Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Deere's version of a tool box is more like a glove box embedded in the left hand fender of the 3D/3E tractors.
I needed something a little extra, so I set out to cobble an additional tool box.

What I did find kicking around the shop was a used plastic tool box that originally came off of a JD 1025R.
There are not a whole lot of suitable places to mount an extra tool box. I initially thought of using the left hand ROPS bar and trying to mount it low enough that it cleared the hazard lights, yet far enough out that the lid would open fully. The more I tried, the more impractical that location was.

Standing at the rear of the tractor, I saw another potential location, just above the top link holder and in front of the SMV sign. This location looked promising.

I never ever use the top link holder and now that I have the hydraulic top link, that makes it totally useless.
Two bolts hold the top link bracket to the tractor frame. Scrounging around the scrap steel bin, I found a 4" x 10" piece of flat steel, maybe 1/8" thick. I then put that piece in a large vise and bent it over the prescribed amount so when the tool box was mounted on it, it was level. Two holes were drilled and the flat steel was bolted to the original Deere top link bracket.
I choose not to weld the steel plate to the Deere top link bracket in the event I ever wanted to change it back to the original configuration.

The plastic tool box had a steel plate bolted on the bottom. Removed that and welded the tool box bottom support to the 4"x10" steel plate.

It looks like it fits there. The tool box lid opens fully and the mounting location does not interfere with top link when it is raised to the highest position. In lieu of a plastic tool box, one of the steel ammo cans or something similar could also be mounted there. When the tool box lid is closed there is still a fairly large portion of the SMV sign that is visible.

Took me about 1.5 hours to complete this little project. One does not need a welder for this project... the tool box could also be bolted to the bent flat steel as well. Here are a few pics.

Green Finger Gas Auto part Thumb
Green Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper Gas
Green Motor vehicle Light Hood Automotive tire
Green Automotive tire Product Motor vehicle Bumper
Green Motor vehicle Automotive tire Product Automotive design
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Green Vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
That looks like it belongs there 👍
Can you fully raise the 3 point hitch without making contact with the box?

Reactions: Busman

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That looks like it belongs there 👍
Can you fully raise the 3 point hitch without making contact with the box?
Yes... no contact. and room to spare.

Reactions: trav

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Cool. I might have to do this myself, I was wondering where a good place might be for a toolbox.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts