Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mrs. Rod dubbed this one the "Toasty Tractor." It's a Ferguson TO-30 and I suspect it's from 1954 based on the Continental Z-129 engine serial number (tractor serial number plate is missing). The prior owner added brand new tires, gas tank, battery and a few other odds and ends. I was surprised to discover it had the original Ferguson wrench in the tool box, original top link, PTO cover and even the hand crank! He wanted a motorcycle and sold it for the price of the tires but it's probably not worth much more.
Oddly enough, she starts and runs like a sewing machine without leaking a drop or smoking. The clutch, brakes, tranny, hydraulics, PTO and even the wheel bearings are tight as a drum. I'll give her a full tune up with new fluids and replace the old wiring. I may even look for some original headlights and side emblems in the tractor salvage yard but I really like her rusty patina. Tonight might be the first time she's ever spent the night in a barn in the last 64 years.

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,265 Posts
Great looking machine!
My neighbor has a similar one, it’s still used to cut 5+ acres of grass with 5’ RFM weekly. Here is is posing next to my old 4110.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,270 Posts
Rod, she's a sweet looking ride. :good2:
She had lots of potential, no beat-up sheet metal. She'll look even better with a new paint job and lights. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
I'm with Flyweight on the paint. Although, it seems that a lot of collectors are keeping old tractors in their original state. That is a real nice old tractor, Rod. Nice find whether you paint it or not.

By the way, 64 years old is not old.:dunno:

·
Registered
84 Posts
That is a great TO-30!

The TO-20's and TO-30's are solid. Just keep an eye on the oil pressure and temperature and they will run forever-- regardless of what the Internet says about the Z-129.

I wish I hadn't sold mine now...

2014-03-30 17.19.22.jpg

I'd gladly have kept it if my property was flat....

Take care!
-Matt

P.S. If you hear a tick and you think it is the valve train, it may be the distributor rotor hitting the brass high tension leads in the cap. A sign of a worn gear on the distributor. You can change them out now.... And you should! It can trash the cam gear.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Cool, that old tractor has character!

And unlike some other older tractors, you have a 3-pt hitch and a pto, so it’s useful.

After all, Ferguson invented the 3-pt!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts