Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I started building my tooth bar monday afternoon. First is the piece of 1/2"x3"x70" piece of steel for the bar and side pieces. It was $24 at the local foundry. Ill try and keep a running total on price if someone is interested in building their own. I got the teeth and shanks off ebay for $198. This was the real expensive part. But that was including shipping and these things are HEAVY. That also included the pins to hold the teeth on. So I have $222 in it so far. A comparable bar from what I found is $325, so im in the green $103 so far compared to buying one.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
What type of steel are you using? Standard mild steel, or something harder?

Are there more teeth available, or was it a one time sale on eBay?

Interested to see how this turns out, a toothbar is on my list as well.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cut that 70" piece down to 52.75". That left me with two side pieces 8.5" long. I then cut the corners off one end of the sides so I could round it off easier. I only did this to remove sharp edges, probably not really necessary.

Attachments

Reactions: JD4044M

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The bar is just mild steel. I dont think I will wear it out but maybe it will. If it starts showing a lot of wear, Ill weld the edge with hardened rod. Im also grinding a cutting edge into the bar so hopefully it takes the blunt edge away and lets stuff slide over it easier. He has more teeth available. 7 Pengo Bucket Teeth Shank Set John Deere Case Ford Backhoe Fits on Most | eBay
These shanks would have worked perfect with a 3/8" thick bar. I had to grind on the shanks and the bar some to get them to fit perfect. I bought 7 teeth and shanks, as I wasnt sure if I wanted 6 or 7. 6 was the right amount on a 53" bucket. Puts them about 8" or so apart. So I have a spare now I suppose.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I then trimmed the end of the side bars to match the bucket side edge. I cleaned up the cuts and drilled the single 1/2" mounting hole. I was going to cut a slot, but decided against it for now. If it looks like I will need a slotted hole I will make it later. I also ground a bevel on the edge that will be welded to the main bar. This allows the weld to penetrate deeper but requires a few more weld passes.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Then I started on the main bar. It needed marked and then notched for each shank to fit. First pic shows it rough ground out and then smoothed out. Its not much, maybe a 1/16", but I took about that much off the shanks as well. So 3/8" flat bar would have been less work. Lesson learned, I should have remembered that from another build thread I saw where he had the same issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Once all the teeth were fit up I assembled it all onto the bucket and placed a couple 1/8" thick washers behind the end plates to give me a gap to the bucket sides and I tacked the ends on to the main bar. The welds are pretty rough but they arent finished and nothing has been final welded yet. Actually I havent even tacked the shanks on for final fitment yet. Im grinding the cutting edge in it still and that takes a LOT of time being 1/2" plate. So thats pretty much where Im at. Ill finish the cutting edge Friday once Im off night shift and get the shanks tacked on and I will final weld it Saturday. Total time so far, about 2 hours Monday and maybe 4 hours Tuesday. Total price in materials so far, $222.

Attachments

Reactions: farmgirl19 and glc

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Once all the teeth were fit up I assembled it all onto the bucket and placed a couple 1/8" thick washers behind the end plates to give me a gap to the bucket sides and I tacked the ends on to the main bar. The welds are pretty rough but they arent finished and nothing has been final welded yet. Actually I havent even tacked the shanks on for final fitment yet. Im grinding the cutting edge in it still and that takes a LOT of time being 1/2" plate. So thats pretty much where Im at. Ill finish the cutting edge Friday once Im off night shift and get the shanks tacked on and I will final weld it Saturday. Total time so far, about 2 hours Monday and maybe 4 hours Tuesday. Total price in materials so far, $222.

Welcome from another Kansan. Project is looking good. Here is a link to the tooth bar at Iowa Farm Equipment. 52.5" Toothbar,Toothbars:Skidsteers,Loaders:LIFETIME TOOTHBAR W/REPLACEABLE TIPS You are still under the $325 they want for their tooth bar which is very similar to the one you are building, however I suspect yours will be stronger. I have been looking at tooth bars and am unable to decide between the Piranha tooth bar or the Iowa Farm Equipment tooth bar. They are quite different.

Dave

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The piranha tooth bar looks neat. I like that it supports itself under the bucket so well. Both would make a nice tooth bar. I was really just hoping to come in at or under the $325 for a bar like mine. On strength, Im not sure if the bars they sell are hardened or just the teeth and shanks. I really just like building my own stuff, and I know what I have once Im done. What area of Kansas are you from? I see NE, thats my area too. Im about 15 miles from Topeka.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I an in the Overland Park area, about 50 miles from you.

Sent from my Sprint EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk 4

·
Super Moderator
5,643 Posts
Welcome from another Kansan. Project is looking good. Here is a link to the tooth bar at Iowa Farm Equipment. 52.5" Toothbar,Toothbars:Skidsteers,Loaders:LIFETIME TOOTHBAR W/REPLACEABLE TIPS You are still under the $325 they want for their tooth bar which is very similar to the one you are building, however I suspect yours will be stronger. I have been looking at tooth bars and am unable to decide between the Piranha tooth bar or the Iowa Farm Equipment tooth bar. They are quite different.

Dave
My opinion of the Piranha bar,and a "normal" bar compared for digging, I would opt for a normal toothbar. I feel it would dig much better because of having actual teeth that are optimally spaced. Not saying the Piranha wouldn't also,just that the toothbar would probably dig more efficiently.

As for the Iowa toothbar, I'm fairly certain that is the brand I have. It's well made and the shanks fit the bucket edge really well.

My .02:)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I am familiar with that area. Have you decided which style tooth bar you are going to get?

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
It will be a little while before I am ready for the toothbar

Sent from my Sprint EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk 4

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My opinion of the Piranha bar,and a "normal" bar compared for digging, I would opt for a normal toothbar. I feel it would dig much better because of having actual teeth that are optimally spaced. Not saying the Piranha wouldn't also,just that the toothbar would probably dig more efficiently.

As for the Iowa toothbar, I'm fairly certain that is the brand I have. It's well made and the shanks fit the bucket edge really well.

My .02:)
This was also my feeling and why I opted for conventional teeth for building mine. I wont be using it for anything besides breaking ground and leveling some ground out for a garage edition. The Piranha bar looks like it would be good for tearing brush up and weeds and such, but has too many teeth to closely spaced to effectively break ground. Again, just my observation, as I have never used one. Ill get a couple pictures of how well my shanks fit. It really surprised me as to how perfect they do fit the cutting edge and how they should never cause damage with how they are cut at the point.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
These shanks would have worked perfect with a 3/8" thick bar. I had to grind on the shanks and the bar some to get them to fit perfect. I bought 7 teeth and shanks, as I wasnt sure if I wanted 6 or 7. 6 was the right amount on a 53" bucket. Puts them about 8" or so apart. So I have a spare now I suppose.
Jessman,

Nice build! I see you used the same method as me (why make it easy on yourself and use the 3/8" steel, when 1/2" gives you so much extra work :laugh:). And I also found 6 was a good number for my 53" bucket.

I just used mild steel, and I dig up lots of rocks. I don't notice any real wear after probably 60 hours. It will take me 20 years to wear the bar and teeth out.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jessman,

Nice build! I see you used the same method as me (why make it easy on yourself and use the 3/8" steel, when 1/2" gives you so much extra work :laugh:). And I also found 6 was a good number for my 53" bucket.

I just used mild steel, and I dig up lots of rocks. I don't notice any real wear after probably 60 hours. It will take me 20 years to wear the bar and teeth out.
Did you have a build thread on yours somewhere? I know I read one and really thought about using 3/8'', but I decided I needed to put some more hours on my grinder haha. Thats good to hear about the wear. Im hoping to get plenty of hours out of mine using mild steel without any wear issues.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Andy, your thread was the one I was thinking of. Very informative for me for sure. I finished mine today and did some digging. Getting FULL buckets of dirt was easy. Almost wish I had the larger bucket to dig faster.

Reactions: andy b.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the bar all finished up. I had a buddy TIG the shanks on since my welder doesnt have enough power in my opinion to get the amount of penetration needed for the thicker material. He welded them on at the 200 Amp setting, and they turned out really nice. I took a couple pictures of it painted but they didnt turn out very well so I wont post them.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And one with some dirt on it! Im really impressed with the difference it made for digging. It breaks up the ground now easy and I dug a fairly large hole in just a few minutes to try it out. It fits great and works awesome.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts