Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As per usual I found this one browsing craigslist, at the price tag or $50 I couldn't resist. Although this one is a project on the back burner it's still a cool find. The PTO shaft will turn slightly left/right but will not turn over a full 360*. The tines are locked solid so I'm thinking it either has a seized bearing or something on the side box isn't right. I'm not sure if this model has a drive chain on the side or if it has an idler gear but something is locked up. I'm looking forward to tearing into it and seeing what all is wrong. :thumbup1gif: More updates to come! :thumbup1gif:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
That is a very cool project. Can you get parts for it?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Parts will be interesting, I know of a couple online sources so between them and the local shops I should be able to get it going. :thumbup1gif:

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
502 Posts
Howard

I found this online. Most likely not the one you have but there may be some info that may help. Good luck and have fun. Send more pictures of the process along the way to recovering this.

file:///C:/Users/dcocosa/Google%20Drive/AAAAAAAAAAAA/R500_MAN_GB_051005_74966834300.pdf

And here is The Howard Web Site.

Howard Rotavator

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Man, that thing is a beast. I bet it would till up a rock garden.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well I'm starting to make progress on the tiller since I'm waiting on parts for my other projects. First off was to clean it a bit and remove the years or grime from it. Followed by removing the extra homemade metal brackets off of the back as well as anything that was damaged. I removed a wad of wire, rope, and twine from the tines which freed it up to turn again. :thumbup1gif: Then it was little things like relocating the lower pins, adding fresh oil to the gearbox, removing the end yoke on the PTO shaft since the locking pin was seized, tightening loose bolts, and inspecting everything to ensure that yes, it will work. I do have a questionable bearing on the right side but before I go pulling it off I want to verify the part number for it out of the manuals I ordered to see if I can even get the bearing anymore. I also found out that it was originally a rental unit, likely the cause of a lot of the damage on the unit. It's hard to tell from the sticker but I believe it was a rental yard in Salem, OR. Regardless, this tiller has some history behind it which is kinda interesting. More updates to come! :good2:

For some reason my computer is having troubles uploading pictures, I keep getting an image not valid box. I'll have to see what needs to be done to get them up.

·
Administrator
18,466 Posts
For some reason my computer is having troubles uploading pictures, I keep getting an image not valid box. I'll have to see what needs to be done to get them up.
The forum is having issues with posting pics right now, it's not on your end :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lets see if the pictures will upload :thumbup1gif: The only update I have so far since my last post is I was able to unseize the locking button on the PTO shaft. It also is in need of 1 u-joint but all in all, not too bad.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Looks much better without the moss. She has seen some hard use. Good luck with her, look forward to the updates.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Little bit of an update. I replaced the u-joint for the PTO shaft and decided to hook the tiller up to the tractor to see how everything sounded. I only had a clunk sound which was just a bent piece of metal that the tines would snag with each revolution. The skid steer bucket made a nice solid object to hit against and straighten it out. Other than that the tiller works great! Definitely undersized for the 4400 but for as rough as it looks it works very well. I made a quick video of the tiller running as well, still impressed with how quiet it is. :thumbup1gif: At the moment it has a couple spots where gear oil weeps but for now I am happy with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3ilfPLlgT0

Attachments

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Nice find and the repairs was just normal maintenance of the age of it. Now a nice fresh green paint job and you are done.

Reactions: Johndeere3720

·
Super Moderator
8,189 Posts
At some point you might want to check with these folks about some replacement tiller blades

Agristore USA | Replacement Parts | Howard Tiller Blades

I'm sure you'll also drain and refill the gearbox & chaincase oil and inspect and grease the bearings as well. :thumbup1gif:

Good luck!

Reactions: Johndeere3720

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kinda undecided on the paint as of yet, I kinda like the patina, really considering the age of the unit it isn't that bad. I do plan on changing the oil in the gear box and side case, I was waiting for my manuals to come which once I got them I verified that yes, it takes 90 weight gear oil. I also learned that the Selectatilth has adjustable tilling speeds. This is done by changing out I believe two gear sets in the back of the gearbox which change the output speed at the tines for faster and slower tine speed. The different gears offered were color coded so it would be easy to determine what gearset your unit was equipped with. I'll have to pop the cover off and see, I am kinda curious about it. :good2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts