Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,762 Posts
You could remove the cluster and replace the tiny incandescent bulbs with LED replacements.

I had a couple of bulbs out on the overhead console and instrument cluster on the 08 Toyota Sienna. Replaced all the bulbs with LED's from Superbrightleds.com. Not sure what model and year vehicle you have but Toyota wanted ~$7 per bulb and I paid about $2 each for the LED replacements. These are quite a bit brighter as well.

LED Bulbs

·
Registered
153 Posts
LEDs are a popular upgrade on the TacomaWorld forum . The interior lighting in my ‘20 Taco is lacking but I get nervous working on the electrical/electronics in these high tech vehicles.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could remove the cluster and replace the tiny incandescent bulbs with LED replacements.

I had a couple of bulbs out on the overhead console and instrument cluster on the 08 Toyota Sienna. Replaced all the bulbs with LED's from Superbrightleds.com. Not sure what model and year vehicle you have but Toyota wanted ~$7 per bulb and I paid about $2 each for the LED replacements. These are quite a bit brighter as well.

LED Bulbs
Thanks
Tundra 2016

·
Premium Member
3,455 Posts
There is nothing wrong with your cluster. I mean there is, but it's not broken. It is simply how Toyota made it.
For whatever dumb reason Toyota shut off the backlighting of the gauges from I believe it was model years 2014-2017. Only way to get them to back light is to turn on the headlights or at least the driving marker lights on those year models. Drove me crazy when I had a 17 Tundra. Did not matter what trim either.
I had a platinum that I personally drove and had a SR5 long bed for the shop, both were the same, could not see the gauges without turning on the headlights. I later had a 2020 Platinum and also still have that 2017 and 2 more, 2021 SR5s long bed in my business. I complained to Toyota dealer about this for years on those older models, always the same answer, nothing they could do. Toyota must have heard the complaints, since they did fix it on, I believe the 2018-2021 models. Our 2020 and 2021s backlight the gages all the time like they should be.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is nothing wrong with your cluster. I mean there is, but it's not broken. It is simply how Toyota made it.
For whatever dumb reason Toyota shut off the backlighting of the gauges from I believe it was model years 2014-2017. Only way to get them to back light is to turn on the headlights or at least the driving marker lights on those year models. Drove me crazy when I had a 17 Tundra. Did not matter what trim either.
I had a platinum that I personally drove and had a SR5 long bed for the shop, both were the same, could not see the gauges without turning on the headlights. I later had a 2020 Platinum and also still have that 2017 and 2 more, 2021 SR5s long bed in my business. I complained to Toyota dealer about this for years on those older models, always the same answer, nothing they could do. Toyota must have heard the complaints, since they did fix it on, I believe the 2018-2021 models. Our 2020 and 2021s backlight the gages all the time like they should be.
Thanks for the information .

Head-lights --- I've been there and about all that accomplishes for me is turns the navigation screen off during daylight hours and there is a real possibility i'm doing that wrong . So at this time i'm still driving in daylight with a black instrument panel . And I drive a 2016 tundra with the same problem . There must be an ( eye ) somewhere that could be covered to simulate after dark driving .

I've wondered how long my retired AA captain brother in-law would have tolerated that in his jumbo jet . Betting not a second flight .

·
Premium Member
3,455 Posts
Sounds like cluster is turned all the way to dim, which if memory serves also darkens infotainment/nav screen as you described when the headlights are on. If I can remember tomorrow I try and find that adjustment dial or buttons and post a pic for you. If the headlights are off there is not any backlighting of gages at all that would be normal in a 2016. So what I saying is that adjuster only works when the headlights or driving lights are on.

·
Premium Member
3,455 Posts
Here is couple videos.
i am pretty sure your 2016 is like this video showing how to tips on a 2014.
See this video at 3:35 time mark he shows the dial to turn up the back lighting when the lights are on.

The newer models 18-21 are back lit all the time and use this method to adjust the brightness.

Reactions: SeniorSitizen

·
Premium Member
3,455 Posts
I tried head lights on and rheostat adjustment to the left of steering and with lights on it looked like the cluster lights changed an estimated 1/2 candle power . :rolleyes:
The dial on the left panel side of the steering column adjust the angle of the headlights Up and down.

Reactions: SeniorSitizen

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Here is couple videos.
i am pretty sure your 2016 is like this video showing how to tips on a 2014.
See this video at 3:35 time mark he shows the dial to turn up the back lighting when the lights are on.

The newer models 18-21 are back lit all the time and use this method to adjust the brightness.
Thanks
That's the best vid i've seen .
Glad to see an improvement made on the newer trucks , but i can't trade because my 2016 has 31,000 , just broke in and looks new . I've gotta drive it until i'm pushing daises .;)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll be questioning my dealer to see if they can determine where the photoelectric sensor is that tells the instrument cluster it's dark outdoors . I can solve that light problem with duck tape and hopefully that one doesn't control the driving lights too .

·
Premium Member
3,455 Posts
If you have an auto position on the headlight stalk, then there would be light sensor, but covering that would simply turn on the headlights assuming it is in Auto mode.
If you do not have an auto headlight mode on the headlight stalk then I would assume there would not be a light sensor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts