Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got tired of having to run to the neighborhood garage and paying them to reset the TPMS systems on my vehicles so I bought an ATEQ VT-31 TPMS reader tool and ATEQ's QuickSet tool to load the data into the cars.

I used this setup and it reads and loads the data for both my summer and snow tires for my truck (2012 Toyota Tundra) no problem. It also reads/loads the data for the summer tires for the wife's car (2016 Infinity Q50) without problems.

But for some reason, it won't trigger the TPMS monitors in the snow tires for her car. When I do the exact same thing with those wheels/tires as I do with the other 3 sets, I get nothing. Not one of the 4 winter tires for her car will trigger.

Is it possible that the two sets of TPMS sensors in her car of different types? Maybe the reader can read one kind but not the other? I'm not sure if it's possible to use two different types in one car!

Or does this mean that the batteries are dead in all 4 of the sensors in that set of wheels/tires are dead? That would be odd since they are all the newest sensors of the 4 sets.

Are there any other possibilities I'm not thinking of?

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
You need to check those wheels to see if they have the sensors inside them. You possibly bought a couple of wheels at the junk yard or elsewhere that are older wheels before they included sensors. My F250 pickup only has sensors on the wheels on the ground. The full size spare does not have a sensor.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you sure there are monitors?:dunno:
they could be mounted like a spare tire, with a $2 stem,,,,:flag_of_truce:
I suppose it is possible that someone snuck into my garage, stole the TPMS stems and replaced them with the $2 stems! :laugh:

They worked fine last winter. Not sure how they would have gotten replaced.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
I read that TPMS sensors do have a battery and do have a "limited life" of about 7 years (depends on the make and model). So is it possible though these tires have the "newest" sensors, they were really "recycled" from another car and the batteries just happen to all run down since the last time you reset them?

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I read that TPMS sensors do have a battery and do have a "limited life" of about 7 years (depends on the make and model).
Things can happen all at once,,
I purchased this trailer in 1999,,

The wheels happend to have the defective stems that were made out of the wrong type rubber.
ALL FOUR tires went flat within a month of each other,, when the trailer was about 10 years old.

I was positive someone walked into the yard and let the air out of the tires,,
then, when I tried to add air, I found the stem leaking.

With so many variables, how could they all fail between 120 and 121 months old,,, :dunno:

·
Super Moderator
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I read that TPMS sensors do have a battery and do have a "limited life" of about 7 years (depends on the make and model). So is it possible though these tires have the "newest" sensors, they were really "recycled" from another car and the batteries just happen to all run down since the last time you reset them?

Just my 2 cents.
They were brand new when we bought them but the batteries all dying is the only answer I can come up with. ATEQ's FAQ says that is "very rare".

·
Super Moderator
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You need to check those wheels to see if they have the sensors inside them. You possibly bought a couple of wheels at the junk yard or elsewhere that are older wheels before they included sensors. My F250 pickup only has sensors on the wheels on the ground. The full size spare does not have a sensor.

Dave
These were brand new wheels/sensors/tires that we bought from Tire Rack. They worked fine for the last 2 winters so the sensors are there. I took them off the car last spring and put them back on just before Christmas. They sat in my garage the whole summer.

·
Registered
21,495 Posts
These were brand new wheels/sensors/tires that we bought from Tire Rack. They worked fine for the last 2 winters so the sensors are there. I took them off the car last spring and put them back on just before Christmas. They sat in my garage the whole summer.
Have you tried running the wheels/tires for a bit?

A couple years ago when installing my winter set I had one sensor that wouldn’t take - tried 3 times. Had to quit and drove to work. Got home the next day (84 miles) and tried it again and it worked. Maybe running the truck for a while woke the sensor up after being stored for the summer?

·
Super Moderator
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you tried running the wheels/tires for a bit?

A couple years ago when installing my winter set I had one sensor that wouldn’t take - tried 3 times. Had to quit and drove to work. Got home the next day (84 miles) and tried it again and it worked. Maybe running the truck for a while woke the sensor up after being stored for the summer?
Been running them since just before Christmas with just about 3,000 miles since then.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Did you try putting a fresh set of batteries in your setting tool?:dunno:

More 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
don't know if this will help but this is how the system works on 2016 ram trucks and most Chrysler vehicles use this system infinity and Toyota might be different

Attachments

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
A few weeks back I was searching for a TPMS reset tool for my '08 GMC Sierra and IIRC the sensors are available with different radio frequencies. I didn't locate a tool for my '08 but I got sidetracked on something else. My truck is a work truck(WT) without the DIC and warning on instrument panel states "service tire monitor system" so I think I have one or more weak sensor batteries.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts