Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a major project of top dressing a multi-acre park with compost. The thought process was to use my Cosmo 3-Point Rotary Spreader. I am curious if anyone has tried this. My initial thoughts are that in theory it should work provided the compost is somewhat dry and does not contain debris larger than my openings. I fear that if it is wet then it will most definitely plug the holes.

Just for clarification this is what I have:
Product

There are services that will deliver and spread, but the cost is prohibitive for our funding stream.

Thoughts? Anyone tried it?

Reactions: TJR345

·
Registered
26,806 Posts
It's always worth a try I guess. Like you said the compost would have to be dry. I would set up a screen - screen it all to a certain size so you shouldn't have any clogs.

Something like this bit built to the size you need.

Table Furniture Outdoor table Wood Outdoor furniture

Another thought would be to use a manure spreader.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
I'm interested to learn about your results, I've considered doing the same thing on my yard, but have not had the time to give it a whirl.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's always worth a try I guess. Like you said the compost would have to be dry. I would set up a screen - screen it all to a certain size so you shouldn't have any clogs.

Something like this bit built to the size you need.

View attachment 395377

Another thought would be to use a manure spreader.
Neat idea, however we estimate 2500 cubic yards are needed.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
I've done it.Last year we had a dry summer,it wasn't till August till rain was being predicted.Our local compost plant has a sifted compost that the larger wood pieces are removed and it's more of a dirt like consistency.I bought a couple of yards to try spreading it in the lawn to help it recover from the heat stress.I used a 3pt pto spreader to put it down.The problem I had was their was enough moisture in it to plug the end.I think the regular compost would've flowed better even with the bigger pieces they wouldn't have plugged the outlet.I used a stick reaching back to keep it loose.
In the end the results were great and the grass really greened up.First pic is the heat stressed grass second is after a couple of rains.

Attachments

·
Registered
26,806 Posts
Oh - I didn't know we were talking about commercially available screened compost. When I think of compost I think of my own pile out back.

Reactions: TJR345

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Oh - I didn't know we were talking about commercially available screened compost. When I think of compost I think of my own pile out back.
He's doing a multi acre park area.That would take a big pile at home,and I don't think the neighbors would be happy.:lol:

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Neat idea, however we estimate 2500 cubic yards are needed.
2500 cubic yards ... isn't that like 200+ dump trucks full? I can't estimate how much you really need, but even if that "little" spreader works, how long will it take to spread that much compost?

Sorry I can't offer any suggestions, I have no experience with spreading compost, especially over several acres.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes it is about 250 truck loads. I don't plan to spread the entire thing with the rotary spreader, but there are areas that need more sensitive coverage than a dump truck being driven through it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
With the volume being considered you may want to speak with a local golf course and see if they might rent a real top dresser to you. Most courses are picky about equipment, but it tends to sit unused much of the year. Speak with the ground superintendent and ask. If they don't themselves they may know of another course that might. Fair amount of sharing goes on. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
With the volume being considered you may want to speak with a local golf course and see if they might rent a real top dresser to you. Most courses are picky about equipment, but it tends to sit unused much of the year. Speak with the ground superintendent and ask. If they don't themselves they may know of another course that might. Fair amount of sharing goes on. Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts