Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best tow-behind plug aerators people are using out there and really like?

I'm debating between the 48" Ohio steel pro series w/ spring tines or the 48" john deere one. Suggestions? Thoughts?
I do have hard clay soil.

Thanks everyone,
Travis

·
Registered
396 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
I would love to get that one... but damn it's expensive. More apted to get this one.

Tractor 3 point hitch Core Aerator or Lawn Plugger

:thumbup1gif: This is the one I ended up with. Here is my Aerator thread about it. Oh, I love it.

What's the best tow-behind plug aerators people are using out there and really like?

I'm debating between the 48" Ohio steel pro series w/ spring tines or the 48" john deere one. Suggestions? Thoughts?
I do have hard clay soil.

Thanks everyone,
Travis
Travis, any reason you are looking at tow-behind rather than 3pt?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Randy,
Couple reasons why I'm considering pull-behind vs. 3pt.
1. Price - pull-behind is around $300-500 vs. 3pt is around $1200 and up. And I only like buying things new, so used is kind of out for me. Just that kind of guy. I work hard for my toys so I like to get them new if at all possible.
2. I have relatives that would like to borrow it as well and they have smaller lawn tractors. So 3pt wont work for them.
3. I love landscaping and making curves w/ the landscape beds is my desired look, I also intend on planting lots of trees. With a pull behind I can make circles around trees and landscape beds with no problem vs. 3pt it really is only intended for straight line use.

I know the 3pt can probably pull better plugs in harder soil vs. the pull behind but I'm concerned about how much better. Is it double the price better.....
I'm figuring if I pour my own cement block weights w/ handles to sit on the tray of a pull behind I can probably total a weight of about 300lbs. That is taking in the account the weight of the pull-behind + the weights.

Whats your thoughs on all this Randy,
I'm looking for a honest opinion and recommendation from some w/ the experience already.

Thanks for your help,
Travis

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
What's your thoughts on all this Randy,
I'm looking for a honest opinion and recommendation from some w/ the experience already.

Thanks for your help,
Travis
Well Travis, since you asked, I think you have given this the thought that it deserves. I do have a couple of comments.

1. Price - pull-behind is around $300-500 vs. 3pt is around $1200 and up. And I only like buying things new, so used is kind of out for me. Just that kind of guy. I work hard for my toys so I like to get them new if at all possible.
I hear what you are saying and I too like buying new. I do however consider used on items when they appear to be well taken care of and not much can go wrong. I think an aerator is one of those items.

2. I have relatives that would like to borrow it as well and they have smaller lawn tractors. So 3pt wont work for them.
Loaning out things is just a definite "No-No" for me. Like you said, we work hard for things and I do not buy them for other people to use. Now, mind you, I occasionally will do a job for someone.

3. I love landscaping and making curves w/ the landscape beds is my desired look, I also intend on planting lots of trees. With a pull behind I can make circles around trees and landscape beds with no problem vs. 3pt it really is only intended for straight line use.
You are correct, a 3pt aerator is definitely more straight line operation. I find I do not have to do circles around my trees, just a slight course deviation and I am good. I also then do a perpendicular pattern to fill in any gaps.

I know the 3pt can probably pull better plugs in harder soil vs. the pull behind but I'm concerned about how much better. Is it double the price better.....
I'm figuring if I pour my own cement block weights w/ handles to sit on the tray of a pull behind I can probably total a weight of about 300lbs. That is taking in the account the weight of the pull-behind + the weights.
True you can always add weight regardless of the unit type. I think if you get a quality pull-behind you should be able to pull as good a plugs as any other unit.

On a final note, I am just not a "pull-behind" guy. I have got rid of all my trailer attachments in favor of 3pt units. This includes my sprayer and spreader. Trailer attachments are just a pain in the butt turning and backing up. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Randy,
I truly appreciate all the feedback and am going to take your ideas into consideration. It's always a pleasure hearing your advice. I agree I don't like loaning things out either but when it comes to family it's hard to say, no. Anyone else I would rather do it for them or not at all, loaning is not a option. Once again thanks for your help.
Travis

P.s. The perfect option would be the tow-behind and 3pt combo aerator that was in your link. To bad it's over 2k.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Last summer I struggled with the same question. I finally bit the bullet and spent the extra money and went with the John Deere. Ordered it from Home Depot, free shipping. It was more money but as soon as it arrived I was impressed with the quality of the parts. Very heavy feel. This unit is made by Brinley for JD. The only problem I had was the packaging or lack thereof. Many of the parts were loose in the box and scratched up both rims and the drawbar sides. After spending the extra money I didn't think this was acceptable. Called Brinley and talked to a lady there that said to email photos of the damage. They approved the new parts same day and shipped to me within days. Never had to send back the old ones. So I have a nice set of pneumatic wheels to use on a project.
Assembly takes some time. All in all it did a great job of plugging.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Tow-behind aerators fir 1025r

Travis

I just got my new 3 point 48" plugger today and have already used it. I feel that it is way better than my old tow behind plugger aerator. I think that is mostly due to the weight of the 3ph version (520 lbs) and also the plug knives are much better. Overall I am glad I moved up. The downside is that since it is really heavy I cannot just pull it up to my tractor and go. I would say another downside is that it is pretty big even for a 48" unit so you need the space to store it.

I went with the Everything Attachments tube style plugger.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would look at products by Ryan or Billy Goat for tow behind. I have used both from rental places and been impressed enough to consider new. I would like the Ryan with electric lift, but have not pulled the trigger on it new , as there is one local for sale for which I have been trying to get the price down.

·
Registered
386 Posts
The Ryan and Billygoat models are much more expensive than even the 3ph model I bought. There is a tow behind Ryan that was converted from a 3ph model for sale here locally but it is only 36" and I wanted to be at least as wide as the tires on my tractor.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
The hard part is getting something wide enough.I know this is a spike aerator but you could gang plug aerator also.Mine is 9foot wide.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,506 Posts
The hard part is getting something wide enough.I know this is a spike aerator but you could gang plug aerator also.Mine is 9foot wide.
now that's using ur head-great pics-thanks.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
now that's using ur head-great pics-thanks.
Thanks,I originally bought one for the 345 and being 40" just took forever.Found the other two on CL and had a friend weld a hitch on the one. Cut my time down on 2.5 acres.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I purchased a LandPride CA1556 when I had my 1026R. It worked well as long as the ground was moist. I have since purchased a 2032R and the aerator works much better now, not to say that it did not do the job when I had the 1026R. Here is the specs on the LP: CA15 Series Core Aerators | Land Pride and here is a clip of it in action on the 2032R: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaRDuRx5v4Q The ground wasn't as moist as I would have liked but it certainly got the job done.

Reactions: RandyM

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I purchased a LandPride CA1556 when I had my 1026R. It worked well as long as the ground was moist. I have since purchased a 2032R and the aerator works much better now, not to say that it did not do the job when I had the 1026R. Here is the specs on the LP: CA15 Series Core Aerators | Land Pride and here is a clip of it in action on the 2032R: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaRDuRx5v4Q The ground wasn't as moist as I would have liked but it certainly got the job done.
You say it did not work well behind the 1025R, did the 1025 have an issue pulling it?

·
Registered
640 Posts
You say it did not work well behind the 1025R, did the 1025 have an issue pulling it?
It worked fine on the 1026R, just found that it tends to work better with the ground moist that is all. I tend to aerate after a days rain.

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
I have the same model on my 1025r and it pulls it with no issues. I can run in high range on the flat but on the slopes have to go down to low range.

My ground was a little wet to be aerating yesterday. Could have used another day to dry but unfortunately have to be at work so took the chance. Still had to add 180lbs sand bags and two 70lb suitcase weights to get full depth plugs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts