Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here on Puget Sound, I have mostly wet clay soils with glacially-deposited round "river rocks" strewn within. Think fist-sized to basketball-sized round rocks in silty soil and clay. Noting like east coast rocks - these are simply suspended in the soil. I also have a number of seasonal wetlands on the property - knee deep muck in winter - and other areas that dry out and can become quite hardened clay in summer.

Much of the initial "taming" I need to do with the tractor involves removal of Himalayan Blackberries. For those who aren't familiar with this species, they are invasive cane producing blackberries not unlike those you might plant but that can become impenetrable thickets 10 ft tall and quite wide and deep. Removing the vegetation above ground is useless - you absolutely have to pull out the root system which is relatively shallow but tenaciously rooted in baseball-sized rhizome clumps. If you simply cut off the canes at the surface, it will all come back two-fold. Beside that, I have only general dirt loader work that isn't that demanding or necessarily in need of an aggressive implement -- bark/mulch, gravel, some light excavating.

I was moving toward the Piranha tooth bar due to it's overwhelmingly positive reviews but am hesitating because I don't know what those who love this bar do with it. I read lots of posts about slicing off and uprooting saplings and such but I don't know if it would be the right tool to get those root balls vs, say, the HH toothbar.

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has experience using the Piranha or the HH tooth bar for blackberries specifically or might be able to offer educated speculation if they don't.

The Piranha looks awesome but I don't know how well it would pull-up and sift out these blackberry roots which is an important function.

Thanks up front - I appreciate it.

Eric

Premium Member
I would think that i would go with the hh in your situation. I live in pa and i have rock to as i live on the side of the mountain that was also a old river bed. I would have gotten a hh but i went with a wr long. For grading purposes. I can dig in my clay with it and still back drag with no tooth marks. Why i wanted it. It handles most of what i throw at it. There have only been a few times I wanted sharper teeth just because the soil was harder than most. The tooth design isnt as aggressive as a hh or piranhas.

If i was digging lots of just roots then i would think the piranhas is the way to go.. I read a lot of threads on here about them n most guys love the root cutting they do. Not really much about rocks like you have.

Dont know if this helps? Any bar is better than none at times. I ran heavy equipment for many years and we always had teeth like the hh. It worked well for everything.

Good luck!
WB 馃殰馃嚭馃嚥

Premium Member
2014 1025r SCUT
Here on Puget Sound, I have mostly wet clay soils with glacially-deposited round "river rocks" strewn within. Think fist-sized to basketball-sized round rocks in silty soil and clay. Noting like east coast rocks - these are simply suspended in the soil. I also have a number of seasonal wetlands on the property - knee deep muck in winter - and other areas that dry out and can become quite hardened clay in summer.

Much of the initial "taming" I need to do with the tractor involves removal of Himalayan Blackberries. For those who aren't familiar with this species, they are invasive cane producing blackberries not unlike those you might plant but that can become impenetrable thickets 10 ft tall and quite wide and deep. Removing the vegetation above ground is useless - you absolutely have to pull out the root system which is relatively shallow but tenaciously rooted in baseball-sized rhizome clumps. If you simply cut off the canes at the surface, it will all come back two-fold. Beside that, I have only general dirt loader work that isn't that demanding or necessarily in need of an aggressive implement -- bark/mulch, gravel, some light excavating.

I was moving toward the Piranha tooth bar due to it's overwhelmingly positive reviews but am hesitating because I don't know what those who love this bar do with it. I read lots of posts about slicing off and uprooting saplings and such but I don't know if it would be the right tool to get those root balls vs, say, the HH toothbar.

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has experience using the Piranha or the HH tooth bar for blackberries specifically or might be able to offer educated speculation if they don't.

The Piranha looks awesome but I don't know how well it would pull-up and sift out these blackberry roots which is an important function.

Thanks up front - I appreciate it.

Eric
I also live on South Puget Sound and have the HH Toothbar. I've used it a few times..... good results. Loaned it to a friend and she was unimpressed. So it depends on you. I have the BX Panda Backhoe Ripper which I have used effectively against The Himalayan Blackberries and tree roots. I also have a thumb for my backhoe. As I rip the roots up I also use the thumb to pull them out of the clay. Hope this helps.

Registered
If you want the bush roots and all then you have options;

1. A heavy hitch tooth bar
2. A stump bucket
3. A grapple.

For me it would be my grapple.

Say goodbye brush and bushes.

Registered
I wanted to remove the stump from a tree that came down in a storm. So it was half out of the ground but still had several large roots firmly planted in the ground. My plan was to loosen it up with my 1025R and HH tooth bar then wrap a chain around it and drag it away. Then I realized I had a good bite on it and I was able to lift it and drive it away.

Registered
I live in red clay country, part of the year it is a sticky heavy mess, the other part it is hard as rock. I have the HH toothbar, actually still learning it. I have found it to be very effective with small brush. I don't have many rocks, but I would assume it would be effective on them since the longer teeth would allow you to get under them and pry them up. I have never used the piranha, so don't have a good comparison. Anyone would give you an advantage over the straight bucket.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Treefarmer

Registered
I have the Heavy Hitch tooth bar. I have found it鈥檚 best use is for carrying stuff like logs and lumber. it really didn鈥檛 help my 1026r dig much better. The 1026, is just too light to make use out of those big teeth. I have found when I need to scrape or dig in hard ground with the loader, it鈥檚 best to go over it with my tiller first.

Registered
A box blade with the rippers all the way down is also a good way to loosen things up and make it easier to dig.

Super Moderator
I have the Piranha tooth bar. It shines at pulling up saplings and is better than teh bucket's straight edge when it comes to digging but I think an actual tooth bar would be much better for digging. But just based on your description of the root systems you want to dig out, I'd think you'd be better off with a rock bucket than a tooth bar.

Premium Member
It depends how deep the root ball is in the soil. If it can only be removed by digging, then longer teeth are going to be helpful. If you can score the soil surface and catch the root ball in the piranha bar teeth to pull it, then it would do just fine at getting the roots out.

I would say if the black berry root ball is less than 2" below the surface, then the Piranha bar would likely get the job done. Nice thing about the piranha bar is you can use it for so many other uses on the bucket and it doesn't get in the way, where the long tooth bars might or will. That means most who install it on the bucket leave it on the bucket regardless of the task being completed with the bucket.

Its definitely good at protecting the bucket edge from end to end, which you won't get with space between the teeth. If rocks can get between the teeth when digging and get wedged between the longer teeth, it might become an impediment to using it the way you intend. Only you can make these judgements because you know the soil, the rocks sizes and depths and the black berry root ball depths and sizes.

Like many things and as one person stated, much depends upon the machine operator. Some people seem to have a knack for operating equipment efficiently and some don't. In those cases, one doesn't know until they try. And regardless of which tooth or bar type you go with, its going to take some practice and trying different approaches to get proficient with the tool.

Reactions: Treefarmer

Registered
Any tooth bar will provide a sizeable improvement in ground engaging tasks. I tried both and prefer the piranha. The primary reason is that I can use edge tamers without ever having to remove it. Not having to ever remove it, makes like easier without the need for tools or trips back to the garage to get the tooth bar. Everyone's needs and usage varies. Jut my experiences at play.

The edge tamers are a great product and a must have as well...great for all sorts of tasks, ala snow removal, scooping rocks, topsoil, mulch without destroying the grass, etc.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really appreciate the great responses! All of these posts are really helpful with directing my thoughts on this need.

Blackberry root balls while shallow (just an inch or two below the surface), are very well rooted similar to some shrubs. They can be sparsely or densley distributed. Part of me thinks that the individual tooth models of bars would dig under them better but in my experience, if your tool (tooth) isn't exactly in the right spot, they just flop to one side. I think I'd just end up digging up the whole area.

The Piranha bar may work better for getting down 2 - 3 inches and popping them up given the more continuous edge. Clearly I'm just speculating and will have to experiment. I will have a BH with thumb so "plucking" bigger roots is do-able by those means.

I'm also leaning toward the Piranha in that if it doesn't work well for my needs, I can unload it pretty easily as they're so popular.

I also like the idea of a less aggressively-toothed bar when doing other things like general scooping around areas I don't want to gouge and impact with big teeth. I will be getting edge tamers anyway and they can be used with the Piranha so that's a consideration too.

Anyway....I continue to mull...

I appreciate everyone's input and hope this is helpful to others.

Registered
I'm near Granite Falls, and I've almost eradicated the Himalayan blackberries off of my property. The only ones left are easily cut back to ground with my weedeater. I've also sifted rock out of my two little pastures, and for both the blackberries and the rocks, I used the Redline rock bucket. I also used it last week to peel up sod and shake the dirt off. But for blackberries, it's nice because the larger crowns will get wedged between the teeth and it will pull the whole thing up. I've got 2" spacing on mine, it's worth a look.

I also cut some expanded steel to fit so I can sift finer if I want, but it takes a whole lot of shaking to do that.

It also back drags beautifully, and is great for loosening virgin ground.

Here's a before and after:

Registered
After reading through the posts, I'm sure you realize just about everyone loves the tooth bar they have and thinks it would work for your application. Bottom line...own a tooth bar and it will help.

Personally, I chose the Heavy Hitch. Do I think it will work for you, yes. Why, I think the separate teeth will be great for getting into the plants, let them wrap around and help pull them, plus will help you get at their roots.

Good luck

Registered
I have the Heavy Hitch toothbar and it works well on the blackberries. I found mu 5 foot TSC landscape rake pulls them out well roots and all. It's faster and tears up less ground than the bucket. It grabs the canes and just pulls them out.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Registered
Another option with heavy hitch bar is that you can wrap chain around the teeth and the immovable object and apply unstoppable force to get it out. :cool:

My 1 series tractor identifies as a 40HP machine.....馃榿

Registered
I have an EA (Everything Attachments) tooth bar on order, sort of a piranha on steroids, harder steel material and more serrated cutting edges. Since it's on order I can't provide any feedback yet, but I'm surprised that option hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet. Like others mentioned pretty much any tooth bar will greatly help, and results will vary depending upon operator and soil conditions.

Registered
1023e, pallet forks and a box blade for now...
A lot of great responses for ya here. I chose the PTB for the work I needed now and I really like it vs the bare bucket. I will eventually make a HH style or buy one when I clear out my lower field full of marsh stuff.

Registered
I have an EA (Everything Attachments) tooth bar on order, sort of a piranha on steroids, harder steel material and more serrated cutting edges. Since it's on order I can't provide any feedback yet, but I'm surprised that option hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet. Like others mentioned pretty much any tooth bar will greatly help, and results will vary depending upon operator and soil conditions.
See post #6 for the Wicked and other recommendations.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts