Green Tractor Talk banner

Tooth Bar vs Other

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Gizmo2 
#1 ·
using the front loader which is better to cut into hard pack soil with stone...the tooth bar or other, etc, Piranha cutting bar????

#2 ·
which is better to cut into hard pack soil with stone
IMHO, a toothbar will work the best.

#7 ·
I own a Piranha tooth bar and I love it. Besides the fact it works well for clearing out brush and small saplings, I will say from personal experience the Pirhana works very well for popping rocks and stumps out of the ground. My soil is a bit on the loose and sandy style. I can't say how well it would work in something real hard such as red clay. I haven't tried that yet. I think in your case you may want to try the standard tooth bar design if you are trying to dig in soil that is very hard like you described. I think it will penetrate the ground a bit easier.

#8 ·
A toothbar. Just remember a loader is a loader, not a bulldozer. It is meant to load. It will dig some, if you are sensible and careful. Tractor weight will be important when digging in hard pack.

I have the bolt on type toothbar, two bolts/nuts. On and Off in a minute or two. I like it a lot for brush and rocks/brick too. It extents your bucket's capacity by several inches on some materials. Great for grabbing small trees and ripping them out of the ground. One of the best, low cost tools you can add.

#9 ·
I dug this hole for burning brush in in about an hour and a half with a conventional toothbar I built. It works great. My ground isnt necessarily hard but it was clay after the first 18". I would say it would work for rocky hard ground too if you take your time with it and dont get in a hurry.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.