Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My X500 is 2-years old and has 130 hours. I just noticed that the seat has a small split. I haven't called the dealer yet but does this sound like something that is typically covered by warranty? My tractor has never sat outside and is always stored in the garage. I sort of figured the newer X-series seats were a bit fragile as it seems a majority of tractors listed on Craigslist always have torn seats regardless of hours. I hoped mine would last more than 2 years especially since it is stored indoors. My previous JD rider was a 175 Hydro and that seat lasted 15 years.

What think? Warrant item? Unfortunately at first glance it might appear that some object tore it but I know that is not the case.

IMG_1700.JPG IMG_1701.JPG

·
Administrator
20,894 Posts
I highly doubt it. I would think they would consider that a wear item like brakes, clutches, tires, etc.

Wouldn't hurt to ask your dealer though. :good2:

·
Registered
619 Posts
I highly doubt it. I would think they would consider that a wear item like brakes, clutches, tires, etc.

Wouldn't hurt to ask your dealer though. :good2:
As long as it doesn't cost you anything to ask, I would go for the warranty repair. Don't hesitate to email the dealership pictures of similar wear patterns on the seats you have come across in the past.

·
Registered
619 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
A good dealer will cover it, or at least try. Talk to the service manager. I have replaced seats under warranty before.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Warranty....YES

I have an X500 and at about the 300 hour mark, the seat developed a split in the bottom. Went to the dealer and asked about warranty and he said everything from end to end except tire wear was warranted . He gave me a new one at no charge and asked for the old one back. I asked if the new one was any better than the old one and he said "Nope. Expect it to split in about the same number of hours."
I now have 600 hours on my X500 and just noticed that the seat is starting to split again, this time up the back. With the cost so high, and quality so low, I am going to hunt for an aftermarket yellow seat this time.

·
Premium Member
14,910 Posts
Five or six years ago , shop foreman stopped at the house to help adjust something. He seen a 3/4-1 1/4" tear in my tractor seat. A couple of days later on his way home, he dropped off a new seat. I told him I'm the one who put the hole in the seat with a screwdriver... Oh well got a new seat no charge.

Go for call the dealer , never hurts to ask. I think they will replace the seat.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
I have an X500 and at about the 300 hour mark, the seat developed a split in the bottom. Went to the dealer and asked about warranty and he said everything from end to end except tire wear was warranted . He gave me a new one at no charge and asked for the old one back. I asked if the new one was any better than the old one and he said "Nope. Expect it to split in about the same number of hours."
I now have 600 hours on my X500 and just noticed that the seat is starting to split again, this time up the back. With the cost so high, and quality so low, I am going to hunt for an aftermarket yellow seat this time.
Personally, I would tape the crack and cover it with a seat cover like this one from Deere. The seat cover is really handy as it has pockets in the back where I store my small personal carry size cigar humidor, cutter and wooden matches........Plus other handy stuff.......and it's $27 on Green Parts Store.......

·
Registered
23,073 Posts
Personally, I would tape the crack and cover it with a seat cover like this one from Deere. The seat cover is really handy as it has pockets in the back where I store my small personal carry size cigar humidor, cutter and wooden matches........Plus other handy stuff.......and it's $27 on Green Parts Store.......

I didn't know they had pockets in them - hmmmmm. I've been looking for an easy solution to have my P&S camera and a pair of gloves with me without mounting a tool box. I'll have to see if I can get some dimensions as I installed a rather large Michigan seat on my 2520. Also the black seat gets pretty hot.

P1330365.JPG

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Had a JD seat cover for my last tractor. In the summer my but would slide all over the place while cutting hills. Not so much of a problem with plowing in the winter. Was definitely better than sitting on the cold plastic seat. It did however help cover the torn seat when it was time to sell it.

·
Premium Member
12,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
** UPDATE **

I contacted the dealer and they confirmed this would be a warranty repair, no questions asked. They even sent a tech out to do the seat swap.

I am going to try a seat cover to see if that helps to extend the seat life.

Reactions: DRobinson

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
** UPDATE **

I contacted the dealer and they confirmed this would be a warranty repair, no questions asked. They even sent a tech out to do the seat swap.

I am going to try a seat cover to see if that helps to extend the seat life.
That's good they will warrantee the seat, I would buy the seat cover. I did and I have a X738 with the custom split seat and adjustable arm rests, best thing I bought so far, comfortable and you can just take it off and wash it if necessary. It also does not move to easily while using the tractor hill or not. Hopefully my seat will not split and if it does I will never see it!. They do have pockets on the right side with a zipper and on the rear plenty of room and even has draw strings. I can even carry my pot pipe and lighter in the special pocket! :mocking::lol: I'm sure Eddie has the seat cover too! :laugh: Wait that's not legal in Mass yet! :hide: Of course I am kidding about the pipe and pot! I'm whacky enough without that!

Reactions: BigJim55
1 - 13 of 13 Posts