Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across a company that makes track kits for utv's as well as tractors in the 3 series and larger. It sorta got me thinking how cool would it be a have a track kit for a 1 series. It'd be awesome to drag logs out of the woods in the winter not to mention how much better it could be at plowing snow. Anyone know of anyone who might make something that fits our tractors?

·
Super Moderator
5,214 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,214 Posts

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
My dealer has a Gator with tracks on it sitting outside. They put them together for guys that do a lot of ice fishing. Never seen them on a CUT before. I wonder how much they weigh compared to tires. Not like you can add wheel weights or fluid to them.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I have a set on one of my 4-wheelers. The salesman said they would go through just about anything... He was wrong. They will go OVER anything. I can go places that my snowmobile can only dream about! They are ok in the mud as long as the mud is on the thicker side. They are wonderful in the sand. I was told not to drive on hard surfaces or turn sharply though because the machine needs to be in 4-wheel-drive all the time the tracks are on it. Because of this, I'm not sure if they would be a good idea on a tractor. What about only putting them on the back to make a half-track? Tire chains would probably work just as well for a tenth the price.

That being said, they certainly look really cool.

Reactions: HydroHarold

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Somebody would have to convince me hands down that those things, 4 or just rears, would be any better than conventional chains on a 1XXX tractor. The more surface applied to snow the less traction is generated. It's like making a machine "lighter" and for plowing snow that's not so good. Now, 1" carbide spikes sticking out of them... then we can talk.:laugh: A perfect 10 on the "Cool Factor Scale" though!!

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Ford had a half track set up for their 8 and 9 Ns
The half track setups were built by a company called ARPS, really neat design. An idler axle mounted in the middle of the tractor, then the tracks were driven by the rear tires. The only problem was steering, you pretty much had to use the brakes and the wheel together.

I doubt most SCUT/ MCUT sized tractors would have the clearance to mount the idler axle beneath it. If using a front implement, maybe some kind of pusher axle behind the drive tires? :munch:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
You guys want to pay for tracks,,
when radial tires will give you 90% of the benefits for less than a third of the cost?? :dunno:

I have used radials,,, amazing,,

What is the turning radius of that track equipped JD in the pic,,, about 100 feet?? :flag_of_truce:

Some guys have troubles when putting chains on the front of a 4WD,,,,:confused:

·
Super Moderator
5,214 Posts
You guys want to pay for tracks,,
when radial tires will give you 90% of the benefits for less than a third of the cost?? :dunno:
Will radial tires get you up the side of a mountain where there is no road and the snow is 8' deep?

"Benefits" are relative to the user's objectives. We had someone on here (John?) just a few months ago looking at tracks to use on a machine so he could groom cross-country ski trails.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Will radial tires get you up the side of a mountain where there is no road and the snow is 8' deep?

"Benefits" are relative to the user's objectives. We had someone on here (John?) just a few months ago looking at tracks to use on a machine so he could groom cross-country ski trails.
There is always one exception,,, sure tracks on snow,,,

Try mowing the lawn with tracks,,, :dunno:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Somebody would have to convince me hands down that those things, 4 or just rears, would be any better than conventional chains on a 1XXX tractor. The more surface applied to snow the less traction is generated. It's like making a machine "lighter" and for plowing snow that's not so good. Now, 1" carbide spikes sticking out of them... then we can talk. A perfect 10 on the "Cool Factor Scale" though!!
Spikes like these??
uploadfromtaptalk1454496435247.jpg

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Gettin' there....! I'd like to see the equivelent height of "X-braced" chains for tracks, there's the height for traction. But then I'm sticking with chained rears, the only way to maintain the originally designed potential for an SCUT.:good2:

·
Registered
374 Posts
I've seen a set up like shown in post #4 in the cranberry bogs near here..
Seems to work well..
Have to imagine they are quite pricey..

Good luck..

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Ford had a half track set up for their 8 and 9 Ns
Massey Ferguson had these too for later model tractors with the idler wheel. When I was a kid we had friends who had a sugar tree orchard and would put them on for collecting sap. We used my uncles JD crawler (2 cylinder) and we had canadian chains on our MF and our IH for use in our orchard. The terrain always had snow and mud being that it was the spring of the year.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Somebody would have to convince me hands down that those things, 4 or just rears, would be any better than conventional chains on a 1XXX tractor. The more surface applied to snow the less traction is generated. It's like making a machine "lighter" and for plowing snow that's not so good. Now, 1" carbide spikes sticking out of them... then we can talk.:laugh: A perfect 10 on the "Cool Factor Scale" though!!
They do have grouser bars that you can put on the ones for a tractor. It is their Track-Tor-Assist model. You can find them in their catalog found here Mattracks | Catalog

1 - 20 of 21 Posts