Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Nice of you to help out! Will you be making a video of the grapple setup/installation on the 2038r? Artillian? I’d like to see an Everything Attachments vs Artillian vid. Single vs double clamshell.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice of you to help out! Will you be making a video of the grapple setup/installation on the 2038r? Artillian? I’d like to see an Everything Attachments vs Artillian vid. Single vs double clamshell.
Ransx77 did a great job of the artillian 2r setup in this forum.

I doubt that I can do a direct EA vs. Artillian grapple test.

Levi and I showed single vs. double clamp earlier this spring. Both of us prefer the double clamp. Really helps to clamp the load securely.

Tim

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hey Tim, I have a question. How come you keep your three point hitch ballast so high up in the vid?

Doesn't that raise the center of gravity and decrease stability?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Hey Tim, I have a question. How come you keep your three point hitch ballast so high up in the vid?

I’m not that Tim, but I am a Tim and my 2 series with Artillian grapple with ballast I do the same. To me the issue is having the ballast as close to the rear axle as possible. Just like with wheel weights or loaded tires, having useful effective ballast is a matter of having the weight as close to the machine as possible, lower and farther away on the 3 pt just is plain less effective. Gravity pulls down anyway so the height isn’t as much of an issue as it may seem, I’d say Tim and Johnny2 are doing it correctly-though I think the ballast may be a bit light.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Had many more issues on my mind, I guess. I didn't have ANY issues with stability on that project, so I left it all the way up.

I always run "all the way up" on the 1025r, but of course, that isn't nearly as high!

I should probably run it lower, but honestly, I cannot tell the difference ... even though you are correct in theory. Further "out" from the axle, and lower should provide the best ballast.

Many things to think about. I don't get them all set perfectly every time.

Tim

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I’m not that Tim, but I am a Tim and my 2 series with Artillian grapple with ballast I do the same. To me the issue is having the ballast as close to the rear axle as possible. Just like with wheel weights or loaded tires, having useful effective ballast is a matter of having the weight as close to the machine as possible, lower and farther away on the 3 pt just is plain less effective. Gravity pulls down anyway so the height isn’t as much of an issue as it may seem, I’d say Tim and Johnny2 are doing it correctly-though I think the ballast may be a bit light.
Depends on which ballast you are trying to achieve. If you just want to keep the rear tires planted, then the rear 3 point ballast can be close. If you are trying to relieve weight from the front axle pivot AND have the rear tires planted than further from the back of the tractor is better. Also Depends on what/how heavy the ballast in relation to the rear of the tractor is. 100lbs 10' off the rear may be the same as 500 close to the rear.

Lots to think about when it comes to rear ballast. If you're loader working and something feels iffy than add more. Unfortunately there's no chart for what ballast is needed when it comes to all the different things we pick up with our loaders. Always safe to err on the heavy side

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Thanks. I thought I was missing something. I recall reading the instructions to some piece of rear ballast (maybe heavy hitch?) and it mentioned raising the ballast up and I remember thinking, "Up?? That doesn't make sense."

·
Premium Member
10,694 Posts
Thanks. I thought I was missing something. I recall reading the instructions to some piece of rear ballast (maybe heavy hitch?) and it mentioned raising the ballast up and I remember thinking, "Up?? That doesn't make sense."
Check to JD loader manual, I seem to recall somewhere there was a statement advising to keep the ballast box raised up.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Check to JD loader manual, I seem to recall somewhere there was a statement advising to keep the ballast box raised up.
That must have been it. I can't think of why, except maybe to avoid having it hit ground or something. Even so, you wouldn't have to raise it that high.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Most people keep the ballast up to avoid dragging on anything.
From a technical standpoint, the maximum benefit from the weight would be to have it as far away from the pivot (rear axle) as possible. This will give the greatest effective weight for counterbalance and will increase what the rear axle "sees" as weight. The further away from the axle the weight is, the less thats needed to accomplish the same job.
Now, we are only talking a few inches, but sometimes, every little bit helps.
Most times you want the weight as low as possible to aid with stability too.
Most of that isnt first and foremost on peoples minds, but thats the way it works best, but as we have all seen, it works fine other ways too!

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Here's what the 220R loader manual says about the ballast box;

"Use ballast box (A) in the rear-most position, approximately 610 mm (24 in) off the ground."

OMW58255

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Thanks to those that started the discussion of ballast positioning. I hadn't really paid attention before. I'm going to try to move my ballast more towards the 24" off the ground that the manual calls for and give it a whirl.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts