Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with our new acreage purchase and moving in coming right up(June 28), I will have to spray the yard. I have been doing a little poking around on youtube and visited my servicing dealer, but I'm really torn on what to buy. The 25 gallon click-n-go seems like the best and most sense option. Don't wanna drag a trailer around if I don't have to. But, the booms on that 25 gallon sprayer look very flimsy I must say. Any insight from people that own these sprayers? My grandma has a cheapy 25 gallon tow-behind one that works reasonably well. And to be honest...I'm not sure 25 gallon would be enough. May have to move up to a 40 gallon one? New to the spraying weeds world here. I just put granular weed/feed down on my current city yard and spot spray weeds with my 2 gallon pumper.

·
Premium Member
10,926 Posts
The booms on the 25-gallon mounted sprayer are made from steel flat bars. They seem plenty strong to me. The two end sections pivot so if you hit something they will just fold in. I like not having to maneuver a trailer around the yard. The only down side is you pretty much need to empty it before unmounting from the tractor. I hang mine on the garage wall when not in use.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The booms on the 25-gallon mounted sprayer are made from steel flat bars. They seem plenty strong to me. The two end sections pivot so if you hit something they will just fold in. I like not having to maneuver a trailer around the yard. The only down side is you pretty much need to empty it before unmounting from the tractor. I hang mine on the garage wall when not in use.
I agree about not having to maneuver a trailer as well. I do that with my MC542 system and it's kind of a pain(but holds a lot of material). Just not sure if the 25 gallons will be enough though for spraying 4+ acres for weeds.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
check the label

I agree about not having to maneuver a trailer as well. I do that with my MC542 system and it's kind of a pain(but holds a lot of material). Just not sure if the 25 gallons will be enough though for spraying 4+ acres for weeds.
You might read the label of whatever products you are likely to be using on the yard. They will probably specify an amount of water per acre or possibly per 1,000 sq. feet. That will tell you if 25 gallons is enough. You don't want to go so big you consistently have a lot of material left in the tank. That means either dumping it- not desirable for ecological reasons, going over parts of the yard twice just to use it up- again that's not good or leaving it in the tank which is really not good and almost guarantees stopped up nozzles.

It's easier to mix two tankfuls than deal with extra material IMHO.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
I bought this one a couple years ago from Northern Tool. Then, I bought a carrier from Harbor Freight and use a 2" hitch I installed on my tractor.

25 Gallon sprayer with a boomless spray nozzle. It works well for me.

P5183013.jpg

P5183012.jpg

It sprays about a 15ft. pattern coming out of the single nozzle.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200578572_200578572?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Lawn + Garden > Sprayers > Broadcast + Spot Sprayers&utm_campaign=NorthStar&utm_content=26812101&gclid=CjwKCAjwrqnYBRB-EiwAthnBFhbXQ89fVxPwxVIpOmzgt7iUW0zge4bjcwd7oyZhRKjiPGSkwaWLSRoCi8IQAvD_BwE

·
Registered
8,161 Posts
I bought this one a couple years ago from Northern Tool. Then, I bought a carrier from Harbor Freight and use a 2" hitch I installed on my tractor.

25 Gallon sprayer with a boomless spray nozzle. It works well for me.

View attachment 620002

It sprays about a 15ft. pattern coming out of the single nozzle.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200578572_200578572?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Lawn + Garden > Sprayers > Broadcast + Spot Sprayers&utm_campaign=NorthStar&utm_content=26812101&gclid=CjwKCAjwrqnYBRB-EiwAthnBFhbXQ89fVxPwxVIpOmzgt7iUW0zge4bjcwd7oyZhRKjiPGSkwaWLSRoCi8IQAvD_BwE

I used a very similar sprayer mount for my 455, but since I didn't have the 3 point hitch, I put a rubber tired, caster wheel on the center of the back of the platform and let the platform weight ride on the tire. It worked just fine. The only thing you have to make sure is that you leave the pin out of the platform "PIVOT" so you can flip the platform vertically when not in use. For the set up I used, having the pin out of the hitch portion for the platform to pivot allows the rear of the spray rig platform to rise up and down as you go over hills or in and out of buildings, etc.

My set up even looked a lot like Ilmo's, except mine connected with the 2" hitch tube to the small receiver I mounted on the rear hitch of the tractor. You have to plan ahead to get the spray nozzles high enough to give you the coverage you want and need. The lower the sprayer is to the ground, the narrower the pattern is likely to be out of the spray nozzles.

While you can put the sprayer in a cart or trailer, it's not ideal for backing quickly or other such issues. It's best to have the sprayer following the tractor as you don't want to over treat an area while backing a trailer or the other issues which come with using a trailer instead of a set up which will follow the tractor like a 3 point hitch or the set up I used with the 2" hitch receiver.

For my new tractor, I went with Deere's Frontier 45 gallon sprayer without the booms. It works extremely well and I was very impressed with the quality of all of the parts and pieces. It sprays a real consistent 24' wide and with nothing sticking out from the sprayer. You can see the "spray bar" on the rear of the sprayer in the first photo.

I also really like the wireless remote for turning the sprayer on and off while operating the tractor. It's a small key fob and works great.

IMG_20180502_123808443.jpg

IMG_20180502_115727038_HDR.jpg

I really like the hand held spray head and hose set up. It's really good quality and it's handy for spraying the stone landscape areas and under the pine trees, etc. I use it to "Chemically edge" around retaining walls, trees, etc. to significantly reduce the string trimming. I am not a big fan of string trimming around trees as it can really tear up the bark on the stump and cause other issues, damaging the tree.

I have owned a couple of the Northern Tool Sprayers and they were good sprayers for the money.

As Tree Farmer mentioned, you don't want to over mix material and then end up dumping it, so it's easier to mix up a couple of tanks full verses having too much. Also, sprayers are used just a few times a year and they take up a fair amount of room to store in between use, so keep that in mind as well.

Make sure to fill your new sprayer with just water while you are checking the spray patterns and widths and trying it out for the first time. Not only is it safer, it's a great way to measure the results when you spray the water on pavement and you can keep making adjustment to get the sprayer function right where you want it. Also, it's better to waste just water than to have the chemicals mixed and then find out something isn't quite right and you have to make changes, etc. to the spray rig.

One of my neighbors bought a new sprayer for his Cub Cadet and had it all hooked up and filled with broad leaf spray and he couldn't get the pump to work. Turned out it was a defective pump, but it certainly would have been easier to deal with had the sprayer been full of water verses actual weed killer.

One last point, it's probably safest to either install a dedicated wiring harness directly to the battery on your tractor with a fuse right at the battery or use the alligator clip temporary harness which comes with the Northern Tool sprayers. Some of the pumps draw a lot of amps and you don't want to overload any of the electrical circuits on your new machine by trying to "splice in" and draw 12 volt from a circuit used for other things on your new machine.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
I Personally like the 3 point 40 gallon Fimco with the electric pump. It works great for me.

Now, it really depends on how many acres you have and how often you are going to spray.

I use mine for my lawn only which is about 3/4 acre of grass. I own about 1 1/2 acres but actual grass is only about 3/4 acre.

Trimec recommends 1 gallon of water mixed with Trimec per 1000 Sq. Ft. So, if you are spraying an acre (43,560 sq. ft.), you would need 43.5 gallons of mix.

Now realistically, carrying a sprayer larger than 40 gallons isn't practical on a small tractor. Water weighs 8.34 lb. per gallon. So, 40 gallons of water will weigh 334 lb. not counting the sprayer itself. This will most likely require front suitcase weights on your 7xx if you fill it.

I put 30 gallons in my 40 gallon sprayer. When spraying with my 1025R, I put some suitcase weights on the front. Now, my yard is a pretty steep hill.

·
Registered
178 Posts
sbronemann,

I would tend to go with a click-n-go or 3ph model of sprayer over a tow behind. I had a Hardi 30 gallon ES sprayer that was originally a tow-behind model.

P1040552a.jpg

I converted it to be a 3PH one and really like how it is now more compact and maneuverable. I was able re-rig it without cutting any of the hoses.

P1040595a.jpg

It also takes less room to store.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sbronemann,

I would tend to go with a click-n-go or 3ph model of sprayer over a tow behind. I had a Hardi 30 gallon ES sprayer that was originally a tow-behind model.

View attachment 620066

I converted it to be a 3PH one and really like how it is now more compact and maneuverable. I was able re-rig it without cutting any of the hoses.

View attachment 620074

It also takes less room to store.
Ya, I think I may just get the click and go model from John Deere. They are a bit spendy, but what does John Deere have that isn't spendy?! Does that use the plug in the rear of the tractor or is there a harness that goes directly to the battery?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I also have the same decision to make on a spray for my x738. I posted a similar thread about a month ago. Some of the replies I had from my thread is that the John deer sprayer is built better than the cheaper sprayers. So it is worth the extra cost.
I also wonder if it is alright to store the sprayer in an unheated garage during the winter when it is freezing? Never know if their is water still in some of the lines and fittings.

·
Premium Member
10,926 Posts
I also have the same decision to make on a spray for my x738. I posted a similar thread about a month ago. Some of the replies I had from my thread is that the John deer sprayer is built better than the cheaper sprayers. So it is worth the extra cost.
I also wonder if it is alright to store the sprayer in an unheated garage during the winter when it is freezing? Never know if their is water still in some of the lines and fittings.
The JD 25-gallon mounted sprayer is made by Superior Tech. You are definitely paying for the JD name. The construction is pretty much identical to other sprayers out there... plastic tank, an electric motor, plastic valves and some rubber tubing. In fact, there are some that are even better made. The advantage it has is the JD mounting bracket.

I store mine in an unheated garage. Prior to storage, get yourself a gallon of pink RV anti-freeze and pour about half the container in the tank. Then run the sprayer wand and boom nozzles. Drain any remaining fluid from the tank but leave whatever remains in the pump and hoses. You will then have no problem with freezing. I bought it in March a few years ago and put it in the garage. We had a couple cold nights and the water that the dealer used to test it froze and split the hand sprayer. Fortunately it was replaced under warranty. So be sure to use the RV anti-freeze prior to any cold weather.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts

I also use the RV antifreeze to flush out any water in the lines and pump before storing in the winter in my unheated shed.
When I get ready to use again the next season, I just put some water in the tank and flush the RV antifreeze out of the pump and lines. Plus, this gives me a chance to check out the operation of the sprayer before I mix up any type of spray solution.

·
Registered
8,161 Posts
While you may pay a little more to get the sprayer from Deere, you will always be able to get the parts you need through one source, the Deere part's department. I have the 45 gallon Frontier 3 point sprayer and it's a very well made unit. I used it again today and it has the very best hand held sprayer I have ever used. Great flow control and adjust-ability. Plus, in the stream form, I could get the sprayer to shoot a stream nearly 50 feet.

Another advantage is my Frontier Sprayer recirculates the material and keeps it mixed up. I also like the tank has a small sump in the very bottom for the supply line and I can really draw all of the fluid out of the sprayer, while also having the drain on the end which empties the tank without having to tip it side to side.

Yes, the Deere / Frontier accessories are more money, but I haven't had one yet that disappointed me.

The click and go for the X7XX series is the way to go over any type of "pull behind" unit.

I use my compressor to blow out the sprayer hoses and the same for my two power washer units. I have stored them in the unheated shed for years without any problems. But I sure wouldn't store one without either blowing the lines out (and the pump) or using RV anti freeze as the pumps can get pricey in a hurry.

·
Premium Member
10,926 Posts
While you may pay a little more to get the sprayer from Deere, you will always be able to get the parts you need through one source, the Deere part's department. I have the 45 gallon Frontier 3 point sprayer and it's a very well made unit.
That is certainly true for the Frontier equipment but a bit less so for the OEM Spyker and Superior Tech equipment. These are NOT Deere/Frontier implements. When it comes to parts JD treats these units like a red-headed step child as they do not list any of the parts in JD Parts. When I had an issue with a cracked hand wand on my 25-gallon mounted sprayer I actually had better luck going directly to Superior Tech to get a replacement.

·
Registered
342 Posts
A 3PH model is a better option than the the click n go because you can install removed with fluid in the tank. And you can get a bigger sprayer. I used a small tank sprayer for a number of years, but it wasn't big enough and had no boom. The fimco 40 with the 10' boom is a nice fit for properties up to a few acres. I added a spring loaded hose reel with 50' of hose to mine. It works great.

And the 3PH is just so versatile. So many other uses.

Here is mine:
IMG_0098.jpg

·
Registered
8,161 Posts
A 3PH model is a better option than the the click n go because you can install removed with fluid in the tank. And you can get a bigger sprayer. I used a small tank sprayer for a number of years, but it wasn't big enough and had no boom. The fimco 40 with the 10' boom is a nice fit for properties up to a few acres. I added a spring loaded hose reel with 50' of hose to mine. It works great.

And the 3PH is just so versatile. So many other uses.

Here is mine:
View attachment 621170
I think the OP's machine doesn't have the 3 point hitch, as he has an X7XX series machine and it doesn't sound like he either has the 3PH or any plans to add one. Otherwise, I would agree completely with your comment........In his situation, the click N go might be his only option other than a "tow behind", which I definitely would make my last choice.....

Also, if he is hanging the sprayer off the rear of his tractor, he needs to be aware of the weight as the 45 gallon sprayer I have weighs about 50lbs empty (roughly) and of course water weighs another 8.3 pounds per gallon, so that would add another 375 pounds to total roughly 425lbs, which hanging on the rear of the x7xx would likely require some suitcase weights out front for balance.......

·
Registered
342 Posts
I think the OP's machine doesn't have the 3 point hitch, as he has an X7XX series machine and it doesn't sound like he either has the 3PH or any plans to add one. Otherwise, I would agree completely with your comment........In his situation, the click N go might be his only option other than a "tow behind", which I definitely would make my last choice.....

Also, if he is hanging the sprayer off the rear of his tractor, he needs to be aware of the weight as the 45 gallon sprayer I have weighs about 50lbs empty (roughly) and of course water weighs another 8.3 pounds per gallon, so that would add another 375 pounds to total roughly 425lbs, which hanging on the rear of the x7xx would likely require some suitcase weights out front for balance.......
Obviously, he'd have to add the 3PH. It's not out of the realm of possibilities. Worth every penny to do so. Opens up so many other options too, like aerator, thatcher, vacuum, omni-hitch, tow-bar, carry-all, etc.. And get a couple of suitcase weights for the front or make your own front weight.

I also have the Click n Go. But haven' t used it. Thought it might be good with the leaf bagger system. Still thinking on that one. Click n Go is an OK option, as long as you are good with only attaching while empty, and the small tank is acceptable.

Tow behind, I'm not a fan. Too hard to maneuver and get even coverage unless you have big wide open fields.

·
Registered
226 Posts
...When it comes to parts JD treats these units like a red-headed step child as they do not list any of the parts in JD Parts. When I had an issue with a cracked hand wand on my 25-gallon mounted sprayer I actually had better luck going directly to Superior Tech to get a replacement.
And that may not be a bad thing - the SuperiorTech guys have been pretty helpful.

FWIW re a larger sprayer on the back of a SCUT (I'm assuming that the click and go is something like a 3 point hitch):

I re-plumbed my 60 gallon sprayer so that it had 7 nozzles spaced at 20" rather than 5 nozzles at 30". I also downsized the nozzles from .4 (red) to .2 (yellow) gpm. I was concerned about the weight of 60 gallons of water on the back of a 1025R, and these mods enabled me to lower the CG of the unit by 10" and run more slowly. I toss a few 5 gallon buckets of rocks in the FEL and am very comfortable with a 60 gallon payload. But, my land is gently sloping rather than hilly, I keep the speed down, am extra cautious on any turns that aren't on flat land, put the ROPS up and buckle the seat belt...​

The 2-4D based products that I use (Trimec in the yard; Brash, Weedmaster, and Crossbow in the hayfield) generally call for 1-2 quarts of product in 20-40 gallons of H20/acre.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I just bought the 25G Deere sprayer for my x758 on the click and go.
Assembly may take an hour, will be using it this Saturday when my weed killer ever arrives!!

I got the click/go because I wanted to maneuver I hate towing things behind unless absolutely necessary like a cart or something

1 - 20 of 22 Posts