Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys . I found a problem on my new to me X530 . The tow lever does not work . I pulled the rear fender and the arm where it goes into the trans will only move with a great deal of effort . It worked very easily on my L130 . Have you guys come across this ? Is it something I should attempt to fix or is this a problem better left to a dealer ? :flag_of_truce:
BTW , I found this problem while I was replacing the fuel level sensor , which fixed the fuel level gauge . woohoo !!!
Thanks for the help .

·
Administrator
20,688 Posts
Have you tried lubricating it where the shaft goes into the trans?

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tried lubricating it where the shaft goes into the trans?
Yes , I did that . That got it to move with the aid of vise grips . Still very tight .:banghead:

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably free up after a good soak and rock the mosheen back and forth while ya pull the rod.
Funny you should say "good soak " cause went out today (4 days since working on it) and worked it some with the vise grips and it seems to be freeing up . Can almost move the lever by hand . Gave it another soak with WD-40 and will work on it again Wed. Hopefully will be good to go .:bigthumb:
Thanks for the tips and enjoy the holidays !!:drinks:

·
Administrator
17,975 Posts
Ron, do you have anything other than WD40 to try? It's not the best penetrant or lubricant.

·
Premium Member
14,727 Posts
Ron, do you have anything other than WD40 to try? It's not the best penetrant or lubricant.
My thoughts also,, if you have PB blaster.. much better IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used a product called "Break Free" as well . I'm not sure what kind of packing is around the shaft and didn't want anything that might compromise it . :dunno:

·
Administrator
20,688 Posts
WD-40 is an excellent cleaner and solvent that isn't harmful to many surfaces. As a penetrating oil, it sucks... WD will evaporate over a short period of time.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Are you sure the lever is actuating what it's supposed to?

On my L130 mine went limp for lack of a better term as it had come off the lever that actually ran into the trans case that actually moved stuff inside the trans.

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you sure the lever is actuating what it's supposed to?

On my L130 mine went limp for lack of a better term as it had come off the lever that actually ran into the trans case that actually moved stuff inside the trans.
Yes , I'm sure as I have disassembled the tractor and removed the lever from the arm myself . It functions as it's supposed to minus the effort to actuate it . Thanks:good2:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Yes , I'm sure as I have disassembled the tractor and removed the lever from the arm myself . It functions as it's supposed to minus the effort to actuate it . Thanks:good2:
Great work, nice to keep eliminating possibilities and get to the root of the problem, good luck. I also agree with KennyD, please try something other than WD-40, as far as lubes and getting stuff broken free there are many many other better products.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought a can of "KNOCK 'ER LOOSE" a month or so ago. It'll make ya throw rocks at everything else. WD-40 has been penetrating, lubricating, and evaporating for longer than most of us have been breathing, so I won't ever saw anything negative about it. PBB is low on my preferred list solely on the vile, putrid, what in everything holy is that SMELL aspect.

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All is Good

Well after several days of soaking and working back and forth , I finally have a working tow lever . :good2:
While I had it all apart I decided I would go ahead and change the traction belt which went relatively well except for rehooking up the spring . I also reassembled the power flow which I had torn apart for a thorough cleaning and ended up having to basically rebuild it .:flag_of_truce:
All in all a pretty good day . Thanks for all the help and advise .:greentractorride:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I bought a can of "KNOCK 'ER LOOSE" a month or so ago. It'll make ya throw rocks at everything else. WD-40 has been penetrating, lubricating, and evaporating for longer than most of us have been breathing, so I won't ever saw anything negative about it. PBB is low on my preferred list solely on the vile, putrid, what in everything holy is that SMELL aspect.
Have not seen that stuff in a long time. Does it still have a pick of an ape on the can?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I'm partial to Kroil myself, both for performance and aroma:mocking:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts