metro area. We get snow between 3" and 3' (per storm, between 3 - 8 storms /year). The 44" in blower does a great job, the issue is that the x324 doesn't have a locking differential and is a bit light in the rear-end, so I will end up spinning quite a bit. The dealer has a great deal on a 'back-room' plow with angle kit for the 1025r, or I could go for the snowblower at a... less generous price.

I'm somewhat sold on the snowblower from a performance perspective. I have a 160 foot driveway with a 40'x40' turn around. Just curious if you all have an opinion on the blower vs. plow and how it'll perform in mid to heavy snow on a 1025r.

Thanks all!
just my 2cts-but where u live at--me-i'dl go for the blower. if u go for the blade ur gonna run out of room to push ur snow. IMO.

·
Registered
22,730 Posts
There are a few members here that are in the same or similar lake snow zones. They will chime in I am sure.

For heavy snow a blower can’t be beat I feel. With a plow on the chassis (not on the loader) you will soon have piles of snow that will turn into concrete. With a blower you are getting the snow away from the edges of the driveway.

An important factor in the decision is if you have a paved driveway or gravel/dirt.

Buy it right and buy it once.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
An important factor in the decision is if you have a paved driveway or gravel/dirt.
Paved the whole way

There are a few members here that are in the same or similar lake snow zones. They will chime in I am sure.

For heavy snow a blower can’t be beat I feel. With a plow on the chassis (not on the loader) you will soon have piles of snow that will turn into concrete. With a blower you are getting the snow away from the edges of the driveway.

Buy it right and buy it once.

Yeah, this is what I was thinking too. If Deere had a loader mounted (quick switch) plow like the Orange fellas do, then I'd be a bit more inclined to go with a blade.

·
Premium Member
13,371 Posts
I agree with Stan and BigJim, where you are, I'd get the blower. I plow but I also don't get the lake effect you do. :good2:

·
Registered
229 Posts
I moved from Syracuse to Rochester. I had a 47 blower on my x758 - that thing was awesome - never lost traction, I had no weight on the back of the machine and just the stock HDAP tires did awesome. It moved snow like a beast, I used to do my neighbors' driveways because of how effective it was.

Get the blower - moving parts, yes, but it moves the snow effortlessly and then you're not scraping up your yard or running out of room when the big one hits.

How long is your driveway? If it's not that long, maybe consider any cat 1 3 pt hitch snowblower? Theyre a lot cheaper, many more manufacturer options too! If it's a long driveway, my neck is cramping up thinking about cranking my head around for very long to look behind me. Just read more of your post - YEAH, get the snowblower, that's a lot of snow to push into a pile! And get the front mounted blower. I would suggest getting the biggest one they have. It will save you time. Which Landpro office you dealing with?

Are you considering a cab at all? There are soft and hard cab options, some can be had in the 800-1000 range, then the hard ones can be up in the 3-4-5k range

Thanks all!

·
Registered
607 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I moved from Syracuse to Rochester. I had a 47 blower on my x758 - that thing was awesome - never lost traction, I had no weight on the back of the machine and just the stock HDAP tires did awesome. It moved snow like a beast, I used to do my neighbors' driveways because of how effective it was.
You say used to... what machine did you move to? In addition to my driveway, I do 4 neighbors as well (all similarly sized).

Get the blower - moving parts, yes, but it moves the snow effortlessly and then you're not scraping up your yard or running out of room when the big one hits.

How long is your driveway? If it's not that long, maybe consider any cat 1 3 pt hitch snowblower? Theyre a lot cheaper, many more manufacturer options too! If it's a long driveway, my neck is cramping up thinking about cranking my head around for very long to look behind me. Just read more of your post - YEAH, get the snowblower, that's a lot of snow to push into a pile! And get the front mounted blower. I would suggest getting the biggest one they have. It will save you time. Which Landpro office you dealing with?
Brockport office, it's where I picked up my x324 as well. I'm actually a bit frustrated with what they're offering me on trade, I'm headed in to discuss the issue with them. This all may be a moot point if they can't stand behind a machine they sold 2 years ago.

Are you considering a cab at all? There are soft and hard cab options, some can be had in the 800-1000 range, then the hard ones can be up in the 3-4-5k range
Probably not to start. I'd love it, but I plan on mowing with it too. It looks like a bit too much effort to pull the cab off for the summer. I've got a good set of Carhartts to keep me warm as it is now. Besides, the boss will only accept so much of a monthly payment for a "...giant toy..." :kidw_truck_smiley:

·
Registered
229 Posts
I had a postage stamp lot in Syracuse, I wanted a 1025R at the time but my boss wouldn't allow it, she narrowly approved the x758. Fast forward a couple years and a different property that needed loader and backhoe, and I had to sell my x758 at a significant loss and buy the machine I wanted originally.

People talk about x758 and 1025R being so similar - the operator station and chassis size is similar but otherwise these two machines have very different utility and functionality.

Check out the soft cabs by OMC and Seismik for 1025R - they're light weight and supposedly easy to take on and off. I do not have a cab, but I contract out my plowing (and thus my new neighbors don't get my services). They even have heaters optional!

A lot easier to roll a removable cab into a payment at zero percent as opposed to cash later :)

I had a great experience with Andrew at the Avon location

You say used to... what machine did you move to? In addition to my driveway, I do 4 neighbors as well (all similarly sized).

Brockport office, it's where I picked up my x324 as well. I'm actually a bit frustrated with what they're offering me on trade, I'm headed in to discuss the issue with them. This all may be a moot point if they can't stand behind a machine they sold 2 years ago.

Probably not to start. I'd love it, but I plan on mowing with it too. It looks like a bit too much effort to pull the cab off for the summer. I've got a good set of Carhartts to keep me warm as it is now. Besides, the boss will only accept so much of a monthly payment for a "...giant toy..." :kidw_truck_smiley:

·
Registered
22,730 Posts
Yeah, this is what I was thinking too. If Deere had a loader mounted (quick switch) plow like the Orange fellas do, then I'd be a bit more inclined to go with a blade.
There are a few options for a loader mounted blade. I didn’t keep any bookmarks but some others will hopefully chime in.

Here is a very nice summary of the options for snow removal for the sub-compacts -

1-Series Snow Removal Options - Tractor Time with Tim

·
Premium Member
975 Posts

Thanks all!
Hmm Rochester? Is moving to Florida an option?...No?:hide: Than if I lived there, I would go for sure with the blower:cheers:

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I have both due to the fact we get both wet and fluffy snow along with some big drifts, so I like to have options. As many stated they do make a blade for the loader. Sounds like a blower would help you most and then maybe get a back blade for the wet stuff.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
I have both due to the fact we get both wet and fluffy snow along with some big drifts, so I like to have options. As many stated they do make a blade for the loader. Sounds like a blower would help you most and then maybe get a back blade for the wet stuff.
The thing to note about the blade they make tho, is that it is made for small amounts of snow...The opposite of what Rochester gets:thumbup1gif:
For small snow removal and other chores,

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I m in the blower camp...blow it and forget it......

·
Corndog Hater
11,688 Posts
I am down in Chautauqua County, but live in an area that isn’t consistently tagged by lake effect. We do get our fair share though. I have all paved surfaces and run a 47” front blower and a 60” rear blade on my 1 series. It is a great combination. If you have plenty or room and are getting a loader, a plow would be fine, as you could move the piles. We like our blower. I do not think you can go wrong with either a plow or blower. I’m sure if you look around your area, you’ll see plenty of people plowing and plenty of people with blowers and everybody seems to be getting by.

·
Registered
187 Posts

Thanks all!
I have been using a blower on a 455 for years right now I have to plow because the new place is not paved yet, with that said
when we had a blizzard my blower out performed 4 wheel drive plow trucks and never lost parking space . I cant wait to snow blow with my 1026r next year.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks all. I think you’ve all convinced me :). Now I just need to either: convince the dealer to give me a blower for Free or convince the Boss that we should upgrade the existing setup. Not sure which will be harder.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Yeah, you want a blower. The downside to having both a blower and a blade is that they are not easily inter-changeable. I don't have either, but from what I have read you would have to remove the loader to use the blower, and if you wanted to use a plow, you would have to remove the blower and reinstall the loader. Sounds like a PITA to me.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Thanks all. I think you’ve all convinced me :). Now I just need to either: convince the dealer to give me a blower for Free or convince the Boss that we should upgrade the existing setup. Not sure which will be harder.
It’s Christmas so buy yourself a snowblower as a gift to your wife. Sure beats his and hers snow shovels.

All kidding aside the snowblower is the only answer in Western NY off Lake Ontario. I lived here for 45 years and the 1023E with the 54” snowblower is the only cure for the dumps of white stuff that ends up in my driveway. When the white stuff is two to four feet deep and drifted in a blade would be a joke.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts