Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, first post, first time tractor owner as of a month ago.

I purchased a new 1025R TLB w/60D MMM, RT3049, speeco e-hitch, titan drawbar suitcase weight bracket w/ 2" receiver hitch, plus a bunch of stuff from mudd's customs, and BXpanded.

My Problem: My RT3049 tiller came with a Cat1 to Cat3 toplink bushing that is 2.75" long (ID 3/4", OD 1-1/4"). I need another one of these but 2" long. From what I can see here in the forums and from searching online is that I would have to buy a cat1 to 2, and a cat 2 to 3 bushing and put one inside the other. Obviously there are Cat 1 to Cat 3 bushings out there if my rototiller came with one. Why can't I find any more to buy? If I have to use 2 bushings nested in one another the OCD side of me is going to drive me crazy every time I look at it and know that there are 2 parts where there should be 1. Can someone tell me where I can get these? even if it's the same one that came with my tiller and I have to cut it down.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
40,804 Posts
If I have to use 2 bushings nested in one another the OCD side of me is going to drive me crazy every time I look at it and know that there are 2 parts where there should be 1. Can someone tell me where I can get these? even if it's the same one that came with my tiller and I have to cut it down.
I can not but OCD in me says the problem is the speeco e-hitch and the need for a bushing to begin with.
I'd search for a standard bushing with the correct dimensions, without using the term "Cat"

Reactions: driveshaft

·
Administrator
20,314 Posts
It is almost impossible to find a single TL bushing that goes for CAT1 to CAT3. The 'one inside the other' is just normal practice.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
It is almost impossible to find a single TL bushing that goes for CAT1 to CAT3. The 'one inside the other' is just normal practice.
^^^^ This. I've never seen a single top-link bushing either. Every one of my quick hitch implements has the one-inside-the-other as Kenny said.

EXCEPT... some implements have a pre-installed quick hitch compatible top-link "bushing" installed at the factory. It's not really a bushing but more like a bolted-on pin. A lot of Frontier implements are set up like this.

This isn't the best angle but I think you get the idea on my LR5060 landscape rake below.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Two bushings and a little epoxy or tack weld would work just fine. No worries about losing one bushing or the other if they are glued together, lol.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Have you checked the JD parts catalog for that tiller for the bushing?
Another option would be to just drill out your top link holes to the Cat 3 size anduse a bigger pin.

·
Premium Member
Tator
15,738 Posts
I think you need to see a therapist for your OCD. For me that's my tractor, just get on and start tractoring and I'm sure in time you'll forget about it.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Have you checked the JD parts catalog for that tiller for the bushing?
Another option would be to just drill out your top link holes to the Cat 3 size anduse a bigger pin.
That tiller has a similar setup as my Frontier landscape rake. Some folks have used an appropriately sized chuck of pipe for these bushings. A section of pipe will provide a lifetime supply of bushings. :)

Reactions: PJR832 and MTB98

·
Registered
485 Posts
To solve the “correct size” top link bushing problem why not do like I did and go to a steel supply outlet and buy thick wall steel tubing in the sizes you need ...
I bought some in assorted sizes and made all my bushings for both top link and lower, for not much money 💰
Just needed to cut the tubing to the correct length... problem solved
B0A9E823-A9F1-40FC-894C-1674D46D426A.jpeg
D63894F3-18AB-43BC-8878-290947CE5FB4.jpeg

·
Registered
523 Posts
Two bushings and a little epoxy or tack weld would work just fine. No worries about losing one bushing or the other if they are glued together, lol.

Treefarmer
No worries about losing them because it's a snug fit and the pin goes through both. My 1 to 2 bushing fit inside the 2 to 3 perfectly and then both slip into the top mount just fine on most of my stuff. I recall having to tap them a bit on my rear hitch as it's slightly too narrow. I have the 1 15/16" bushings and most newer attachments are right at 2" wide at that point in my experience. Sometimes it's just heavy paint in the way. I bought the bushings in packs of six I think it was for like $1 each.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think you need to see a therapist for your OCD. For me that's my tractor, just get on and start tractoring and I'm sure in time you'll forget about it.
You have a point, although my lazy side and my OCD side are at odds right now. My lazy side may win out resulting in two nested bushings. Now I have two things to see a therapist about :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
One thing to keep in mind when buying the quick hitch, is getting the model where you don't need the bushings. That solves all these problems and especially the extra expense.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
One thing to keep in mind when buying the quick hitch, is getting the model where you don't need the bushings. That solves all these problems and especially the extra expense.
However... a lot of implements these days, especially Frontier, have a quick-hitch compatible top bushing bolted in from the factor. So you'll need to remove those and go purchase standard top-link pins. Still... less expensive than bushings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The only one I'm aware of that does this is the Speeco E-hitch that the guy at GoodWorks Tractors speaks highly of. This is the hitch I bought. It has the same size top link pin opening (Cat 3) as other quick hitches, but doesn't require bushings for the lower links because it has openings sized for cat 1 lower pins.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts