Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed to the Lexington area for a few days. Doing a college visit for my daughter.
While we're there, we're going to visit the Ark and Creation museum.

Any other spots close by? I'm not sure how much free time we'll have but if I didn't ask I'd regret it.

Thanks,
Zach

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Headed to the Lexington area for a few days. Doing a college visit for my daughter.

Any other spots close by? I'm not sure how much free time we'll have but if I didn't ask I'd regret it.

Thanks,
Zach
Not much help here, but went through there many years ago, and it's a beautiful place. Lots of landscape, horses, pasture, bluegrass, old tobacco barns, etc. that we saw from the highway. Make sure you take your camera and come back with some pictures.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Z - If you're a bourbon man, Lexington is close to the bourbon trail. A distillery or two might be fun to tour, your daughter might be your designated driver.

Have fun in the bluegrass!!

Brian

Thanks,
Zach

·
Registered
130 Posts
Check out the KY Horse Park on the north side of Lexington. Shaker Village is just to the south (beautiful place!). If' you're at the Creation Museum, you're not far from the Newport Aquarium, which is just over the bridge from downtown Cincinnati. If in Cincinnati, there's the Cincinnati Zoo, rooftop view from Carew Tower, etc. Lots of good stuff all around here!

Are you looking at UK, Transylvania University, EKU, Morehead?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Check out the KY Horse Park on the north side of Lexington. Shaker Village is just to the south (beautiful place!). If' you're at the Creation Museum, you're not far from the Newport Aquarium, which is just over the bridge from downtown Cincinnati. If in Cincinnati, there's the Cincinnati Zoo, rooftop view from Carew Tower, etc. Lots of good stuff all around here!

My one son did an internship at HP when in college and all of the above places are great to visit. If I remember right there was a Jim Bean brewery or whatever you call them but it was very interesting on how they made the whiskey the information about the barrels was neat.

Doug

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Z - If you're a bourbon man, Lexington is close to the bourbon trail. A distillery or two might be fun to tour, your daughter might be your designated driver.

Have fun in the bluegrass!!

Brian
Coming back in ‘19 with some buddies to do the bourbon trail. I suggested a distillery trip but the wife quashed that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not much help here, but went through there many years ago, and it's a beautiful place. Lots of landscape, horses, pasture, bluegrass, old tobacco barns, etc. that we saw from the highway. Make sure you take your camera and come back with some pictures.
I did bring my DSLR.

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Asbury University. She wants to be an equine science major.

Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Someone mentioned a Shaker Village. Here is the website. It is a nice place. South west of Lexington.

https://shakervillageky.org/

Berea, Kentucky is another place to visit. South of Lexington.

https://www.visitberea.com/

My wife & I do not drink alcohol, but we both enjoyed the distillery tours & bourbon trail.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Lots of horse farms

I went through there many years ago when I was in college and was able to visit some horse farms including the one where Secretariat was at pasture. I think it was Calumet farm but it was an interesting visit. I hope some farms are still welcoming visitors. I don't remember paying a fee but obviously there was a designated visitor area.

Good luck to your daughter. It's a beautiful area and LOTS of horses.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
130 Posts
Asbury University. She wants to be an equine science major.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Nice. A friend of the family received a baseball scholarship to Asbury a couple years ago. Your daughter would likely love the horse park. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,118 Posts

I was going to mention the KY Horse Park and Shaker Village as well. Someone else mentioned Berea which is also a neat little town.

Not sure if you're driving or flying, but if you're driving and you go by Bowling Green, KY (on I-65) stop by the Corvette Museum.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts