1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
5,419 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What the heck is that creature in picture 3 doing? It appears to have some sort of weapon in it's hands and beating the snow with it.

Treefarmer
Babycakes, those weapons do not fit my hands.:dunno: :lol:

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
I don't put the blower on my X585 for years at a time but when we get snow like that is when I do.

·
Registered
22,637 Posts
It's kind of funny to me watching a storm like this unfold in such a populated area. People seem to freak out for some reason.

While we get out share of storms and heavy snowfall, I must say that I was impressed with the Massachusetts people when I was running mail up there. They took the big storms in stride for the most part.

I guess people these days have to be on the go everyday for some reason - staying home for 24 hours while the storm does its thing is like a death sentence to these people.

Get prepared, stay home, then clean up.

Things will get cleaned up a lot faster if the plow trucks can do their job without all the obstacles of stuck/abandoned vehicles on the road. Plus the fact of endangering all the emergency services people.

Taken from the cab of my highway plow truck back in 2002 -

99plow.jpg

·
Corndog Hater
11,685 Posts
Watching the news this morning on TV with my oldest (12yo) and he asked me what all the fuss was about 24" of snow as we had been predicted to get 18"-24" last week. It's funny how he has always lived with our weather and large amounts of snow are just taken for granted. I equated the mid Atlantic storm to a hurricane and their infrequency and that drove the idea home.:good2: Indeed stay safe all of you!!!!!

·
Premium Member
14,702 Posts
Ah, remember the winter of 2010, used over 85 gallons of fuel and put over 102 hrs on the tractor. Main thing JD did a good job and then the new to me blower did a good job. blowing snow  off drive 2(600 x 450).jpg

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
You folks are so lucky! I only get to use my tractor a couple times during the Winter to mulch/scalp my yard, and maybe another half dozen times for 15 minutes to haul wood from the creek to the house for the fireplace. You guys get to plow and blow snow all Winter. Although I didn't see any monument marked "North Pole", I assume you are assisting Santa to clear his drive and the walk to the Elves' quarters? What's with the horse? Where are the reindeer? :laugh:

I hate Winter. Anyone know of any fun things to do in the Cayman Islands?

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
You folks are so lucky! I only get to use my tractor a couple times during the Winter to mulch/scalp my yard, and maybe another half dozen times for 15 minutes to haul wood from the creek to the house for the fireplace. You guys get to plow and blow snow all Winter. Although I didn't see any monument marked "North Pole", I assume you are assisting Santa to clear his drive and the walk to the Elves' quarters? What's with the horse? Where are the reindeer? :laugh:

I hate Winter. Anyone know of any fun things to do in the Cayman Islands?[/QUOTE]

Yes, the lobsters are as big as small children! (a quote from the movie Club Paradise)
And you can have all my snow if you want it so you can use your tractor on a more steady occasion.. :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts

I hate Winter. Anyone know of any fun things to do in the Cayman Islands?[/QUOTE]

Yes, the lobsters are as big as small children! (a quote from the movie Club Paradise)
And you can have all my snow if you want it so you can use your tractor on a more steady occasion.. :lol:
Mmmmm! I love lobster; mostly fresh from the pot. Don't need them big as a small child though; I can barely afford one weighing half a pound. Thanks for the snow offer, but all kidding aside, I love snow...in pictures only. If it wasn't for the kids and grand kids, I would consider moving a bit farther South.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Watching the news this morning on TV with my oldest (12yo) and he asked me what all the fuss was about 24" of snow as we had been predicted to get 18"-24" last week. It's funny how he has always lived with our weather and large amounts of snow are just taken for granted. I equated the mid Atlantic storm to a hurricane and their infrequency and that drove the idea home.:good2: Indeed stay safe all of you!!!!!
At my last job I was out on the road a lot for business trips. I remember one trip to the Norfolk VA area where there was a snowstorm coming in. I had made the comment about trying to get my work done early so I could get to the airport before the snow hit. One of the people I was working with who was a local made some comment to the effect that since I live in Minnesota I should know how to drive in the snow. I replied that yes, I can drive in the snow and am not concerned about my abilities. It is all of you that don't know how to drive in the snow and I will be sharing the roads with that concerns me. He laughed and said I was right about that.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Giz, how long does it take you to clear all that snow with the plow?
I think the fangs speed up the process. It scares the snow out of the way...

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Giz, how long does it take you to clear all that snow with the plow?
That one, a long time as we ended up with something like 48" in that storm over a 2 day period. A big storm like that one I would plow when the snow was the height of the blade. I really like plowing snow but that storm was really over the top. I think I plowed 3 times. Me, my wife and two daughters were completely wasted after day three.
Anything short of 8" is a real sleeper as it takes no time at all. It's having 3 small driveways and the barn area that ALL takes some time.

The boys and girls are in for a good time in the Mid-Atlantic States:lol:

·
Registered
404 Posts

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
That one, a long time as we ended up with something like 48" in that storm over a 2 day period. A big storm like that one I would plow when the snow was the height of the blade. I really like plowing snow but that storm was really over the top. I think I plowed 3 times. Me, my wife and two daughters were completely wasted after day three.
Anything short of 8" is a real sleeper as it takes no time at all. It's having 3 small driveways and the barn area that ALL takes some time.

Yeah, if I can I will run out and plow mid storm when we get a lot. It isn't hard to switch over to the blower. Just I hate how cold I get when it blows back on me. Because of the layout of the driveway, house and other buildings, I can't always blow with the wind.

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts

Thanks Giz and I figured you kept up with the storm, we can get to much and not be able to do much with a plow if you wait! For some reason I am not remembering the 2010 storm? Maybe we didn't get it? I do remember a couple 24" storms but not all in one storm. The reason I remember those storms; all you could see was the spout sticking out of the snow on my 42" BERCO blower and running at .05 MPH! ! Last year oh ya, I remember; one storm after another and no melting at all in-between. I am hoping this storm will stay south of me but now depending on who you watch, it could come up the coast further and into our area.. I am the only one who shovels here too so with all the decks and stairways I get wasted pretty quickly, not as young as I used to be ,, Really hate this stuff, pretty? oh ya but......

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
1 - 20 of 77 Posts