Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have some digging to do out of the side of a hill and some regrading to do around the addition on my shop so a tooth bar was in order. I thought I would share how simple this is, even for a carpenter.

I bought some 4" x 3/8" strap cut to length with a little bit of play plus the two side mount lugs cut to 8". I was going to use some scrap I had kicking around but this was easier.
TB (1).JPG

I ground off a little bit of an angle to fit a little better on the shanks that I bought.
TB (5).JPG

I cut an angle on the mounting lugs to fit the bucket, drilled the mounting holes into the lugs, then jigged them up to tack together.
TB (8).JPG TB (10).JPG TB (11).JPG

Cleaned up all the weld areas and tacked the shanks on in place on the bucket.
TB (20).JPG TB (28).JPG

Welded up the sides of the shanks, took the bar off to weld the undersides and top end of the shanks. This maxed out my Millermatic 180 for sure, tripped the breaker a few times. When I put it back on I had to ream out the mounting holes a little because of it moving a lot from the welding heat.
TB (29).JPG

Slipped on the points (teeth) and drove in the pins that hold them on and voila, one tooth bar.
TB (48).JPG TB (57).JPG

Out for a quick test dig. I love this tool, it digs so good in the ground I have.
TB (65).JPG

And this is a shot of the 1026R bucket smiling and showing her teeth after a good dig.
TB (70).JPG

Shanks, points, and pins about $255.00 plus the steel at about $55.00 plus welding wire. Just over $300.00 all in. The local farm store wanted $800.00 to have one built, my JD dealer didn't think it was possible because he didn't see teeth as a part for the 1026R on the computer, (if they can't see it on the screen it doesn't exist).

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Just what the bucket needed. It is beautiful. :thumbup1gif:

Nice job!

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Mmmmmm beefy.

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I've put this tooth bar through the paces tonight digging out a stump. I have to say for as rough as my welds look, they are pretty strong. In digging out the stump and roots I put all the force I could on the teeth and nothing snapped, so :yahoo:.

TB (78).JPG

·
Old Pa-pa
11,403 Posts
Impressive, good job!:good2:

Making notes and saving pics.:hi:

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Very nice work. Making something like that tooth bar is not hard. It just takes some mechanical skills they you have bring a carpenter.
I enjoy seeing project like this come to life. The enjoyment of using it for years to come is priceless.
I had built a Rock bucket with a grapple and every time I look at it. It was worth the effort.
Again very nice work, enjoy it. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very nice work!

Where'd you source the teeth and shanks?
I got them at a local McCormick / Case dealer through the parts desk. I see them online in the US for a lot cheaper, it's that Canadian $ thing.

These are the part numbers:

Weld on shank
230-J-1

Pins
245466A1

·
Premium Member
7,883 Posts
Great Job! :bigthumb:

I was thinking about a Piranha tooth bar.... But you reminded me of how much fun it is to "make my own"...

Just not going to happen while it is 90+ degrees with 70%+ humidity. :banghead:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Great Job! :bigthumb:

I was thinking about a Piranha tooth bar.... But you reminded me of how much fun it is to "make my own"...

Just not going to happen while it is 90+ degrees with 70%+ humidity. :banghead:
That just means the A/C has to run a little longer,,,, :dunno:

:lolol:

·
Premium Member
14,082 Posts
Nice looking tooth bar.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Carvel Loafer......very nice job! Somewhere else you wrote that you recently turned 500 hours on your tractor. I think your latest project is going to find you excuses for putting a lot more hours on her.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Most excellent project Carvel Loafer,

I think that is going to be my next project as I have no interest in spending an extra 35 cents on the dollar to shop south of the border.

·
Premium Member
7,883 Posts
Most excellent project Carvel Loafer,

I think that is going to be my next project as I have no interest in spending an extra 35 cents on the dollar to shop south of the border.
Given that our dollar isn't worth squat, that sucks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts