Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hauling firewood lately with my x728 and was thinking about about attaching my wagon to increase the hauling capacity. In order to attach the wagon I need to remove the suitcase weights (rear ballast). Question - if I load the wagon full of wood first, will it serve as a substitute for the suitcase weights (rear ballast) to counter the firewood in the bucket?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Weight is weight as long as it is consistent weight. I'd be worried that with a trailer the tongue weight wouldn't be consistent and bad things could happen.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I'd say it depends on where your trailer ball is. If it's at the end of your lower 3point arms and the trailer tongue weight is heavy it might be close. If it's down on the drawbar the trailer won't have anywhere near as much leverage as the weights do due to the pivot being closer to the tractor.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Jim

·
Administrator
18,465 Posts
I would look into having a receiver hitch added to your weight rack. There is no way IMHO that the tongue weight on a small trailer would equal those suitcase weights.

·
Registered
892 Posts
That sounds like a great idea. I'm not used to little trailers. Mine has 1000 lb pin weight when it's empty.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have to concur with adding a receiver to the weight rack as the best of all worlds. Actually a two wheeled trailer in an uphill position can actually begin to lift the tongue if the load is balanced on the axles, which most garden style trailers are designed to do. If you elected to remove suitcase weights and pull a trailer, you should consider wheel weights or loading the tires as an alternative. I suspect adding a receiver to the weight rack is the cheapest of these options.

·
Registered
892 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts