Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
X739, 54" HC Deck w/AC & MC, 54" QA SB
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The back story: When I ordered my X739 with 54HC auto connect deck w/ much control, 54” snow-blower, click-n-go bracket and some suitcase weights, beginning of last November, the dealer said they had everything in stock, within the dealers network (they have multiple sites), and It would take a few weeks to get everything consolidated and prepped for delivery. So I placed the order. A week later I get notified that they have to order the snow-blower and it would be a month for that to come in. I think ok fine, I should still get it before any major snow. Tractor with deck gets delivered end on November. Good, I got to destroy leaves. The date the snow blower was supposed to be in comes and goes and no word from the dealer: no response to emails, no phone message. So I call, which takes a few time to get ahold of the rep. He states that it is on the truck and should be here anytime. It did not arrive at the dealers until 6 January. They dealer picks-up the tractor to install all the parts for the blower (mid-front PTO set-up, Click-n-Go, Front Quick Hitch). I get the tractor back a week and a half later, discharge chute is miss-aligned (when it is all the way to the left it is pointing strait back at the operator), only 1 of 2 hydraulic hose guides are installed (between were the 2 are supposed to be), the latch that holds the Auto connect in the up position is not installed, they removed the entire auto-connect system with the draft bars, hydraulic fluid was not topped off after “installing and testing the snow-blower”, and the manuals they deliver are covered in grease, grime and footprints.

My questions: Would you trust the dealer to perform the recommended scheduled maintenance (required to get a warranty extension out to 10 years)? Am I just being too picky expecting to have no of these issues when spending that much $?

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
If they can't even do the dealer prep correctly, personally, I would NOT want them performing any maintenance.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
The back story: When I ordered my X739 with 54HC auto connect deck w/ much control, 54” snow-blower, click-n-go bracket and some suitcase weights, beginning of last November, the dealer said they had everything in stock, within the dealers network (they have multiple sites), and It would take a few weeks to get everything consolidated and prepped for delivery. So I placed the order. A week later I get notified that they have to order the snow-blower and it would be a month for that to come in. I think ok fine, I should still get it before any major snow. Tractor with deck gets delivered end on November. Good, I got to destroy leaves. The date the snow blower was supposed to be in comes and goes and no word from the dealer: no response to emails, no phone message. So I call, which takes a few time to get ahold of the rep. He states that it is on the truck and should be here anytime. It did not arrive at the dealers until 6 January. They dealer picks-up the tractor to install all the parts for the blower (mid-front PTO set-up, Click-n-Go, Front Quick Hitch). I get the tractor back a week and a half later, discharge chute is miss-aligned (when it is all the way to the left it is pointing strait back at the operator), only 1 of 2 hydraulic hose guides are installed (between were the 2 are supposed to be), the latch that holds the Auto connect in the up position is not installed, they removed the entire auto-connect system with the draft bars, hydraulic fluid was not topped off after “installing and testing the snow-blower”, and the manuals they deliver are covered in grease, grime and footprints.

My questions: Would you trust the dealer to perform the recommended scheduled maintenance (required to get a warranty extension out to 10 years)? Am I just being too picky expecting to have no of these issues when spending that much $?

I would seriously look into what exactly that extended warranty covered. It's probably not much and if it's just on the engine and transmission those parts are the most durable and long lasting parts on the machine. There is very little chance either of those parts will go bad in 10 years even with poor maintenance practice.

Paying a dealer for service on these machines is really expensive compared to when the parts and fluids cost on their own.

Routine maintenance on the x7 is really easy. The factory designed fluids and filters to be changed as easy as possible. The owners manual walks you thru all the routine items and is well written.

Save up the extra money the dealer would charge you to do the maintenance for any parts that might wear out down the road. By the end of 10 years you will probably have like 2k saved or more.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I would not trust that dealer. The warranty is probably not worth much more than the paper it is printed on (unless you are both unlucky enough to have a significant failure and lucky enough that they actually cover it and fix it correctly in a timely manner).

Unless you have a way to transport the machine to the dealer, there is additional cost for that. Then there is how long it will take them to get to your machine after it has left your property. Most auto mechanics do a decent enough job of timely repairs. Most tractor mechanics, not so much. Expect to be without your machine for weeks (for simple service) and you probably won't be too disappointed most of the time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
First, talk to the manager of that dealership about your issues. They cannot fix problems with a department that they do not know about. They are supposed to be committed to making it right.

Not all dealerships are the same. Some come to your location with a service truck and do all the maintenance you require at your location. Bigger problems may require transport to their service facility.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Absolutely not! This is actually how most dealerships are. They will charge you $100+/hr for a flunkie to half @$$ his way through your machine. I am the only person who does any maintenance on any of my equipment or vehicles. I also use better quality oil than the dealership is going to use. Good dealerships with good thorough mechanics are about 1 out of a thousand.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
if you want your warranty out to 10yrs i guess you do not have a alternative?

so if the above is true and you want the warranty it seems your only options are to trust but verify

otherwise they have already proven they do not perform to your standards so either you seek someone that does or learn to do it yourself (it isnt that hard)

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I can't think of any maintenance item on a x700 that would even come close to requiring a dealer. Around here one dealer charges $80, another charges $100 just for transportation each way - so you are already $200 down before they even touch it. Given your dealer's history, I don't think I would want them to do any work on it. For pretty much anything you have to do to that machine someone here on GTT probably posted instructions and tips....and if not, just ask.

·
Registered
248 Posts
As far as warranties go they aren't worth much to me, especially extended warranties. I bought a factory extended warranty on my Chevy Silverado and when the bed sides started to bubble with rust I tried to have them fix it since it was part of the warranty. The tech looked at it, agreed and said "yeah that's going to get bad" and they made a bs excuse not to cover it but offered to cover 50% of the inflated cost so I canceled the warranty and said I will never buy another GM product again. I also spent several thousand dollars on Craftsman tools which had a "lifetime" warranty... well so long for that "warranty".

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm going way off topic here I know, but what does dealer cost to do maintenance? I've always been curious
I want to say it is $400-500 including what would be in the 200 hour service - crankcase and transmission oil, etc. They inflate the tires to proper pressure, top off all fluids, grease and lubricate all points on the tractor and the loader and backhoe, also includes mower deck service (leveling, clean deck, sharpen blades etc). During their sloweest times they offer free pickup and delivery.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
...dealer to perform the recommended scheduled maintenance (required to get a warranty extension out to 10 years)...
That may be slightly illegal:

“The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act was a law that was passed in the 1970s and states that it’s not legal to require the use of a manufacturer part or service in order to maintain a warranty,”

·
Premium Member
17,420 Posts
That may be slightly illegal:

“The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act was a law that was passed in the 1970s and states that it’s not legal to require the use of a manufacturer part or service in order to maintain a warranty,”
That probably applies to a manufacturers standard warranty. The 10-year deal described by the OP sounds like a dealer private offering. JD corporate probably isn't involved.

Reactions: kylew

·
Registered
71 Posts
Get with the GM for the dealership - let them know your issues and concerns. You will be able to gauge their response and handling against the poor work already provided and make a value decision for yourself at that point. He is not doing the work but should reconcile the previous poor work and provide you expectations to meet or exceed - otherwise find another dealer IMO. IF the 10 year extended is what you want - don't let a spotty dealership squander it for you - I love warranties myself so passing on that for this reason I would not agree with, but passing on using that dealership based on how they respond would be warranted. Simple thought here is if THEY cant get their S together that doesn't mean you cant for yourself and machine. Good luck!

·
Registered
635 Posts
If this is the Power Guard Warranty from Deere, you don't need to use the dealer for maintenance.

MAINTENANCE OF COVERED EQUIPMENT AND RECORDS: a
You must properly maintain the Covered Equipment and, at your
expense, perform scheduled maintenance in accordance with the
Operators Manual for the Covered Equipment. You must maintain
records of all scheduled maintenance, repair, or service work
completed and must present these records to us, upon our request,
to verify compliance with this condition.
if it is a dealer supplied warranty it probably covers even less of the things that are likely to go wrong.

My brother has been very successful with the extended warranties he has purchased on his Chrysler mini vans. But, I don't know if he has been lucky, unlucky, or perhaps both in the right ways.

·
Registered
759 Posts

not only would I not trust them to do maintenance, I would have not accepted the product..... "take it back, and get me a new one"

Who knows what they screwed up, stressed, or broken - during the installation?... and have you ever heard a mechanic be honest and tell you "I had to bang the side of the U-Joint with a 2lb sledge, to get the shaft to pop into place!... but don't worry sir!.. I got it in there and all is good!...." ?... LOL!

I don't trust ANY dealer.... car, tractor, you name it. I don't even trust them with an oil change - because I've heard tons of stories "... oh we use an equivalent hydraulic fluid - it's the same rating so all is good!...", sourcing it from cheapchinesekrap.com while charging me JD fluid prices......

nope

zero trust towards any dealer

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
I trust my dealer to do maintenance, but at a shop rate of $125.00/hr, it doesn’t make sense to have them do flunky work like fluid changes.
It’s difficult for me to relate to so many people on this forum that say they don’t trust their dealer to do an oil change???
It’s not exactly rocket science. I wouldn’t do business with any dealer that I thought couldn’t handle such simple tasks.
Any type of extended warranty is like the black jack tables…you may win once or twice, but the house always wins over time.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I trust my dealer to do maintenance, but at a shop rate of $125.00/hr, it doesn’t make sense to have them do flunky work like fluid changes.
It’s difficult for me to relate to so many people on this forum that say they don’t trust their dealer to do an oil change???
It’s not exactly rocket science. I wouldn’t do business with any dealer that I thought couldn’t handle such simple tasks.
Any type of extended warranty is like the black jack tables…you may win once or twice, but the house always wins over time.
Just because they charge $125/hr does not mean you get $125/hr of value.

For $125/hr and in cases I absolutely have no choice but to use a shop, I demand that only the fully licensed mechanic touches my equipment - no students, no apprentices. I want to see all the new parts (in boxes) before they get installed, and all the consumables (oil etc) gathered before the work starts - so I can inspect the brand and type of parts used, the jugs of fluid, etc. And I demand the removed parts (even if broken) be given to me at the end. And I still don't trust them.... the only way I would trust any of them is if I could watch them do the work, while using the correct parts and materials.

Why?...
it's a case of "been there".....
I used be very close to another service industry. Back decades ago. The charge-out rate was $75/hr at the time. They would send co-op students (no certifications, little training, etc) to go do work...
These students cost less than half $/hr than a licensed professional, and they took more time to do the work because they were learning. The customer happily paid the bill..... and sometimes the students even did a good job.
I get people have to learn... apprentices and students... fine... then I want the student cost-rate... $35/hr not $125.

Are there good / ethical mechanics out there?... sure there are... probably most of them are. But the few scammers ruined it for everyone else.

sorry.. had to vent a bit... done now... feel better...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts