Green Tractor Talk banner

Took down a Dead Cedar tree

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Cjet69 
#1 ·
Dropped my first tree with the MS 660 w/32" bar. This Cedar has been dead for several years. The bar was just large enough to cut from one side. After cutting off 5 rounds we started to get to more solid wood. These trees very often have a rotten core in the butt section. We will be cutting lumber out of the 5 nine foot logs. Got the largest log loaded on the sawmill to see if it will handle it. we might just squeak it thru, but won't know for sure until we try cutting. Now its time to break out the new Woodland Mills chipper to take care of the branches.

Plant Plant community Tree Natural landscape Wood
Plant Vehicle Tree Logging Wood
Plant Tree Wood Natural landscape Terrestrial plant
Plant Chainsaw Tree Logging Wood
Plant Tree Wood Logging Trunk
Plant Wood Tree Trunk Natural landscape
Plant Tree Wood Natural landscape Natural material
Plant Wood Tree Natural landscape Terrestrial plant
Plant Wheel Tire Automotive tire Wood
Plant Wood Terrestrial plant Trunk Natural landscape

See less See more
#3 ·
That odd shaped base, a section of that would make a nice coffee table.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk
That shape is pretty common with the bigger Cedars here in the Pacific NW and yes it would make a neat coffee table.

#4 ·
That's a dandy of a tree. That'll make some nice lumber.

#5 · (Edited)
Ok I got Questions..

Why did this Ceder die..that seems odd.

What Mill do you have...I've got a .L-15..Woodmizer.

Whats the plan for the wood...as in dimentional lumber ,sideing, or something I haven't thought of..? I got a bunch to deal with.

#9 ·
Ok I got Questions..

Why did this Ceder die..that seems odd.

What Mill do you have...I've got a sht..L-15..Woodmizer.

Whats the plan for the wood...as in dimentional lumber ,sideing, or something I haven't thought of..? I got a bunch to deal with.
Not sure why it died, but we have quite a few dying in our woodlot and in our county. Some theories are drought conditions or insects.

The mill is an old Norwood mark III. Its small at 18" between the rollers, but it gets the job done. My cousin just bought an LT-15 woodmizer.

The wood will be cut into 1x siding and maybe some 2x4's. We have another 12-15 trees after this one waiting. I guess we need to start building with a lot of Cedar.

#8 ·
We have had a lot of Cedars die. Don't know why. The last one was about that big. I only have 3 large cedars left out of about 8 that I planted along the center line of my place in the early 80s.

When I bought my property in 79 the previous owner had planted 200 of the little buggers. I dug and gave away until I couldn't find anyone else that wanted them so I started burning them. They don't burn all that easy either. They were growing wild all over before I had the place clear cut. I still have them popping up around the fringes.

I want to buy a chipper to chip cedars with. Can't buy cedar chips around here. I could get all I want after Christmas.

Reactions: Cjet69
#11 ·
Here are my guesses 1. farmall c? super c? 2. ford 8n? 3. oliver 88?

Nice saw BTW!
The Farmall is a Super C, the ford is a 2N, and the oliver is a model 70.

#12 ·
Took down a few more small dead Cedars. These were about 12-14 inches at the butt. Should be able to mill some 1x's or 2x's out of them and make firewood and chips out of the rest.

Plant Plant community Tree Natural landscape Wood
Plant Natural landscape Tree Wood Terrestrial plant
Plant Plant community Green Tree Wood
Plant Plant community Natural landscape Tree Branch

#13 ·
Milled 4 more logs. 3 were small at around 8"-9" Dia. Got 11 2x4's out of them. I cut the larger log in to 1x 8's and got 15 of those. I still need to cut the slab wood to size and I may get 2-3 more boards. I rolled one more log on the saw which I will cut up tomorrow, more 1x8's. All of this is for my brothers chicken condo that he is building. This should get him finished up I hope.

The big log on the mill in the first post yielded 28 1x8's.

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Tree Lumber
Brown Wood Building Stairs Tints and shades
Wood Natural material Wood stain Hardwood Plank
Plant Plant community Leaf Wood Natural landscape
Plant Plant community Tree Wood Natural landscape
Wood Wheel Hardwood Wood stain Plank

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.