Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I am looking to get a tow behind broadcast fert/seed
style. I used a walk behind for doing grass seed, but had a
hard time getting it to flow without opening it to far.

Is there a trick to these spreaders I don't know about, grass
seed up here is some what expensive.

:kidw_truck_smiley:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Not sure what you are asking. :unknown:

I have run grass seed through broadcast and drop spreaders and never had a problem. Grass seed flows through just about anything.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, I didn't get it to flow unless I had it open to half
or three quarters. I found that the seed wanted to
hang up and not flow. I wanted to spread at a 4, but
the seed wouldn't flow until I selected 9 or 11 which
is to much.

I think I am doing something wrong, just not knowing
what though.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Can you tell us what you are using for a spreader, they all have different settings and openings?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you tell us what you are using for a spreader, they all have different settings and openings?
It was one I borrowed,I am looking at a JD unit.

SS1022B Broadcast Spreader

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
I'm considering a spreader for my atv also, but my pasture is mostly bunch grasses and very lumpy to drive over. So the small wheels on those tow-behind spreaders don't roll very well. Several of the atv types mount on the rear rack.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
I'm considering a spreader for my atv also, but my pasture is mostly bunch grasses and very lumpy to drive over. So the small wheels on those tow-behind spreaders don't roll very well. Several of the atv types mount on the rear rack.
I agree, I used pull behinds for many years and only tipped it over once. You can not beat a good direct or 3PT mount. I use a PTO driven 3PT now.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Perhaps a mild alteration or addition to the agitator could be helpful? I don't know what is in the maw of the unit you are borrowing but often they are just simple spring clips.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I've got an Earthway tow behind that I can only use with my GX garden tractor. I can't reach the control from the 1026 seat. The main problem with this unit is the bottom of the hopper is flat (another poor design, it ain't just JD stuff) and won't discharge tha last few pounds of fertilizer unless I "go like 60" and bounce it around a bit. Find a unit with a conical hopper! Sadly, I just can't justify a 3pt unit for half an acre... yet! :laugh:

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Here is the one I bought last winter. I will be using it hopefully in a couple weeks.

Got all the hardware (2" receiver and plate) for my spreader today so I mounted it for fit. I can reach the open/closed handle a lot easier now for the spreader plate/gate. I plan on doing quite a bit of reseeding and fertilizing this coming Spring. I decided to go with the electric spreader for versatility and hope it works out.

Moved the tractor into the attached garage for the winter. It stays between 45°-50°F.

Reactions: BigJim55 and rtgt

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Try this

You might try blending the seed with sand or some thing else that flows better. It will take some trial and error to get the rates right. Tobacco farmers traditionally used ashes mixed with tobacco seed because that was both very small and very expensive.

I won't guarantee that will work but you could try a test run. The sand, lime or other carrier will need to be dry.

Treefarmer

Reactions: BigJim55 and rtgt

·
Registered
12,660 Posts
I agree, I used pull behinds for many years and only tipped it over once. You can not beat a good direct or 3PT mount. I use a PTO driven 3PT now.
RandyM-do u have any pics of ur type of 3pt spreader? thanks

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hey there Budman. We use a JD 130# tow behind spreader. For some things, it's great. But get the littlest pebble stuck in there and nothing flows through. I was spreading ant killer last week. (I swear those little pests seek me out and fire ants, too!) Directions said to use a hand held broadcast spreader. Well, I thought I would outsmart the manufacturer and make an aliquot. Mixed the ant killer proportionately with sand to expand the volume so I could use it in the tow behind. Figured since we have clay, the sand would benefit the ground anyway. Can't see back into the spreader from my ZTrak and wasted 30 minutes of my life driving around the yard before realizing it really wasn't flowing. The sand had too much moisture content and little bitty chunks that were clogging up the drop. That said, it spreads grass seed and fertilizer like a champ. I think in the future, I'll sift through what I put in it carefully to avoid that problem.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Reactions: budman and rtgt

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To be honest, I had never used one before. So I knew nothing about them
inside setup. It seemed like it would just sit there over the opening, You guys
are telling me there should be an agitator to keep the product flowing.

I will have to practice and learn. Thanks for the help guys. :bigthumb:

Reactions: BigJim55
1 - 16 of 16 Posts