Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I always thought Quick Hitch was new thing within the past 5-10 years, but looks like it has been around a long time. But one thing I don't understand is why no one seems to make one that will fit cat 1 lower pins? Most seem to want you to buy bushings and I don't get why?

I see that Land Pride has the qh05 and qh10 that looks to use the cat 1 pins only without the bushings, but the price looks high at about $400. Is anyone aware of any cheaper versions that simply use the cat 1 pins? (Already know about Pat's, talking about Quick Hitch type here.)

I seen this mod for the Harbor Freight quick hitch and wondering if anyone knows of anyone fabricating something like he did? (Looks like something for Ken's Bolt on Hooks to fab.....lol) The best way to fix a category 1 3 point Quick hitch! Harbor Freight and others. - YouTube

·
Super Moderator
5,293 Posts
The Land Pride is the only QH that I'm aware of that offers the ability to not use bushings. As they say on their page, the QH05 and QH10 have "non-standard" Cat 1 bottom hooks. Everyone else seems to use the standard Cat 3 bottom hooks.

·
Super Moderator
5,293 Posts
Most seem to want you to buy bushings and I don't get why?
Just as an add-on here, the QH isn't new and when they came out the target wasn't homeowners with SCUTs. They were designed for farmers/ranchers who might have several tractors (and implements) of different sizes. By putting a Cat 3 bottom hook, you could use some of your Cat 2 or Cat 3 implements on a tractor that only has a Cat 1 3pt hitch if you needed to.

If they put Cat 1 hooks on it, you can only use it for Cat 1 implements. That would probably work for many of us here in GTT but we're only a sub-set of the total market.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To me, forcing everyone to buy bushings is non-standard....lol One would think manufacturers would make a cat 1, cat 2 and cat 3 series of quick hitches. Seems to be the route that Land Pride has maybe taken. Makes more sense to me. But I guess, you are locked into that size range then. If you move to a larger tractor, you would have to buy a new quick hitch. But having to buy a bunch of bushings is a road I really don't want to go down.

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
To me, forcing everyone to buy bushings is non-standard....lol One would think manufacturers would make a cat 1, cat 2 and cat 3 series of quick hitches. Seems to be the route that Land Pride has maybe taken. Makes more sense to me. But I guess, you are locked into that size range then. If you move to a larger tractor, you would have to buy a new quick hitch. But having to buy a bunch of bushings is a road I really don't want to go down.
It's all about cost to manufacturer the product, how many different models need to be inventoried, and how many they will sell. To my knowledge and as others have said, Land Pride is the only manufacturer that makes a designated quick hitch for cat 1 attachments and yes, buying bushings for every attachment is expensive, although Land Pride seems to know this since their designated cat 1 quick hitch isn't cheap. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
13,067 Posts
JD does make Quick Hitches for Cat-1, Cat-2 and Cat-3.

I believe JD even makes what they call an "economy hitch" that accepts Cat-1 pins without a bushing.

The iMatch most of us use is Cat-1. The BIG tractors have had a "quick hitch" for a long time and their isn't anyone putting bushings on those implements.

How the whole Cat-3 pin size on smaller tractors got started still remains a bit of a mystery.

I see the bushing issue a small price to pay for the added convenience of quickly interchanging implements. You would have to go to a much bigger tractor to need something larger than Cat-1. All JD 1 thru 4-series tractors are Cat-1. You get into a Cat-2 with the 5-series. So if you upgrade from a 1025R to a 5075E you'll probably have to buy all new implements anyway so is a new larger hitch really a show stopper?

How many sets of bushings does the typical owner need anyway? Most of us have found bargains on-line whereby bushing sets can be had for anywhere from $10 a set to $15 a set. Again, I can't see that being an issue. You could always swap them from implement to implement if necessary.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
I agree to a point, but... How many rear implements do you (or most of us) have? I have a wood chipper, my ballast box and a roll-over back blade. I used to have a rear grading blade, but sold it about a month ago. The box blade is old enough that it's not Quickhitch compatible, so that leaves the other implements. Let's say I had a total of 5 rear implements though. So even if I needed bushing for all of them, I'm only looking at (less than) $100 for them all. In the whole big picture of everything I have invested in my tractor and attachments ($30k-ish?), that's a drop in the bucket. Certainly not a road that I was worried about going down.

·
Registered
610 Posts
The bushing is a fine fix for me, I have implements that came with Cat 1 pins and Cat 2 pins. I can buy bushings for either to get them to the standard Cat 3 Dimension. I can also borrow or rent implements and throw a set of bushings on and use them. If I had a Cat 1 size quick hitch I would be limited to implements I can change the pins themselves on. This wouldn't be very practical for welded on pin designs. I actually wish my 4052R came with Cat 2 size lift arms and top link. It's easy to use a bushing to make them smaller, but for a brush mower I use for my neighbors in their pasture I had to buy a new top link and change their lower pins to Cat 1. It wasn't quick hitch compatible in any sense.

·
Super Moderator
5,293 Posts
I believe JD even makes what they call an "economy hitch" that accepts Cat-1 pins without a bushing.
I'm not sure if that econo hitch is available any more. The model number for it is PMQH100. Some sites show it as available anywhere from $312 to $475, other sites show it available as "New Old Stock" and other sites say it is no longer available. :unknown:

Reactions: PJR832

·
Premium Member
13,067 Posts
I'm not sure if that econo hitch is available any more. The model number for it is PMQH100. Some sites show it as available anywhere from $312 to $475, other sites show it available as "New Old Stock" and other sites say it is no longer available. :unknown:
Interesting... I was not aware of that. I just checked JD parts and PMQH100 (black) and PMQH101 (green) both show as no longer available. I have a feeling JD didn't sell many of them with most customers opting for the standard iMatch. I also suspect a lot of customers never even knew the economy model was available.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm glad there is a way to be able to use different implements for different tractors. My neighbor has a 35 horse boomer and HF QH, we are able to borrow each others implements without any issues. Like those said above, it made a standard size so all sorts of attachments could be used and to also make it cheaper for the consumer to use. I have 5 attachments and bought 3 sets of bushings when I got my 1025R, after awhile it got old moving bushings around so I was able to go to my local D&B supply and get more bushings. The cost is marginal for the convenience.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I don't think that buying bushings is such a big expense or hassle. Yes, the John Deere pin-on lower bushings can be $$$$, but any farm store will have sets for a LOT less.

z1.JPG

DSCF8001 - Copy.JPG

And not all my implements need or can use the pin-on style.. The cat 1 to cat 2 under a cat 2 to cat 3 set-up costs less than $10 per implement. Just remember that the sizes of bushings used in the lift arms is NOT the same as the top link... Be sure to look at the packages... so you're not like me and have to drive 50 miles round trip to make the exchange..........:banghead:

DSCF9072 - Copy.JPG
DSCF9073 - Copy.JPG
DSCF9074 - Copy.JPG
DSCF9077 - Copy.JPG

DSCF9016.JPG
DSCF8932.JPG

·
Premium Member
13,067 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I always thought Quick Hitch was new thing within the past 5-10 years, but looks like it has been around a long time. But one thing I don't understand is why no one seems to make one that will fit cat 1 lower pins? Most seem to want you to buy bushings and I don't get why?

I see that Land Pride has the qh05 and qh10 that looks to use the cat 1 pins only without the bushings, but the price looks high at about $400. Is anyone aware of any cheaper versions that simply use the cat 1 pins? (Already know about Pat's, talking about Quick Hitch type here.)

I seen this mod for the Harbor Freight quick hitch and wondering if anyone knows of anyone fabricating something like he did? (Looks like something for Ken's Bolt on Hooks to fab.....lol) The best way to fix a category 1 3 point Quick hitch! Harbor Freight and others. - YouTube
I bought one of these and it seems to use standard Cat 1 lower pins though it came with a pair of adapter bushings for some reason. Maybe they are for converting Cat 0, I wasn't paying much attention. It isn't supper high quality but has been working well for me for the last 66 months or so.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KJVB864/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Premium Member
13,067 Posts
JD should be ashamed for what they charge for bushings.

Check out this deal...

RanchEx 102074 Quick Hitch Adapter Bushing Kit - Cat 1 For Quick Hitch (SKU 102851)

Amazon.com : RanchEx 102074 Quick Hitch Adapter Bushing Kit - Cat 1 For Quick Hitch (SKU 102851) : Garden Outdoor

$9.15 a set!

My bushings arrived today. Hopefully some of you are taking advantage of this smoking deal on Cat-3 lower bushings with roll pins. You will not beat $9.15 a set anywhere! Take note that the product card shown in the photo and what you will receive is WRONG. I have no idea why they have the dimensions listed as 4" x 1-1/8" (which would be a Cat-2 bushing). The bushings in the bag are actually 1-7/16" O.D. as they should be for Cat-3.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
But one thing I don't understand is why no one seems to make one that will fit cat 1 lower pins?

Most seem to want you to buy bushings and I don't get why?
There is a good reason for the bushings in my humble opinion,,,

Having the much larger pin in the hook reduces the percent of slop in the connection.
The result is that the quick hitch and attachment does not flop around as much during use.

Also, you can get the smaller pins to work, but, the resultant joint will not be as strong as the bushing increased larger pin connection.

·
Premium Member
13,067 Posts
There is a good reason for the bushings in my humble opinion,,,

Having the much larger pin in the hook reduces the percent of slop in the connection.
The result is that the quick hitch and attachment does not flop around as much during use.

Also, you can get the smaller pins to work, but, the resultant joint will not be as strong as the bushing increased larger pin connection.
I have no issues with using bushings but if the "Cat 1" Quick Hitch was designed to accept Cat-1 pins there would be no slop in the connection. :)

I'm not even sure you gain any strength as the pin bearing all the load is still the 7/8" Cat-1 pin inside the bushing. You could wrap it in electrical tape to get rid of the slop and have the same strength pin. ;-)

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have no issues with using bushings but if the "Cat 1" Quick Hitch was designed to accept Cat-1 pins there would be no slop in the connection. :)

I'm not even sure you gain any strength as the pin bearing all the load is still the 7/8" Cat-1 pin inside the bushing. You could wrap it in electrical tape to get rid of the slop and have the same strength pin. ;-)
A larger pin diameter spreads the working loads over a larger contact area. While some implements may be limited to 7/8th's shear strength by design, many have Cat 2 and even Cat 3 straight out of the box. I have some Cat 3 lift arm diameter stock I build things like trailer movers out of so they drop right in the quick hitch. And it keeps cheap skates that won't buy a quick hitch from borrowing it. :laugh:

The bushing build up may seem frustrating, but it's far more versatile than being limited to one size.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bought one of these and it seems to use standard Cat 1 lower pins though it came with a pair of adapter bushings for some reason. Maybe they are for converting Cat 0, I wasn't paying much attention. It isn't supper high quality but has been working well for me for the last 66 months or so.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KJVB864/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I missed this post! Thanks! I just came across this same quick hitch today and was going to update this thread about it, but I see someone already did! Nice, not having the extra cost of the bushings in my opinion for those of us that will only have a cat 1 implements!

Amazon.com : RanchEx 102850 Quick Hitch - Adjustable Top Bracket, Cat 1, Red - Meant To Use Without Bushings : Gateway

1 - 19 of 19 Posts