Ingredients
1 cup grated mozzarella 

1 * 9-inch prebaked deep dish pie shell 

1/2 cup chopped green or vidalia onion

10 * fresh basil leaves, chopped 

4 * tomatoes, peeled and sliced 

1 cup grated cheddar 

1 cup mayonnaise
3 or 4 slices of bacon (or ½ cup bacon bits)

salt and pepper
1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Slice the tomatoes. Place the tomatoes in the collinder to drain.
Cook bacon until crispy. Allow to cool and break into small bits.
Mix mayonnaise, cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, bacon, salt and pepper.
Layer the tomato slices, basil, and onion in pie shell.* Season with salt and pepper.*
Sprinkle the sugar across the layer if used.
Spread the mayonnaise and cheese mixture on top of the tomatoes and bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
Cut into slices and serve warm but it is very good cold.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Wow! That sounds great!! I need to try that, while I am getting fresh tomatoes and basil from the garden. Maybe this weekend....

And will one of our mods/admins please add that to our GTT cookbook?

Thanks ever so much!

·
Registered
714 Posts
'Round these parts we call that Pizza.

·
8,558 Posts
Mayonnaise on a pizza?!?! I've never had any pizza like that! But then, I may have led a sheltered life!

·
8,558 Posts
I just checked, and I have most of the ingredients. I'll get the pie shell and mayo tomorrow, then I'll be making this!! :fed:

·
Super Moderator
7,914 Posts
Sounds great! I just recited your recipe to Mama and she agreed. Just went out to the garden to pick some fresh tomatoes and basil. It's what's for supper tomorrow!!

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I cooked two this afternoon and I can say again, this pie is delicious. Try it, you'll like it.

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
Wow! That sounds great!! I need to try that, while I am getting fresh tomatoes and basil from the garden. Maybe this weekend....

And will one of our mods/admins please add that to our GTT cookbook?

Thanks ever so much!
Which category in the cookbook would this fit under? :unknown:

·
8,558 Posts
Which category in the cookbook would this fit under? :unknown:
Side Dish would work, unless Uncle Wayne prefers someplace else.

(It sounds so good, it is going to be my main, and only, course, when I have it this weekend!)

Thanks Dieselshadow!!

·
8,558 Posts
OK, I made this tonight. Thought I would eat a small piece and save all the rest for tomorrow. I have eaten almost 1/3 of the thing, a sliver at a time!!!

Holy cow!!! That is good!!! I finally covered it and put it in the fridge for the weekend! Will probably make another over the weekend too!!

Now the question is, does it freeze well?

·
Registered
770 Posts
I don't have time to cook this.....

But I'm gonna.:lol:

Sunday is "Epic Sunday chow" day around here, and there's a spatchcocked chicken thawing.
The 'Mater pie would make a good side.

Thanks Unc!!!

·
8,558 Posts
I think that I will take back my "like" on this! :mocking: I pulled the rest of the pie from the fridge this morning, so that I could have a small piece for breakfast, while making marinade for fajitas that I am planning for supper.

Only, I did not stop at one small piece....there was 2/3 of the pie left, when I pulled it out. Again, one sliver at a time, there is only half a pie left!!! Had to put it back in the fridge, because every time I went through the kitchen, I had another "taste". I am NOT a breakfast eater, usually coffee only!!! So now, I am miserable. But DANG!!! That is so good, it is probably illegal!!

·
8,558 Posts
I was thinking about making several of them in one weekend, and freezing some for the winter. If they would freeze nicely, that would be an AWESOME side dish to put out in the winter!! Hearty enough for a cold day, and a taste of summer too!

And with it only using 4 tomatoes per pie (although my tomatoes were medium size, so I used 5), it leaves a lot more tomatoes to either can or freeze. I like frozen, as I use them in soups, stews an spaghetti sauce during the winter, but a person could make several of these, and everything would be easy later. Just defrost in fridge overnight, heat and eat!! :fed:

I think that I will get some more pie shells this week and try it with one of them. If I do, I'll be sure and post how it turns out.

·
Super Moderator
7,914 Posts
My wife made it with tomatoes and basil from our garden but she spiked it with some home grown garlic which was no surprise. It was great! She made a second pie, gave it to a friend and her and her husband really enjoyed it as well.

·
8,558 Posts
I have home grown garlic too! :mocking:

I love it when almost every ingredient comes from the garden!! :good2:

·
Super Moderator
7,914 Posts
I have home grown garlic too! :mocking:

I love it when almost every ingredient comes from the garden!! :good2:
Folklore has it that garlic has powerful health & healing powers. My great grandmother wore a string around her neck with a couple of cloves of garlic on it. She lived to 105! Who knows? We just like the taste. Nothing like fresh, hot home made bread slathered with garlic butter!!

·
8,558 Posts
Yes, garlic is a strong anti-oxidant. It also has some anti-bacterial properties. Some crush it, then steep it, then strain the liquid into a container such as a Netti-pot, that can then be used to flush ears, or sinuses (so needs to be strained well!!). It also is a mild blood thinner in humans. (It is this property that makes it, and onions and leeks, toxic to dogs and cats.) But it is very healthy for humans!

And like y'all, I just like the taste!! :thumbup1gif:

Not sure about wearing it around my neck though. I probably would never see my friends!! :mocking:

·
Super Moderator
7,914 Posts
And like y'all, I just like the taste!! :thumbup1gif:

Not sure about wearing it around my neck though. I probably would never see my friends!! :mocking:
Great grandmother thought it kept the germs away. In a way she was right. It kept people at a distance and subsequently their germs as well!!

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
Something odd this year; we have never had to plant garlic ever; have always had plenty just from the volunteer that came up on the periphery of our yard (planted some 25 years ago by my former neighbor). Nothing this year; can't figure it out. Haven't sprayed in years. As for the Tomato Pie, I'm going to cajole Sharn Jean into making one...we have the fresh tomatoes and for the first time, fresh Basil. Love the smell.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts