Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ll start off by saying I’m just a weekend hobbyist. I’ve always used craftsman tools but all mine are from pre-2000 when they were USA made.

I’d like to add a set of gear wrenches to my stable. I can’t find any craftsman ones that are made in the USA.

What all do you guys use. I would love to be able to afford snap on or Mac but that’s out of the question for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Our power tools are all yellow cept for a few odds and ends. We've upgraded most of 18 volt stuff to 20. Much lighter. Mechanic tools are a menagerie of odds and ends of USA made tools with just a few harbor freight thrown in.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
I’ll start off by saying I’m just a weekend hobbyist. I’ve always used craftsman tools but all mine are from pre-2000 when they were USA made.

I’d like to add a set of gear wrenches to my stable. I can’t find any craftsman ones that are made in the USA.

What all do you guys use. I would love to be able to afford snap on or Mac but that’s out of the question for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I have Taiwan craftsman ratcheting wrenches. Never had any issues with them.

It's funny because I lost one once, so I ordered a new one. Guess what? it is US made, and it has a finer tooth that the china ones.:bigthumb: there are US made ones, but its a gamble finding them.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Proto has a pretty good line of hand tools in the low-medium price arena.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,151 Posts
Proto has a pretty good line of hand tools in the low-medium price arena.
Have some old (30 - 40 years) Proto punches, impact sockets, ratchets, breaker bars, extender shafts and a few other
things, still going strong. :good2:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Gearwrench.
Im partial to Snap-on for ratchets and wrenches, but for ratcheting, Im not paying that kind of money.

Stanley-Proto is good stuff too, but almost as much money as Snap-on. Harder to find too, unless you order online.
There is also Armstrong for a bit less money.
Williams too, but you have to be careful there if you are only wanting USA made tools. Some is and some isnt.
I have a big set of Williams wrenches made overseas, but the quality is excellent.

The company that owns Gearwrench is the one who was making Craftsman until Stanley bought them.
That said, I talked to one of their reps a few years back when they came in to do a presentation to the company I worked for and said that Craftsman has tools made to their specs, and price point. He emphasized the price point part. Gearwrench was one of their top lines. Apex tool group I believe.
Anyway, since our local Sears went out a few years back, and Sears itself is now likely going away, Im steering towards replacing whats left of my Craftsman stuff with other brands.
Honestly, its not much, mostly sockets and a few ratchets.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I have gear wrench....work just fine for me....weekend mechanic.

·
Administrator
16,777 Posts
I look at Proto and SK when I need something.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I've got a set of Craftsman sockets and wrenches from the mid 50's...still holding up well! I bought a 2nd set in the mid 80' and they're holding up well also. For something I'm going to use once, Harbor Freight, for something I plan on using for a while...or for HEAVY duty, typically beyond the rating of the tool!...I go with Kobalt from Lowe's, close to me and same lifetime guarantee as Craftsman. So far, I've never broken a Kobalt, so I can't comment on guarantee! Bob

·
Registered
967 Posts
Try Flea-Bay, I usually find what I want and at a lower price. You must shop although.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Even if you were wrenching on vehicles every weekend, I don't think you can go wrong with Gearwrench or Craftsman for the price point. I have both as well as a set of Matco wrenches, with hobby use I see no difference other than the Matco wrenches have a finer tooth and allow work in smaller areas due to that ratchet engagement.

The only issue I personally have ever had, and remedied with future purchases, was with the reversible ratcheting ends. The small lever would eventually fail. So now I only use wrenches than have to be flipped over to reverse direction.

I like this
wrench1.png

Not this
wrench2.png

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,214 Posts
Even if you were wrenching on vehicles every weekend, I don't think you can go wrong with Gearwrench or Craftsman for the price point. I have both as well as a set of Matco wrenches, with hobby use I see no difference other than the Matco wrenches have a finer tooth and allow work in smaller areas due to that ratchet engagement.

The only issue I personally have ever had, and remedied with future purchases, was with the reversible ratcheting ends. The small lever would eventually fail. So now I only use wrenches than have to be flipped over to reverse direction.
I have to have the off set angle so I deal with the small lever.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts

I like this
View attachment 653116

Not this
View attachment 653118
That’s why I like my thin profile Mac’s.
No lever. Just flip it over to change direction.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
With anything ratcheting, I really like Matco stuff, but that $$$.
Kobalt has done ok, and gearwrench. Not as tough, I've stripped out some, but probably not using them "as recommended" :laugh:

I have to have the off set angle so I deal with the small lever.
Get the ones with the flex head, then you can have whatever angle you want!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts