Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The biggest problem with my HF quick hitch is the top hook. I saw what I think I need in another thread about how to modify one by welding another piece of steel onto the back of it and drilling some new mount holes. I wanted to try this but didn't have any suitable steel. Then the other day I found this on Amazon.

Top Hook For Quick Hitch

Not much info about it, but the picture looked like what I needed and the "HF" in the part number seemed to indicate that, so I ordered one.

It showed up late today, and looks good. Here are some pics of mine and this new one.

New_Hook.jpg

SAM_0124.jpg

I won't be able to really check it out for a few days, but hopefully this will cure some of the problems.

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
yes-i do believe it will do the trick! what others had done, was to grind the inside front down, to allow for the same thing. but now-u wouldn't have to have a thinner front part of the hook. somebody is gonna make a fortune off of them things. way to go finding it.:bigthumb:

·
Corndog Hater
11,688 Posts
Thanks for posting this, and please do keep us posted on how it works for you.:good2:

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The biggest problem with my HF quick hitch is the top hook. I saw what I think I need in another thread about how to modify one by welding another piece of steel onto the back of it and drilling some new mount holes. I wanted to try this but didn't have any suitable steel. Then the other day I found this on Amazon.

Top Hook For Quick Hitch

Not much info about it, but the picture looked like what I needed and the "HF" in the part number seemed to indicate that, so I ordered one.

It showed up late today, and looks good. Here are some pics of mine and this new one.

View attachment 308089

View attachment 308097

I won't be able to really check it out for a few days, but hopefully this will cure some of the problems.

God find. It should work. I had the same problem with mine. I found the sweet spot for all my attachments, removed the mounting bolts and welded the thing in place. Problem solved. The problem with the HF quick hitch is the attachments cannot go on due to the location of the bolts. The one you found allows the hook section to be moved out beyond the bolts, so it should work good.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,474 Posts
Thanks for posting this, and please do keep us posted on how it works for you.:good2:
X2 :thumbup1gif:
I assume you would not need the top bushings on the implement any longer?
It's a Cat 1 vs Cat 3?

·
Corndog Hater
11,688 Posts
It's a Cat 1 vs Cat 3?
The sticker in the pic says Cat 1:unknown:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
That's a nice find

I'm sure a little tuning up can make a harbor freight hitch work fine.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a Cat 1 vs Cat 3?
Just laying one on top of the other looks like the opening at the bottom is the same so I assume it will still use the same bushing as the other, Cat 1 to Cat 3. Main thing I needed was the extra set-back 'cause some implements would hit the QH frame not allowing it to seat in the hook. But there's always Murphy's law... :laugh:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Interesting... But with shipping, it's about half the price I paid for the quick hitch... Yikes.
Custom work usually costs more than "freight container" items.

I could make that part,, I would charge the coupon discounted price of the HF QH.

He is not making his fortune,, if you want one,,, G R A B it,,
I doubt he will be offering it long for that discount price,,, :flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
212 Posts

Top Hook For Quick Hitch

View attachment 308089

View attachment 308097

That is the item I was looking for...but then I had my brother make the one in the other thread. He said it would have been like 40 per so the 22 is a great price. Let us know how it works.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like the same thing as the one I bought but an even better price. Never fails after I buy something. :laugh:

I got to spend a little time this afternoon checking mine out. It's a tad thicker than the HF one, it measures about 1.27" and the HF one is about 1.17" thick. I couldn't tell by just looking at them but it's enough difference that the new one wouldn't go into my QH. I ground the new one down to around 1.2" to get it to fit.

Other than that, so far it looks good. Won't know for sure until I try to hook it up to something but I'm cautiously optimistic.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I just had some 1.25 inch stock welded to the back of my hook and new holes drilled yesterday. Cost me $30.00 I wish I had seen this post Tuesday. It does work perfectly though.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I just had some 1.25 inch stock welded to the back of my hook and new holes drilled yesterday. Cost me $30.00 I wish I had seen this post Tuesday. It does work perfectly though.

Well,, I ordered one,, from QFS,,, the $15 hook ended up costing me,,, $100!! :flag_of_truce:

by the time I added all the things I was hoping to pick up at Tractor Supply,,, I broke 3 figures!

PLUS,, EVERY item I ended up adding was about 1/2 the price that Tractor Supply wanted :yahoo:

Shopping at QFS was fun,, we will see how long delivery takes,,,:dunno:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well,, I ordered one,, from QFS,,, the $15 hook ended up costing me,,, $100!! :flag_of_truce:

by the time I added all the things I was hoping to pick up at Tractor Supply,,, I broke 3 figures!

PLUS,, EVERY item I ended up adding was about 1/2 the price that Tractor Supply wanted :yahoo:

Shopping at QFS was fun,, we will see how long delivery takes,,,:dunno:
Good to know, thanks, I will be keeping QFS in mind in the future.

I also found another place online recently when looking for parts for a PTO shaft build for another project, and they were about half the price of TSC for the same brand (Weasler) parts. Their shipping wasn't real cheap but it was fast, they actually did a real Fedex shipment, where a real Fedex truck brought it to my house instead of to the post office. :laugh:

This place was Home - PaulB Parts - Ag, Industrial, and Mechanical Supply

·
Registered
837 Posts
Thanks cadplans for the link, I can already tell I will be spending a lot of money there.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Thanks cadplans for the link, I can already tell I will be spending a lot of money there.
I got an email,,, a FedEx Ground label has been printed,,, WOOT!! :yahoo:

:laugh:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I got an email,,, a FedEx Ground label has been printed,,, WOOT!! :yahoo:

:laugh:
My $91 order ($100 with shipping) arrived today,, all is perfect.

The hook has a Speeco label on it,,,
as expected, most everything else is made in India.

The box was a double box, well taped,
and considering the weight, arrived in good shape,, (some minor abbrasions, no breaks)
they used LOTS of tape.

The box was long, because one of the items I ordered was a CAT I, 7 hole 3PT drawbar.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts