Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UGH! I hate this thing. It's a 6-7 year old Brinly. I've been cleaning out the tractor shed to make more room for my 1026r and my recent overindulgence in implements and attachments, and I've come across 4-5 bags of various season Scott's fertilizer. I think to myself, well, the front lawn (~1acre) has alot of weeds and crabgrass and could use some help, and the chickens and dogs don't get out there so I'll feed the lawn mixing all the seasonal offerings together as per advise from members of this forum.

I know I have this 175lb capacity Brinly in the lower shed so I bring it up, get some air in the tyres, load it up with a bunch of bags, mix it up and head out to the front yard open the chute and start making my way around the yard. After a while it becomes apparent I am not getting any distribution, so I stop and examine, but everything appears ok, so I try again, no love. I fiddled and tried, and fiddled and tried and after an hour of my life that I will never get back I gave up.

Well this knawed at me all day yesterday. I looked up suggestions for a new spreader, found they all pretty much work/look the same and run anywhere from $175-$350 for the big one. Well that burns me cuz I know this thing should work, and I don't want to throw more good money after bad for something I use once every 5 years....so I went out to the Brinly website and they have a pretty good parts section there for these spreaders. I looked at the explosion diagrams and decided to go take apart the spreader and find out whats wrong.

I go out to the shed and first I need to unload 175lbs of fertilizer into something. I find a galvanized pan we use for bath the dog and I dump it in there. I flip the spreader upside down and take apart the plastic bell housing on the transmission and I behold the cheapest freaking plastic gear and pinion EVER!!! Well, it's only a $26.95 part on the Brinly site so I order it and a few of the additional fiddlybits because if I don't I will certainly need them when I do the repair. (If I order them I won't need them so I'll put them in the "Just in Case" drawer.) All told, with shipping about $45. It had better work like a charm now! I will try to do some pics when I do the repair.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
I have one from TSC and it has metal gears int he bottom that are open. Pretty simple design, but the tires are poor and are on plastic rims so I cannot foam them. I put tubes in them as they keep leaking air. I am unsure that any of the tow behinds are really built well.

·
Administrator
18,465 Posts
Not this this will help, but I haven't' seen anything with the Brinly name on it that looked well built. Plastic gears in a spreader? That's just wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I bought a Made in The USA smaller pull behind spreader a couple years ago from ACE hardware. It said metal gearbox and was $160. So far it's been reliable. Too narrow as I've tipped it twice and had burn marks to show for it. I've yet to see one I really liked. Hope the parts work out for you!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's that time of year again.

So last year I rebuilt it, went out to fertilize and was very frustrated because of the clumping in the fertilizer and the most ridiculously cheap wire 2" long agitator that doesn't do a damn thing to keep the stuff moving. the whole afternoon it was start and stop and stir he pot, sometimes causing a bunch to fall out, and that caused a dead spot in the lawn. I'm suprised I didn't put the damn thing out to the curb last year.

So I still have a bunch of fertilizer and it's time to go do this all again, but I am thinking I need to improve on the agitator, anyone had any experience upgrading the agitator to something that actually works?

Thanks!
Randy

·
Premium Member
13,002 Posts
I just bought a JD 175lb pull-type from the dealer a few weeks ago (LP25354). It is a bit larger than I needed but the wide stance of the tires makes it very resistant to tipping over. I hear it is supposed to be made by Brinly but it appears better made than any of the Brinly's I've seen. It has metal drive gears with a grease fitting no less. I gave it a good work out this past weekend and it performed flawlessly.

·
Administrator
18,465 Posts
Can you take some pics of the current setup Randy?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you take some pics of the current setup Randy?
Sure Kenny, I'll try to get that in the next day or two. Need to pull it out from behind, well, you probably know....

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have one of those type, but with the star aerator under it. It still works - sort of - as long as I don't over fill it. Anyway, it just isn't wide enough for my tractor, and doesn't have adequate capacity. So, I started looking for alternatives in the 48" or wider option. Two good mfrs popped up: Gandy and Garber. I think the Gandy is a little better made, but priced at over $1200! The Garber is a little cheaper, but still too steep for my blood. So I kept looking on craigslist. A pretty nondescript ad. showed a spreader with a price of $400 dollars. I thought: "well maybe, if it's what I think and I can get him down a bit" So I replied to the ad. asking questions about the spreader and if he would take $250. He didn't know much about it, but said to come look at it; that he'd probably take $250 for it. So I went to look. Sure enough it was a 5' Garber in good shape. The only thing I noticed was that it was missing the setting CAM, and the drive wheel was stiff from sitting for years. I pointed these out to the owner and went home with the spreader for $200. I bought a replacement CAM and on/off lever extension so I can reach from the seat across my 3PH from Garber, repainted it, and now I have one sweet, well-built spreader. Nice solid agitator with "waffle" plates, and grease fittings on the axle and drive gear. No plastic anywhere. I need to take some photos, but mine is just like this guys except tow behind rather than 3PH:

Three point Garber 5 ft spreader

I can get a 3PH adapter for it, but it backs easily and can be turned off from the seat. So, decided I didn't need to spend the money for it. Someone should really make a decent spreader in the 48" range for an affordable price. Just not out there. Business opportunity for some enterprising metal worker.

·
Registered
446 Posts
gittyup, nice drop spreader, which I could find one around that price.

My hunch is that Ransx77 has a broadcast spreader. That is what I have currently.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have a craftsman broadcast spreader too. It has metal gears (though pot metal) and a wire agitator. Works good for granular stuff. It's pretty big. Seems to pretty well made, overall. My uncle said it would turn over on his steep property. So he gave it to me. Never tried it for powdered lime or seed. Suspect it's not good for powdered lime, and it would throw seed where I don't want it (flower beds). Hence, the drop spreader. In fact, I might look to modify the broadcaster to dispense compost. Will have to think about that one.

gittyup, nice drop spreader, which I could find one around that price.

My hunch is that Ransx77 has a broadcast spreader. That is what I have currently.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Spreader

The higher end spreaders from John Deere are built by Stryker which is owned by Brinly. Once you get them adjusted to the size of the fertilizer granules they will do a great job. I usually apply at the half rate setting then spread a second time at a right angle to the first spreading. As far as applying lime, I apply the pelletized lime this stuff is awesome, most of the big box store have this available.

·
Premium Member
13,002 Posts
The higher end spreaders from John Deere are built by Stryker which is owned by Brinly.
That's the one! (It's actually Spyker) Thank you, this is good information. There is a lot of info available on the Spyker website, much more than the JD website.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry about miss naming, had a brain f**t. Things like that happen when you get old. Once you start the adjustments stay with it until you get it where you want it. I changed out the flow rate adjustment cable and handle to the longer stainless steel handle and rod, much better than the flexible cable.

·
Premium Member
13,002 Posts
No problem! You solved the mystery of the manufacturer. I had questions posted on several forums and no one seemed to know where the JD 125lb and 175lb pull-behinds were made. I was looking for a owners manual to review prior to purchasing mine. The drive gears look to be well built on these units, they are all metal and Spyker gives them a lifetime warranty. I doubt JD carries that warranty over to their OEM models. I also didn't realize these spreaders were made in the USA.

Parts seem to be inexpensive and readily available directly from Spyker. Still not sure why JD has no parts listing. So unless I need a replacement GREEN hopper, I know where I will be getting any parts if needed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You are right about the replacement parts. I have the 175 spreader that I bought 5 years ago. As the years have gone by Spyker has made modifications to their spreaders. I really liked the adjustment changes and I ordered the parts and upgraded my spreader, it is much more accurate. I have had other broadcast spreaders but like this one the best for my needs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts