Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking of adding a walk behind snowblower to the snow removal arsenal for a while now. I didn't want a gas powered machine because my wife wouldn't want to use it because it would be loud if she could even get it started. Single stage snowblowers aren't for me and most of the battery powered ones look like they were made by Fisher Price.
After researching I felt the Toro two stage was the way to go for me. It is a standard Toro with an electric motor replacing the gas engine.
After getting it home and set up I gave my wife a short lesson on how to use it and she immediately started clearing her paths to the chicken coops. Very easy for her to use, just put the batteries in turn the key on and go. She picked it up quickly and likes how quiet it is.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They claim 24 car spaces in 10 inches of snow with the two 6 amp batteries. I used it for about an hour today albeit with not much snow yet. It was down to two bars on the batteries after that. It has a slot to run a third battery which I plan on doing. Toro claims up to 42 car spaces when using 3 batteries, not sure if that is with the 6 amp batteries or the 7.5 amp batteries. I feel it will handle my needs with the three batteries. We will see how it does with more snow. I know my wife will be happy to not have to shovel her paths as the heaviest storms always seem to happen when I am working.

·
Registered
633 Posts
They claim 24 car spaces in 10 inches of snow with the two 6 amp batteries. I used it for about an hour today albeit with not much snow yet. It was down to two bars on the batteries after that. It has a slot to run a third battery which I plan on doing. Toro claims up to 42 car spaces when using 3 batteries, not sure if that is with the 6 amp batteries or the 7.5 amp batteries. I feel it will handle my needs with the three batteries. We will see how it does with more snow. I know my wife will be happy to not have to shovel her paths as the heaviest storms always seem to happen when I am working.
How many spaces is that in Buffalo?

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
How many spaces is that in Buffalo?
2 :ROFLMAO: Probably not a big seller in Buffalo. Might need a pack of 200 or more batteries.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reactions: gdow and Dave in DE

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
15,507 Posts
I have had the Toro two stroke snow blowers for years and I LOVED them, as you could use the snow blower as a snow shovel, it was light enough to lift and do steps sideways, yet had enough power to throw the snow for walks and normal driveways, It was a very handy tool.

But then the EPA killed the product (being 2 stroke) and finding good used snow blowers was harder and harder. I finally lost my last machine when the stupid mice built a nest up under the engine cowling and I didn't see it, ran the blower and it overheated, damaging the piston, etc. It still runs, just down on power and the replacement parts aren't available, etc.

The single stage Toro looks like a good option to replace it. I like to carry the snow blower on the back of my tractor on the rear carry all and the Honda snow blower I bought does a great job, but the thing is WAY too heavy to use on steps, etc as its 90+ pounds.

I run Echo 58v battery tools all summer long and have had great results. Its much easier than dealing with the 2 stroke fuel, etc.,

My only concerns are the batteries are costly $200 ish in price, and the cold does zap battery power. so the snow blower must accommodate that concern.

The two stage Toro is a nice machine and is rated very well. But its also nearly $2k with the blower, spare battery and the largest size batteries, which I find are critical for extended use on the Echo products. I have both 2.5ah and 4ah batteries and the 4ah are the only way to go. Most tools come with the smaller battery option and the larger batteries are sold separately, as is the case with the Toro snow blowers..............

I do wonder how the dedicated Toro dealers feel about some of the Toro products being sold at Ace, TSC, etc. competing with the tull service, full line Toro dealers......Buy the machine at a box store and need warranty work? Good luck, they will direct you to the local Toto dealer and if you bought the machine at the Box store and not at the dealer, you aren't going to get priority placement in the repair que at their dealership. They can and should give those customers who bought from their dealer the priority for warranty and service work...............

I am going to have to give the single stage Toto blowers with the largest battery size a look. Appears its still going to be close to a grand in price. Sure with the Honda I have was lighter weight, It's a bear to load and unload on the carry all and there are some places at clients where having the sidewalk blower would be very handy. Plus clearing the sidewalks adds revenue and I am getting too old to do that with a shovel................as I have been.

Reactions: gdow

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
15,507 Posts
I sure like how everything in your garage is very organized and the floor protected, etc. My plan was to be that organized, but I am not quite there yet. Need another building or less stuff or both......yea, both......

Like the Polaris UTV as well........What's the main snow clearing source, the tractor or the Polaris?

Reactions: gdow

·
Registered
820 Posts
One thing to keep in mind about "cold sapping battery capacity" This is very true but you may not see that as an issue with a snow blower like this. Because you will most likely keep the batteries someplace warm (or you should get in that habit). Then when you get outside in the cold as long as you are using the machine the power draw should keep the batteries sufficiently warm to not be an issue.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I sure like how everything in your garage is very organized and the floor protected, etc. My plan was to be that organized, but I am not quite there yet. Need another building or less stuff or both......yea, both......

Like the Polaris UTV as well........What's the main snow clearing source, the tractor or the Polaris?
The tractor is my main means of snow removal. Currently the loader is still on. I put the blower on it when there is a packed base of snow on my gravel driveway. I prefer the front mount snowblower for a few reasons. Where I live snow doesn't melt between snowfalls from around Thanksgiving till sometime in March and into April. The snowblower spreads the snow over an area along the driveway. No snowbanks or piles that take much longer to melt preventing the driveway from drying out sooner.
The Polaris is used for light snows or for quicker cleanups after work. When I have more time on the weekend I then do a proper clean up and widening with the tractor and front mount.
The walk behind is primarily for walk paths and close to buildings to limit shoveling.
Currently Toro has single stage snowblowers $200 off and $300 off on two stage snowblowers.
As far as my garage being organized it is still a work in progress. The "toy" side is pretty much set but I have some more to do on the work side.

Reactions: SulleyBear

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Why are you making your wife snow blow?
I work and get home late and handle clearing the driveway, 900' with a large circle and two garages to clear. She has been shoveling her paths to tend her chickens and peafowl for years. She has been dropping hints lately to get some kind of snowblower for her. Happy wife happy life.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts