Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year, I almost fell several times going back to the garage for a snow shovel. Right after the driveway has been plowed, it glazes over with ice until the sun can melt it. I'm fine on the tractor, but walking very far from it invites disaster. One of my neighbors was not so lucky, and he's still recovering from a fall last winter. I decided to figure out a good way to carry hand tools with me on the tractor. I know some members here have done creative things to hold tools with the load box, but I don't use a load box.

While on Amazon looking for something else, I came across some tool holders made by Kolpin for ATVs. I put them in my wish list and forgot about them. A few weeks later they went on sale (I think 30% off) and Amazon notified me. I decided to give them a try.

Before drilling any mounting holes in my tractor, I did some extensive testing to see how tough the holders were and if they would grip a heavy tool in the vertical orientation while the tractor traversed rough ground. (I'll detail the testing in a subsequent post.) I was very pleased with these holders. They stood up to abuse and they did not let heavy tools slip. I also looked at safety considerations to make sure that a slipping tool would not klong me in the head. Note to self: Wherever possible, keep the heavy/sharp/scary/dirty end of the tool down, as far as possible from my head.

Installing the holders took some time, but was pretty straightforward. I'll provide some installation details in a subsequent post on this thread. I like the way these holders angle forward, away from the implement that might attach on the quick hitch. I could not see any implements in my future where interference would occur. But the holders are easily removable if they become a problem.

These holders are great for summer work as well. I can carry a shovel and leaf blower while mowing. This way I can stop and move animal droppings that I don't want to mow over without walking all the way back to the garage. And I can blow the chaff off my radiator screens when the engine temperature rises, again without a trip back to the garage. If I take my string trimmer with me, I can trim the far reaches without all the walking. The tree trimmer allows instant action when branches are harrassing my ROPS.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,812 Posts
Me likey! I may have to steal this idea from ya!

Reactions: Robnik and keane

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Testing before Drilling

Before I drilled mounting holes in my quick hitch to install the holders, I wanted to know if they would withstand abuse and if they would hold a heavy tool in a vertical alignment without letting the tool slip as the tractor traversed rough ground.

I mounted 2 of the holders on a piece of wood with the same separation they would have on the quick hitch. I then installed my heaviest shovel in the holders, using the rubber straps provided.

Holding the wood with gloves on, I struck the bottom end of the wood on the concrete 40 times to simulate an extremely rough ride on the tractor. After 40 times, the shovel had moved down about an inch. In the photo, notice that the strap has stretched to give this inch, but it did not give up its point of grip on the wooden handle of the shovel. I then struck the wood on the concrete 80 more times and noted that no additional movement occurred. Once the strap had stretched, it held its position on the handle and allowed no more movement of the shovel.

The holders flexed with each strike, but did not break or show any adverse signs from the rough treatment.

I was satisfied that no more than one inch of slip would occur no matter how rough the ride. As a double-safety feature, I considered ordering 2-piece stop collars for my tools. These would be located on the tool handle just above where one of the holders engages the handle. This would absolutely prevent any slip. However, I've decided not to order these unless real-world use suggests that my testing was not as thorough as I believe it was.

I also considered the safety impact of one of the tools sliding down and touching the ground as the tractor moved forward. This would tend to pop the upper end of the tool out of the top holder and propel it toward the rear of the tractor. In my simulation of this scenario, the upper end of the shovel's handle hit the back of the seat. It was pretty far from my head, so I feel like getting klonged is a pretty unlikely possibility.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Installation Details

To install the holders, I began by studying the inside of the mechanism channels on the quick hitch to determine if I could run fasteners into the outer walls without interfering with operation of the latches. I convinced myself that if necessary I could even have a nut on the inside and everything would still have room to operate. That would be the fallback design. The primary design plan was to tap threads in the 1/4 inch steel walls and just barely intrude inside the channel. I had no prior experience tapping threads in steel; I simply read how to do it on the internet.

I created a 1:1 scale template of the drilling locations using Microsoft Visio, then printed it on legal size paper. I cut out the 2 identical templates and taped them onto the outer walls of the quick hitch, centering them on the latch handles above. Using an automatic center punch, I marked each hole and then removed the templates. (If you would like a copy of this template, please private message me.)

Then came the fun part. Each hole had to be drilled, de-burred, and tapped with threads. Drilling through 1/4 inch steel is no picnic. Not having a floor mounted drill press with adequate clearances for the quick hitch, I had to do them by hand. I used a Ryobi hand drill with a bubble level on the top. Looking down on the drill, it's not hard to keep the bit perpendicular from a right/left perspective. But it is extremely hard to keep it perpendicular in the up/down perspective when viewed from the top. The bubble level on the drill makes this easy. I lubricated the bit and the hole with cutting oil before starting to drill, and I stopped and cleared the swarf and re-lubricated with cutting oil about 4 or 5 times for each hole. I was running about 12 minutes per hole, including drilling, de-burring, and tapping threads. And there are 16 holes counting both sides. During thread tapping, I lubed the tap and the hole with cutting oil before and during the process. For both drilling and tapping, I kept the latch levers on the quick hitch in the up position. In this position, there was no interference with the drill bit or the tap for any of the holes.

After each hole was created, I cleaned the oil and grease out if it using a 22 caliber gun cleaning brush and a rag soaked in isopropyl alcohol. I also cleaned each 1/4-20 7/8" long cap screw to make sure it had no oil or grease. I bought the black cap screws on Amazon; no local suppliers carried 7/8" long screws. I also used a black #10 flat washer with each screw (found at Ace Hardware).

Just before mounting the holders, I filled each hole with medium (serviceable) Locktite. The 7/8" screws just barely intrude into the mechanism channel. With the Loctite, no lock washer is needed.

After mounting the holders, I connected the rubber straps to them permanently with a black cable tie.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Nice clean attachments.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Nice idea Keane! So how did you decide on the 21500 version of the grips? When I looked on Amazon there were at least 4-5 options for single grips and a few double grips as well, so why this one? No criticism of choice intended, just curious if there was a reason. Did you consider any alternative mounting options that didn't include drilling into the QH?

Reactions: Robnik

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Why this model of Kolpin Grip

Nice idea Keane! So how did you decide on the 21500 version of the grips? When I looked on Amazon there were at least 4-5 options for single grips and a few double grips as well, so why this one? No criticism of choice intended, just curious if there was a reason. Did you consider any alternative mounting options that didn't include drilling into the QH?
I considered a couple of the other models, but this size appeared to be right for the tools I was interested in. I saw the double grips, but I thought they might require offsetting the height of the tools in each grip, and there really isn't a lot of extra room to do this without getting close to the ground with one tool. I wanted to keep the tools at least a foot off the ground so that when working on irregular terrain or around snow banks I would not risk dislodging the tool by hitting the ground or snow. I didn't see many occasions when I would need more than 2 tools. By adding a second rubber strap in between 2 tools, I think I can put 2 tools into 1 set of these single grips. For example, I may want to take an ice scraper along with the snow shovels. I've already purchased a spare set of rubber straps. I'll install them on one side and try out the 2-tool idea.

I did consider mounting these grips on the ROPS using U-bolts. (I did not want to drill into the ROPS.) There are some nice mounting plates included with each grip that I think would facilitate this. However, I could see interference on the right side with the tool box, and I like the tool box. As far as mounting on the quick hitch, there was a lot of time to think about alternatives during the 3+ hours of drilling and tapping. I could not come up with any that would handle the weight of the tools and look decent, and the motivation for an alternative was certainly there. If you see any, please share them and I'll promptly start banging my head on something.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
223 Posts
Last year, I almost fell several times going back to the garage for a snow shovel. Right after the driveway has been plowed, it glazes over with ice until the sun can melt it. I'm fine on the tractor, but walking very far from it invites disaster. One of my neighbors was not so lucky, and he's still recovering from a fall last winter. I decided to figure out a good way to carry hand tools with me on the tractor. I know some members here have done creative things to hold tools with the load box, but I don't use a load box.

While on Amazon looking for something else, I came across some tool holders made by Kolpin for ATVs. I put them in my wish list and forgot about them. A few weeks later they went on sale (I think 30% off) and Amazon notified me. I decided to give them a try.

Before drilling any mounting holes in my tractor, I did some extensive testing to see how tough the holders were and if they would grip a heavy tool in the vertical orientation while the tractor traversed rough ground. (I'll detail the testing in a subsequent post.) I was very pleased with these holders. They stood up to abuse and they did not let heavy tools slip. I also looked at safety considerations to make sure that a slipping tool would not klong me in the head. Note to self: Wherever possible, keep the heavy/sharp/scary/dirty end of the tool down, as far as possible from my head.

Installing the holders took some time, but was pretty straightforward. I'll provide some installation details in a subsequent post on this thread. I like the way these holders angle forward, away from the implement that might attach on the quick hitch. I could not see any implements in my future where interference would occur. But the holders are easily removable if they become a problem.

These holders are great for summer work as well. I can carry a shovel and leaf blower while mowing. This way I can stop and move animal droppings that I don't want to mow over without walking all the way back to the garage. And I can blow the chaff off my radiator screens when the engine temperature rises, again without a trip back to the garage. If I take my string trimmer with me, I can trim the far reaches without all the walking. The tree trimmer allows instant action when branches are harrassing my ROPS.

I Couldn't help but notice you have a seat cover for your 1025r. If you don't mind what size of cover is that and where did you get it.
Thanks for your help!
Travis

·
Registered
616 Posts
I considered a couple of the other models, but this size appeared to be right for the tools I was interested in. I saw the double grips, but I thought they might require offsetting the height of the tools in each grip, and there really isn't a lot of extra room to do this without getting close to the ground with one tool. I wanted to keep the tools at least a foot off the ground so that when working on irregular terrain or around snow banks I would not risk dislodging the tool by hitting the ground or snow. I didn't see many occasions when I would need more than 2 tools. By adding a second rubber strap in between 2 tools, I think I can put 2 tools into 1 set of these single grips. For example, I may want to take an ice scraper along with the snow shovels. I've already purchased a spare set of rubber straps. I'll install them on one side and try out the 2-tool idea.

I did consider mounting these grips on the ROPS using U-bolts. (I did not want to drill into the ROPS.) There are some nice mounting plates included with each grip that I think would facilitate this. However, I could see interference on the right side with the tool box, and I like the tool box. As far as mounting on the quick hitch, there was a lot of time to think about alternatives during the 3+ hours of drilling and tapping. I could not come up with any that would handle the weight of the tools and look decent, and the motivation for an alternative was certainly there. If you see any, please share them and I'll promptly start banging my head on something.
I got nothin on alternatives. I am liking your idea, and like you a little queezy about drilling into ROPS as well as the QH, but the QH is a little less dangerous. Thanks for the info, I am going to consider doing this in the upcoming months.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1025R Seat Cover

I Couldn't help but notice you have a seat cover for your 1025r. If you don't mind what size of cover is that and where did you get it.
Thanks for your help!
Travis
John Deere 18" Compact Utility Tractor Seat Cover (Large) #LP95233
Sold by: GREEN EQUIPMENT

Available on Amazon

·
Registered
417 Posts

Great Idea for carrying a weed wacker around the yard!

:bigthumb:

-Lou

Reactions: BigJim55 and keane

·
Registered
806 Posts
Oh man, I had forgotten about this thread. After seeing it last year, I got two of the same Rhino rack mount things the OP did and mounted them vertically to the left side of the ROPS as a rifle rack (we have wolves). However, they quickly turned out to spend more time carrying anything other than the rifle. Shovels, axes, coats, you name it, it gets stuck into the things. It's really, really handy to have and I highly recommend them since they're a no-drill way to mount something to the ROPS.

·
Registered
13,704 Posts
Oh man, I had forgotten about this thread. After seeing it last year, I got two of the same Rhino rack mount things the OP did and mounted them vertically to the left side of the ROPS as a rifle rack (we have wolves). However, they quickly turned out to spend more time carrying anything other than the rifle. Shovels, axes, coats, you name it, it gets stuck into the things. It's really, really handy to have and I highly recommend them since they're a no-drill way to mount something to the ROPS.
williaty--how about a pic with something in ur holders. just yesterday i needed something like this to carry a shovel and rake to my burn pile-thanks-big jim

Reactions: ColonyPark

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks

That is exactly what I have been looking for. I actually found the same Kolpin mounts on ebay and bought 2 sets about a week ago. I have a friend that is a good fabricator and he was going to make me a setup out of some scrap pipe that mounts to my quick hitch like it was a 3 point attachment. But I like your idea much better because it allows me mount a weedeater or shovel, etc and have a 3 point attachment besides..... Like a trailer hitch or a ballast box. Thanks for the great idea !!!!My Stihl weedeater is in 2 pieces, so I can have 1 piece on each side of the quickhitch.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I bought the Killings but they don't fit on my tops. Maybe longer screws will do it. Am I doing something wrong?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
504 Posts
Kolpin

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.