Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is on paint touch up on a new to me 2014 2032r. There are about 5-6 locations where there is paint damage and I am curious in your thoughts on how best to do it. My current thought is to scrap loose paint and lightly sand the areas then simply use the JD touch up paint. I would use JD green and black paint that comes in the small bottles with the applicator brush. My goal is not to make it perfect, but cover up the damaged areas and get rid of the rust. I have had good luck with the Rustoleum Rust Reformer on other projects. I thought about applying this first to cover the metal prior to using the touch up paint. Any other thoughts on what you would do? Thanks.

IMG_2363.jpg
IMG_2359.jpg
IMG_2361.jpg

·
Administrator
20,171 Posts
Don't follow Keith's advice. Geewizz, you'd have a tractor looking like a zebra messing around with a cheetah in a random paint booth. :lol:

Go to the dealer and get you some touch-up paint. It's top-notch stuff and matches exactly. Your tractor will look new and it'll maintain a better resale value down the road. :good2:

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Personally, for the loader, brush guard, rear implements, etc., I use Rustoleum JD Green in a rattle can. Matches perfectly and will most likely get scratched again. Re-sand and re-spray as needed.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,234 Posts
Go to the dealer and get you some touch-up paint. It's top-notch stuff and matches exactly. Your tractor will look new and it'll maintain a better resale value down the road. :good2:
Didn't affect the trade in value of my 1988 JD650, as a matter of fact the dealer (owner) was impressed how well it was taken care of and it had a LOT of black paint on it.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,155 Posts
Don't follow Keith's advice. Geewizz, you'd have a tractor looking like a zebra messing around with a cheetah in a random paint booth. :lol:

Man oh man, wish I would have thought of that description, perfection!!! :thumbup1gif::lol::lol:

·
Administrator
20,171 Posts
Didn't affect the trade in value of my 1988 JD650, as a matter of fact the dealer (owner) was impressed how well it was taken care of and it had a LOT of black paint on it.
Yeah, but WHO wrote the check at the end of the day, him or you? He was probably happy as a clam when you left.:laugh:

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
My question is on paint touch up on a new to me 2014 2032r. There are about 5-6 locations where there is paint damage and I am curious in your thoughts on how best to do it. My current thought is to scrap loose paint and lightly sand the areas then simply use the JD touch up paint. I would use JD green and black paint that comes in the small bottles with the applicator brush. My goal is not to make it perfect, but cover up the damaged areas and get rid of the rust. I have had good luck with the Rustoleum Rust Reformer on other projects. I thought about applying this first to cover the metal prior to using the touch up paint. Any other thoughts on what you would do? Thanks.
Chip away anything loose, clean with wax and grease remover. Then apply a rust converter such as Loctite Extend to the affected areas. It neutralizes rust, primes it and makes it ready for topcoating. Then touch up with JD Green from your dealer and call it good enough.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks you all so much. Great directions and advice. With Winter here I need some projects so this will be great and will look better. :good2:

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Not sure if they have Fleet Farms in your area or if there are other places that sell it but I buy Old 55 paint for my machines.

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/old-55-gloss-paint/0000000256194

They have a green that is a perfect match. I want to say it has more pigment than normal rattle can paint so it covers much better.

I have used the JD stuff as well which is good but I normally use the other stuff.

·
Premium Member
4,338 Posts
^^^ This. And what Kyle said. Get all that flaking crap off, sand it a little, wipe it down with some acetone, and rattle can it. That stuff blends perfect.

View attachment 716536
My vote as well.

Kieth the first one to post on this subject, how did we end up in a place like this.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
John Deere also sells primer that has worked well for me. I sand the area smooth, then clean it with pure isopropyl alcohol to remove any grease. Then prime it and spray paint it immediately after priming it. Don't forget to mask any areas that you don't want painted. I'm no artist for sure, but you generally won't be able to detect an area that I touched up.

·
Registered
11,496 Posts
:lol:
They look for damage, rust and functionality.
i have nuthing new to add to the painting.

i just want to know how in the world did u wake up so early is all.:dunno::lol:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,234 Posts
i have nuthing new to add to the painting.

I just want to know how in the world did u wake up so early is all.:dunno::lol:
A sleep disorder called probate!

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Use Wax and grease remover or isopropyl alcohol for cleaning, not acetone. If you use acetone on any previous touch up areas you’ll soften the paint, and it won’t harden again. It’s not to bad with baked on paint or powder coat, but it’s still not good for them. One gallon of wax and grease remover will last decades. I’ve painted a truck, most of another one, a tractor and dozens of other things and still have 1/2 gallon on the shelf.

I’m a fan of JD paint, that’s what I use. I cannot comment on the other options as I haven’t used them much at all, but I will crap on krylon, don’t use it unless you want the yellow to run like water, and the green to turn blue in a few years.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
:lol:
They look for damage, rust and functionality.
And then their clean up department paints the black areas green and then puts it up for sale.

I bet someone sends Giz a rattle can of John Deere green paint for Christmas........

1 - 20 of 26 Posts