·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
I voted based on what I own.

Each design has different strengths IMO.

Either will give you better performance.

Where I use mine I am dealing with roots and brush.

I would thing that the traditional "tooth" would work better in hard and/or rocky ground.

My P-Bar does a good job.

·
Registered
12,511 Posts
:dunno:if i ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,had OC's money:gizmo:i'dl vote to have both different kind of tooth bars-:lol:

but for me i have to say i love my tooth bar. :laugh:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ray I had the Heavy Hitch version and it was a beast. What I liked about it was the tooth length and spacing. You could easily control how deep you wanted to dig. I was able to skim topsoil to widening a storm swell. Just remember to crank the bolts down with a large crescent wrench. You don’t want it to fall off and then drive over it. Yikes!!! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Nailed it

I would thing that the traditional "tooth" would work better in hard and/or rocky ground.

You nailed it. I also bought the Piranha bar and really like it but if I was just digging I would get a traditional tooth bar. It just depends on what your primary needs are.

Treefarmer

·
Super Moderator
5,214 Posts

This is exactly my line of thought. I think the Piranha bar is a better design for cutting through brush and roots. If I was doing most of my working in wide-open fields and just concerned with rocks I probably would have gone with something with a more traditional tooth.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I went with the WR Long Flat tooth bar. I can dig and still plow with it. I wanted the most versatile one I could find. The piranha has too many sharp edges for me. I don't have much brush to cut anymore and with my new tripping and falling skills and a very young nephew I didn't want to take a chance on someone getting cut. If I was just digging all the time I would have gone the traditional way and got the HH. You have to decide what is best for you.. :) here is a pic of mine

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,091 Posts
Piranha Bar has been very effective in my wooded lot. 54" on a 2025r.
My vote also although from reviews and comments here I believe both are good and would work well for anyone.

Piranha Bar.JPG

Don't forget Ken's Bolt On Hooks . . .

Marlin :cowboy:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
I went with the WR Long Flat tooth bar. :) here is a pic of mine
Like everyone else it depends on what you want to use it for. I went with the BX Expanded piranha bar. The main reasons were...
1-It protects the cutting edge of the bucket.
2-The way it bolts on the bucket.
3-You can back drag without ridges being made by it.
4-It seems to grab bushes and vines when wanting to clear them out along the whole length of it.
5-Easy to clean.
6-Stays pretty sharp.
7-No teeth to lose.

All that being said I wouldn't mind having the WR that wentonbrown got. It looks like it would do most everything I mentioned only it has teeth for digging in rocky ground. And I have rocky ground. What I like about it over the HH is the same reason as the first 2 reasons I mentioned above. For that reason you should have added that to the list.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Made my own, similar to a WR Long style. I made my own, since I had the metal and bought the teeth off of eBay. I've been extremely happy with it, but have been only been doing dirt work/digging.

·
Premium Member
13,673 Posts
This is an interesting thread as I too am in the same market and have also been looking mostly at these two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Curious if bolt holes for Piranha and WR are similar enough that bars could be swapped on same bucket. Anyone know?
Not sure but from the pics of both on buckets it sure looks like you could swap them

·
Administrator
18,343 Posts
Curious if bolt holes for Piranha and WR are similar enough that bars could be swapped on same bucket. Anyone know?
Harry at BXpanded, and/or Nelson at WR Long may know the answer.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Pics of when I first put the bar on. I had MMM on so I didn't get crazy until I took it off and put my step back on. Then I built a little road up to my old pistol backstop that I took down. Carried the logs back to the big backstop. I have a lot of clay and rocks. Wish I would have bought this bar years ago when I first bought Betsy.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Like everyone else it depends on what you want to use it for. I went with the BX Expanded piranha bar. The main reasons were...
1-It protects the cutting edge of the bucket.
2-The way it bolts on the bucket.
3-You can back drag without ridges being made by it.
4-It seems to grab bushes and vines when wanting to clear them out along the whole length of it.
5-Easy to clean.
6-Stays pretty sharp.
7-No teeth to lose.

All that being said I wouldn't mind having the WR that wentonbrown got. It looks like it would do most everything I mentioned only it has teeth for digging in rocky ground. And I have rocky ground. What I like about it over the HH is the same reason as the first 2 reasons I mentioned above. For that reason you should have added that to the list.
The key point to me is what Levi said, you can back drag with bucket level and it leaves no tooth furrows. Unlike traditional teeth.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
Not sure but from the pics of both on buckets it sure looks like you could swap them
Harry at BXpanded, and/or Nelson at WR Long may know the answer.
Would be great if they did so all a person had to do was remove 2 bolts and make a swap to have the best of both worlds. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
13,673 Posts
Would be great if they did so all a person had to do was remove 2 bolts and make a swap to have the best of both worlds. :bigthumb:
But if that's the case you could also go with the HH and BXpanded since the HH doesn't require drilling. Then you can have a lot of money tied up in tooth bars though. I've been leaning towards the BXpanded because of the back dragging people have mentioned.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts