Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the Heavy Hitch Toothbar last week and delivery is set for Tuesday. I have a few Projects I want to use to compare the toothbar and the raw bucket edge:

1. I have all slopes on the property. I need to level off some areas for trails and laydown space. Cutting into the side of the hill will be my first test.

2. I always need dirt somewhere. A straight cut into the grass to get at the dirt below will be another.

3. I have several persistent potholes in the gravel drive. I need to dig them out, slope to drain, then regrade. Hoping the teeth will be more effective than of course the bucket but also the scarifiers on the boxblade.

4. I have a lot of heavy brush and saplings. I am going to see how the split teeth do on brush clearing.

Looking forward to playing with this thing. Any additional trials I can do for comparisons?

·
Registered
272 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well my trial is not going well. Toothbar arrived as promised, packed well, looked great coming out of the box. It's heavy, but not beyond my capabilities. Raised the bucket, curled it back, toothbar slid on like butter.....except it's too big! I now know I have a 49" bucket and not a 53".

The Salesman told me more than once about the virtues of MY 53" bucket at delivery. I fell for it I guess and never even thought to check the measurement. Kinda embarrassing. Looked on the paperwork from 2 years ago and nothing about a 53" upgrade.

Got an email from Greg at Heavy Hitch before I even got inside confirming delivery. Called them and groveled with my tale. Great guy. I'll get this one shipped out this week and he's sending the proper size.

What was that about measure twice......

IMG_0066.JPG IMG_0069.jpg IMG_0070.jpg

·
Administrator
20,958 Posts
Greg is a pretty good fella. :thumbup1gif: His customer service has been more than outstanding. His customers will attest to it. :good2:

·
Premium Member
10,099 Posts
I'd call your salesman and ask him where your 53" bucket was!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My wife talked me into modifying the 53" toothbar to fit my 49" bucket. I cut the center tooth out and will be re-welding it back in later. I put the 2 pieces side pieces on to give it a try. VERY easy install. Drop it on the edge, tighten the allen screws, done.

I didn't have my phone/camera with me, but this thing is awesome. I will do some formal pics and maybe video this weekend.

Initial digging. Just no comparison. The split teeth dig right in and splay out the dirt. By the time the edge gets down to the dirt, it is loosened. It just keeps going into the dirt until the bucket is full. Performs much better than I expected. I think the split point contributes much to the performance.

Pothole removal. Using the teeth down about an inch into the gravel while back-dragging loosens up the gravel and dust around the hole and provides fill when leveling it over. I just used the bucket to level out the area. I'll do more work with it this weekend.

By the way, the teeth do stick down below the bucket edge, but I use the bucket curled up and utilize the back of the bucket when I drag smooth. Not as good as a Box Blade, but the technique is better than feathering the bucket edge when curled down.

Very impressed with the workmanship and quality of the unit.

IMG_0072.jpg IMG_0073.jpg

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I installed the tooth bar back in April and haven't removed it until today. Observations:

1. If you want to dig, this is the ticket. The split teeth apply a lot of pressure and with a little giggling, I can dig into hard, dry clay. Now it doesn't dig to China when dry and hard, but it does cut into the ground. Limiting factor is traction. I've been able to dig areas getting down 2-3 inches. Back up and do it again.

2. In soft soil, it does go to China. Bouncing the bucket and it will go straight down. Again, traction limits what they can do.

3. Night and day difference when scooping up a bucket of 6-12" rocks from a pile. the wedge shape pushes the rocks around allowing the bucket to get a full scoop the first plunge in. My straight edge took3-4 plunges and even then I could not fill the bucket.

4. Forward or back dragging down the drive with the teeth down does a fantastic job breaking up the driveway gravel. Actually much better than the scarifiers on the box blade. I only have three on mine and with the Heavy Hitch split teeth, I get 12 ares I am turning over.

5.Keep the allen-head set screws lubed. It took me a half an hour with Blaster and a 1/2" impact to get them off. Thought about spraying them many times, just never did it. Properly lubed they would take 2 minutes to install or remove.

A really awesome addition. Now I haven't cleared brush or cut down saplings with them. If that's your need, the Piranha bar might be a better bet. But for actual digging virgin ground or plunging in a pile, these can't be beat.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I had a hard time deciding on which tooth bar to purchase. I ultimately with the piranha but maybe we should swap for a week so we can compare between the two.:laugh: I like like the teeth on the heavy hitch tooth bar and bet it does in fact dig great! It's good to hear you are happy with your purchase :cheers:

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
5.Keep the allen-head set screws lubed. It took me a half an hour with Blaster and a 1/2" impact to get them off. Thought about spraying them many times, just never did it. Properly lubed they would take 2 minutes to install or remove.
Sounds like a little dab of Anti-Seize would do the trick.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Sounds like a little dab of Anti-Seize would do the trick.
Yes, as long as they are lubricated, they work fine. In fact they work very well. If not, they get rusty and are not pleasant to deal with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts